How far East can we reach from the US?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
MikeLib..I was able to get Atlantic Bird1 using a 39in dish w/0.2 lnb linear. The sig on 11622H was S84 Q66 using a Coolsat 4000 with a short cable. My angle here in Ft Lauderdale is 13 degress just above some trees facing east of me. I was checking my satellite arc when I bought this house two months ago. I can get roughly reception from 12.5W to 135W.
Attached is a pic of my sat arc for lowest angles facing east. There is a neat application for Iphones that allow you to choose sats in a list, then hold it up to your location and it can show you your sat arc/obstructions, etc. I used my wife's phone to take a pic of my Iphone showing my arc. 12.5W just above some palm trees.

NYC-Rich, Thanks for the info, thats a cool app, I read about it on dishpointer. The weather up here in NJ has turned cold and I have to go down to Barnegat bay because of the low elevation. So if I catch a warm day I'll try again.
Mike Lib

Last edited:
I use to live in a small town in North Jersey, and I had a lot of Portuguese neighbors. It was very interesting to see people who spoke the same language but come from such diverse cultures (European vs. South American).

My town was close to a large Portuguese section in Newark, NJ. If you are in a lay over at Newark Airport you can grab a taxi to Ferry Street, in Newark and you will feel like you are in Lisbon. Portuguese is the main language of all the merchants and is widely spoken on the streets; there are open-air vegetables stalls, fish markets, bakeries and restaurants galore, both Brazilian and European. A lot of the churches have mass in Portuguese. The neighborhood supports two major Portuguese language newspapers. Many of the Portuguese men are skilled craftsman that worked in the masonry and construction trades.

I wish you good luck on your hunt to get Portuguese language TV stations.
Mike Lb

Thanks Mike. Since I got Telstar 12 locked in we have been watching that TV Pampa channel quite a bit. At least now we can see the latest news and gossip going on in Brazil without having to drop upwards of $30/mo to get one channel (Rede Globo) from the pay services.

I'm still on the hunt to see what else I can find - now that I got a small taste of pulling in a far off sat signal I'm hooked on seeing what else I can find. :)

Yes, we've heard that there is quite a large population of Brazilians in New Jersey. I never knew there was a large Portuguese population there too. One of these days we need to get out there and check it out.

K'bick
I am sure you know about this one is not from Brazil but Portugal at least the language is the same.
12034 H 3003 Channel Name Video Pid Audio Pids PCR Provider Encryption Last Updated
tv.jpg
1 RTP International 33 34
35 8190 RRSat Global N
9/02/2009That was from the List
The colors are messy so I get it on
AMC4 101W 12.033 H 3.003 Rtpi .
Again maybe you have no interest in this one.

Thanks, yes, we saw this channel a few times but (strange as it may sound) we have a difficult time with European Portuguese. Theres enough of a difference in vocabulary that we can't pick out whats being said most of the time. Ironically, we understand Spanish better than European Portuguese. :)

There are a lot of them on NSS806 at 40.5 in Portuguese that is not scrambled. I currently have a 6 ft Fortec with a DMX741U w/insert for circular sigs. I can get almost 98% of the channels listed that is not scrambled on that sat.
Most of them are mainly religious, but there is others like TV Brazil, , Mi-GENTE (3689v), Canal Executivo (3671H), LBV (3690H), BOAS NOVAS (3972H), TV Brazil Integracion, and several radio stations.
Here in Ft lauderdale, Florida, I can easily get down to 12.5W Atlantic Bird 1 ( Record International Europa 11622H). However I can get that on NSS806 with more channels.

The only two Ku frequencies on this sat have a Brazilian coastline footprint. :( I think my next project will be to put together a fixed-position C band system just big enough to get this sat (and small enough that the "dish police" here can't see it from the street.

(strange as it may sound) we have a difficult time with European Portuguese. Theres enough of a difference in vocabulary that we can't pick out whats being said most of the time. Ironically, we understand Spanish better than European Portuguese. :)

Yes it is really strange how many dialects there are in the same language.
US, UK and OZ English are not so different but English in India, Pakistan, Africa and Caribbean can be almost unrecgnisable when spoken. Spanish and US Spanish seem to be very much the same but Portuguese and S American Portuguese are a nightmare.
I speak a number of languages but I still have trouble with Greek and Cypriot Greek and they are only 250 miles apart. Portuguese has therefore got no hope. :D

Yes it is really strange how many dialects there are in the same language.
US, UK and OZ English are not so different but English in India, Pakistan, Africa and Caribbean can be almost unrecgnisable when spoken. Spanish and US Spanish seem to be very much the same but Portuguese and S American Portuguese are a nightmare.
I speak a number of languages but I still have trouble with Greek and Cypriot Greek and they are only 250 miles apart. Portuguese has therefore got no hope. :D

I hear ya! Even within Brazil there are a *lot* of variations on Brazilian Portuguese depending on where you are. It made learning the language a real challenge.

Amazonas FTA Channels.

I hear ya! Even within Brazil there are a *lot* of variations on Brazilian Portuguese depending on where you are. It made learning the language a real challenge.

If you have a set up for C band give it a try to Amazonas, I am able to watch 4 or 5 brazilian channels on that bird ( all FTA )..... 43w is also a good bird for spanish channels ( everybody already knows 30w is good too ).... plenty of comedy and old movies.
Only one time I was able to lock in a channel at 12w from my location ( Michigan ), the conditions were perfect, no wind and clear sky, now with the winter upon us am sure will be more dificult to lock it in....I am talking 24 / 7....not just a one time thing.
Good luck.

:( I think my next project will be to put together a fixed-position C band system just big enough to get this sat .

On NSS806 40.5W sat , there is a minimum of 18 brazilian channels. I have a 6 ft dish that I bought as a bundle package at a good price with shipping. Here is an updated list since Lyngast is showing incomplete/old listings for that sat current as of December 9th 2009

3644 L 2532 TV Nazare de Comunicacao
3646 R 3978 TV Genesis
Genesis Executive (Brazilian music)
3653 R 5925 SBT- Brazil (news, movies, sitcoms, music). Excellent
3803 R 26865 Rede Gospel
3972 L 3303 RBN SAT1
RBN SAT2 Portugal
3977 L 3978 TV Brazil (movies, documenary, music)
3986 L 3179 Rede International (music)
4056 R 4440 Hipodromo Manoras
"Occasional NTSC" banner
4081 R 6511 Bloomberg Brazil (stocks, celebrity interviews, movie clips).
Bloomber Brazil/latin America
4125 L 3000 Net TV Brazil (Scrolling Brazilian TV guide, with news, weather
current events in Brazilian cities, time)
4137 L 4400 Record Brazil
4151 R 3280 Rede Gospel Brazil
3663 R 2170 Rede Uniao Fortaleze
3671 L 2960 Canal Executivo do Brazil
3675 L 5900 Nuevo Tempo Portugal
Nuevo Tempo 2.
The above is FTA. There are more Brazilian channels on this sat(MTV Brazil, Disney Brazil, adult channels, Soccer , ESPN Brazil, etc but are scrambled (paid service) that sometimes open up for several weeks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts