[Other Topic] How DTS Envisions Its Future

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
DTS, new owner of HD Radio, is seeking to expand that digital technology further into the mid-priced segment. That’s one of the insights from an investors’ conference call led by DTS Chairman/CEO Jon Kirchner and reported by Radio World sister publication Twice.

It said iBiquity Digital Radio had been posting net operating losses when it was acquired late last year but that DTS has “made significant progress realizing operational and financial synergies,” Kirchner said.

http://www.radioworld.com/article/how-dts-envisions-its-future/278305

Not to make it personal, but AGREED. A bunch of press release big words that mean nothing.

The "HD" format is mainly being utilized by greedy broadcasters to put analog translators on the air via loopholes already discussed to death and to relay programming that already exists, like AM's being put on the HD subcarriers. (a waste of money...why not just make your AM sound GREAT and keep it's physical plant and marketing in the forefront of your broadcast operation?) Broadcasters using HD for translators rarely even mention the HD "parent" of their new 'station' meaning they're not pushing for sales of HD radios either. Come to think of it I've NEVER heard a translated HD station mention the "HD" side of the parent.

If someone gave me the license today for AM HD and the equipment, I'd send it back to them. Now that I have a vehicle equipped with it, I find neither the range nor the programming variety promised by this format. I'm also grateful that most AM's who tried it have abandoned it. Not only is the AM band quieting down a bit as HD goes away, but it has helped fuel the FCC's look at AM revitalization which they wouldn't have needed to start...... IF HD on AM had been a consumer "hit." Instead, the failure of HD is slowly fueling the talk of the return of better quality AM (analog) broadcasting. Unfortunately, most receivers in autos and homes are moving toward the cheaper end of the spectrum, and offering NEITHER HD options nor REALLY GOOD AM. Yet.

On the FM side, HD range is still an issue, in my case, 30 miles in either direction to at LEAST some 50kw stations with HD and it switches back and forth...sometimes BADLY sometimes almost like both arrive and are played simultaneously with horrible echo effects. Be it the broadcaster or the in-dash unit, either way, not a good result to the consumer.

The proprietary nature of the HD license is moving lower and lower on the balance sheet priorities of terrestrial radio, unless the HD is necessary for
the above uses of feeding translators. It is NOT growing. Go to a common consumer store that sells "average" auto or home equipment. You won't find HD at the front of the shelves. Probably not ON the shelf at all. Remember, figures can lie.....and ...well, you know the rest.

Sometimes companies buy other companies for their own purposes, hire P.R. people to use big words, and the truth is not known for YEARS down the road as to why the sale occurred...but the seller laughs all the way to the bank. I'd bet my money on that scenario here.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Broadcasters using HD for translators rarely even mention the HD "parent" of their new 'station' meaning they're not pushing for sales of HD radios either. Come to think of it I've NEVER heard a translated HD station mention the "HD" side of the parent.

Jim I'm confused by what you mean
As you know here in Minneapolis I Fart errrr whatever they're calling themselves now uses the analog translators to broadcast a bunch of HD "subchannels" and when they ID they ID as the HD signal. So the one station I listen to (Alt 93.3) they ID as "Alt 93.3 is KQQL-HD2 Anoka/Minneapolis St Paul" which is their sister station 107.9-2". They never ID the translator ubt you mentioned how they use Morse code to do it.

Even the 50kw blowtorch that for some reason is also relayed on a FM subchannel they ID both
8-3-0 WCCO-HD Minneapolis/St Paul also on KMNB-HD2 Minneapolis.

What makes no sense is WCCO AM 830 is in "HD" and is 50kw all the time. They are a clear channel station.

I mean in the course of regular programming you don't hear the stations trying to get audiences to buy HD radios....yes, they legally ID if doing it properly, but only the "big" stations ever pushed HD, and those were the Clear Channel-owned ones when CC had stock in the company. I guess what I'm trying to say and doing badly is, the technology is not exciting enough for stations themselves to try to get more ears listening on the "real" HD if they have it only for translator use. I've never heard anything but the CC ads...never a station personality, program, liner, nothing....talking about HD.

Usually the "translated" stations are not mentioning how to receive them on the HD side of things.

Reactions: Mr Tony
you're right. Very rarely do I hear a commercial or ad for "HD" radio.

Usually the "translated" stations are not mentioning how to receive them on the HD side of things.
Here in Minneapolis they are. They only ID the "HD" version (the originating station)

I dont have an issue with a AM station getting a FM translator. What bothers me is these 50kw AM stations getting a FM translator via the HD signal. We have 3 AM stations that broadcast at 50kw. 2 of the 3 (WCCO & KSTP) are 50kw at night yet they both are on FM subchannels too (which makes no sense)
KTLK is the worst of the bunch. They are 50kw day 25kw night yet they are on
1130 AM
100.3 HD2 which feeds
103.5 translator.

I fart media actually put in the application (when they bought it from the religious group) that it (103.5) was for folks in downtown Minneapolis who cant get 1130 clearly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)