How does the DVR know what is first run?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I guess mine never got taught what first run is.
I set it to record only first run Glenn Becks and it records the one at 2pm and again at 11.
Is there a code or something it is not reading?

It's easy enough to delete the second one, just wondering

Last edited:
I set it to record only first run Glenn Becks and it records the one at 2am and again at 11.

Normally that info is sent to the Tribune company, they do the guide info for D*.

IIRC, it is coming for the PSIP info sent from the network, that the Trib gets and sends along.

Hey Scott,
Where did the Glossary get put ?

I have found that the major network shows seem to work well with first run only but programs on Food Network and TNT etc. wants to record all of them sometimes. I noticed that mine re-recorded the pilot of Memphis Beat when it was rerun over the weekend.

I think it goes by the "first aired date" which is shown in the info screen. If it airs multiple times that day that could affect it. Just my theory, nothing to back it up.

I have found that the major network shows seem to work well with first run only but programs on Food Network and TNT etc. wants to record all of them sometimes. I noticed that mine re-recorded the pilot of Memphis Beat when it was rerun over the weekend.

Did you still have the first recording on the drive?

I set it to record only first run Glenn Becks and it records the one at 2am and again at 11.

I have the same issue with Stossel. His show is weekly with the same episode shown several times during the week. The guide list each broadcast as first run so the DVR thinks it is first run. I only need it to record one of the week's broadcast. Other Discovery Channels marathons often have the same problem. The marathon shows are often listed as first run even though they are repeats.

Did you still have the first recording on the drive?

Yes
As a matter of fact the Friday 2pm show was recorded again at 11 and again the next day and again the next day. All the same "episodes"

I have the same issue with Stossel. His show is weekly with the same episode shown several times during the week. The guide list each broadcast as first run so the DVR thinks it is first run. I only need it to record one of the week's broadcast. Other Discovery Channels marathons often have the same problem. The marathon shows are often listed as first run even though they are repeats.

Guess I will just use the "Delete" button.

Interesting .... I have shows that are currently recording weekly, Eureka and Haven and they are set for 1st run .... they show the current weeks episode thru out the week, but they never record more than once.

Sorry I missed your 1st reply Greg; mine skipped the "extra" listings while the 1st recording was still on the drive.

"How does the DVR know what is first run?"

The answer is that it doesn't know what is first run or not. It simply reads whatever info that Tribune Media Services supplies and acts accordingly. The problem is that the TMS info is frequently wrong or incomplete.

I have a similar problem with The Soup on E! This has only been happening for a few weeks and it's been longer than that since the last software update. Plus I have 44 shows setup on my series links, many of them are cable shows and non of the others do this. When I look at the description for The Soup it's very generic and the first aired date is missing.

While we can blame Tribune for giving D* bad data, it's also possible that the networks are giving Tribune bad data.

I have a similar problem with The Soup on E! This has only been happening for a few weeks and it's been longer than that since the last software update. Plus I have 44 shows setup on my series links, many of them are cable shows and non of the others do this. When I look at the description for The Soup it's very generic and the first aired date is missing.

While we can blame Tribune for giving D* bad data, it's also possible that the networks are giving Tribune bad data.

Please keep us updated on this, so that if DirecTV fixes the problem , I can remove all of my "manual" timers.

I've had this problem with other talk shows, and I just delete them.

I checked the schedule of things to record and sure enough it has all the Becks set for recording for quite a few days out. I just deleted the ones at 11 and on the weekends

I checked the schedule of things to record and sure enough it has all the Becks set for recording for quite a few days out. I just deleted the ones at 11 and on the weekends

If you DVR a lot of series on FNC or FBN or even Direct101, it can be very time-consuming, deleting 10-15 shows a week per series.

Is this happening on all of the DVRs, or just the HRs?

What , a whole 10 minutes out of your week ?

I have an idea: That could be a full-time hobby. Erasing other people's DirecTV DVR duplicates. Say 15 minutes per day per customer . . that will be a full-time job for you! :)

Last edited:
I have an idea: That could be a full-time hobby. Erasing other people's DirecTV DVR duplicates. Say 15 minutes per day per customer . . that will be a full-time job for you! :)

Awesome, whats it pay ?

I'm off for another month and a half anyways :)
With the subs account I should be able to do it all from MY computer !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts