How does the DVR know what is first run?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think the Memphis Beat episode was yellow so it may have been already gone on Sunday. but I know I have seen multiple episodes of DDD from Food Network and that RVTV on that new travel type channel is never right. They have only had 3 different episodes in the last while but keeps recording them over and over again.

Has anyone wrote Directv about this? (I know it's supposedly a Tribune problem but Directv offers the service). If so, has anyone got a response back from Directv about this?

As a new convert from Dish Network I can tell you this is something the Dish receivers handled much better. They never recorded copies of the same show, even those shows like they run on Fox News or the other news channels mutliple times in the same day. Even if you set it up to record all episodes, it would know that you already have a particular episode recorded and not record anyother copy of it. The other problem with it recording the same show 4 times in one day is it will eventually conflict with another scheduled recording while watching something else. My work around has been a manual timer. But yes, it would be great if they could get this straightened out. It could work a lot better.

No regrets though. Still happy I made the switch!

Dish is using the exact same program info as DTV , but limits recording to one episode a day, unless you specify otherwise.

That would be helpful, except in my situation where the Sat and Sun shows of Beck are repeats of the one shown of Fri at 2pm. As it is now I wind up with 4 recordings of the 2pm Fri show unless I delete the repeats manually

I just wrote to DTV and asked them to look into the problem.

The Soup on E! is the only one I have been having issues with. Since that show airs multiple times per day, everyday you can see how annoying this is. Especially since this has never been a problem until a month ago. I finally just deleted the show altogether. Guess I'll setup a manual record time.

D* has to be notified and then they need to contact the Tribune company to get it solved.

Not necessarily. Directv could modify or fortify the data any way they see fit between when they get it from tribune and when they broadcast it to a customer.

Tivo manipulates the guide data that tribune sends them to massage out some common customer problems and improve the customer experience.

I got a response to my email

Response (DIRECTV) - 07/29/2010 07:11 AM
Dear Mr. Mueller,

Thank you for your recent correspondence. We apologize for not responding to your email in a timely manner; however, we are currently experiencing an unusually high email volume. To expedite your concerns, please contact the Customer Advocate Team, a division of the Office of the President, at 1-800-254-3809 between the hours of 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM MT. In addition, please utilize PIN 19xx; this PIN expires within seven days.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Advocate Team

I guess mine never got taught what first run is.
I set it to record only first run Glenn Becks and it records the one at 2pm and again at 11.
Is there a code or something it is not reading?

It's easy enough to delete the second one, just wondering

I think Barrack made this a mandate to irritate the GOP. :eek:

I have found that the major network shows seem to work well with first run only but programs on Food Network and TNT etc. wants to record all of them sometimes. I noticed that mine re-recorded the pilot of Memphis Beat when it was rerun over the weekend.

Yeah that one jumped in my mind, the premiere of memphis beat. I was like...is there a special episode tonight...not just a rerun

Okay, I remember this thread from awhile back and decided to resurrect it, because . . . I believe they have fixed the problem with first run recording events! I'm not sure when it happened, but I noticed one of my programs on Fox News is no longer re-recording the same show three times a day. It takes the first one and ignores the rest. I know this because in the past, I have to go in every couple of weeks and delete all the extra scheduled recordings. Kind of a big deal for those of us that have been frustrated by this and as someone who recently switched from Dish Network, because the Dish Network scheduling handled this well.

The guide coding for the show tells the DVR if it is first run or not. The problem comes with shows that repeat a number of times a day - if the network is lazy, they just copy the program information from one showing to the next and so they all show they are "first run".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts