How good / bad is Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where did he say something what was misinformation, he said it requires the OTA tuner (OK he could have said it requires the AM21, same thing).

When he said it performed better.

The HR21 WILL SUPPORT LOCALS, if you add the AM21. As for the sluggish performance, the jury is out IMHO if it's the AM21 or just a HR21 problem since I've removed my AM21 and at times the HR21 continues to have sluggish performance.

You just helped me answer your previous question. :D

However, hearing how bad D*s DVRs are can save them alot of greif.

I actually prefer my HR-21 to the 622 i had with dish - the software does much more for me than the 622 ever did.

If you need PIP - 2nd room output - the ability to record three things at once - go with the 622 - if you prefer media player - better VOD, better (IMHO) guide/recording navigation .. then go with the HR-21 ..

both have +'s and -'vs .. only the person paying the $$'s can make the call on what is important to them.

For my money - i prefer the HR-21.

Just as you wish people would stop complaining about how bad D* is, I wish people would stop whitewashing D*s problems. Potential customers dont really care to hear about how good D* is. However, hearing how bad D*s DVRs are can save them alot of greif.

I personally have not experienced any of them. I personally had more problems with Dish and their equipment then I have had with the Directv equipment. I guess if it was up to you everybody that has anything good to say would just keep to themselves.

Obviously you've never read the countless complaints about the HR series DVRs. And not just here...all over the internet! The original poster is looking for acurate information...give it to him.
I am assuming you are being sarcastic?

Most of those complaints are old or by people whom have switched and have yet to adjust to the interface. I have had mine for over a year (HR20's), as have my parents (HR20 and HR21), and as have my sister (HR20), neither one of us have had a single issue with it at all.

When I first got my DVR I prefered my TiVO over the HR20, but one I got used to using the HR20, I much prefer the HR20 by a large margin.

What exactly does "not nearly as bad mean? Are you implying that the amount of people claiming to have problems with the HR series is overstated? Or that these people are mistaken? Or that these people are just plain trying to mislead potential D* customers by turning them away?

Maybe you can tell me exactly how these people would know this?

Just as you wish people would stop complaining about how bad D* is, I wish people would stop whitewashing D*s problems. Potential customers dont really care to hear about how good D* is. However, hearing how bad D*s DVRs are can save them alot of greif.
I wish people whom do not own Direct equipment would stop misinforming people on this board about their performance when they themselves know absolutely nothing about it.

Hearing how bad Direct's DVRs are will lead them to a biased view without actually experiencing it for themselves (that is the very definition of ignorance). Unless you have used it yourself, understand how it has improved over the last year, and understand that most of the complaints are from a year ago or those that have a difficult time adjusting to the different interface, I would take your opinion with a grain of salt.

I just switched from Dish. I'll give Dish the edge on the hardware, the 622/722 has a faster interface.

In terms of PQ, I don't think it is even close. D* wins hands down. E* keeps compressing more and more in order to get as much HD online as possible. I'm with Elwaylite, if you can't tell that D*'s PQ is significantly better than E* then you need to get your eyes checked. :)

Someone call Guiness, we have the only guy on earth who thinks Dish HD PQ is better than D*. BTW, your post really sounds like BS when you tout vision numbers.

Wow, no need to be a jerk. I know several people that would agree with him, including a couple close buddies.

Video and audio quality are HIGHLY subjective. Just like anything else dealing with audio or video, you can't say one is better than the other for everyone. There are too many different people out there. It's certainly valid to say YOU think the D* PQ is better, but to say definitively that one is better than the other is quite short-sighted. And honestly, it makes you look like a huge fanboy with blinders on.

It's not like the difference between E* and D* is as huge as VHS vs DVD or even DVD vs Blu-Ray. We are talking about a very small difference between E and D. Hell I know people that just can't see the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray unless they see a side-by side comparison. While it baffles me as I can see a large difference, I know it's purely subjective.

Last edited:
I just switched from Dish. I'll give Dish the edge on the hardware, the 622/722 has a faster interface.

In terms of PQ, I don't think it is even close. D* wins hands down. E* keeps compressing more and more in order to get as much HD online as possible. I'm with Elwaylite, if you can't tell that D*'s PQ is significantly better than E* then you need to get your eyes checked. :)

I completely agree with you! I just came from E* 3 weeks ago and immediately noticed a huge difference in HD PQ. Hands down D* wins. In fact, 3 years ago I switched from Comcast to E* and thought at the time Comcast had a better picture than E* but figured it was my imagination. I also agree that the 622 I had responded more quickly to commands but in overall performance I actually prefer the HR-21. My wife who is not as technologically minded has also stated a few times since we had D* installed that the HR-21 is easier to use and the picture quality is better with D.

directv a poor choice

going with directv would be a big mistake,there is no doubt that dish networks model 722 hd dvr receiver is far better than any thing directv has to offer.and as a general rule there customer serice is awful.dish networks customer service is not perfect,but way above directv's.as for going out in storms its all based on the size of your dish,a dish 1000 will last longer than a dish 500 simply because a 1000 dish is larger so when compared to directv they are about the same.

I have to vote for DirecTV. Been with them since 1999 when the cable in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia was maybe one of the worst systems in the nation. Four years there and now five more years in Texas and I have no intention of leaving DirecTV. I've seen my neighbors PQ over cable and they've seen mine. All agree I have the best picture and programming choices. I won't say I haven't lost signal due to storms in both Virginia and Texas but it isn't often and it isn't for a long time when it does happen. My old cable system.....I think the record was four days with numerous "shorter" outages of a number of hours.

going with directv would be a big mistake,there is no doubt that dish networks model 722 hd dvr receiver is far better than any thing directv has to offer.and as a general rule there customer serice is awful.dish networks customer service is not perfect,but way above directv's.as for going out in storms its all based on the size of your dish,a dish 1000 will last longer than a dish 500 simply because a 1000 dish is larger so when compared to directv they are about the same.
Please.

Direct customer service is far better, even though it is not perfect by any means.

I have both and the 622 is better than my hr21 but not in a huge way. i've been with E for almost 10 years and the customer service used to be good a long time ago but now it's awful. the customer service for D blows away E anytime. Do you have both to be giving your opinions on D?:)

Last edited:
I completely agree with you! I just came from E* 3 weeks ago and immediately noticed a huge difference in HD PQ. Hands down D* wins. In fact, 3 years ago I switched from Comcast to E* and thought at the time Comcast had a better picture than E* but figured it was my imagination. I also agree that the 622 I had responded more quickly to commands but in overall performance I actually prefer the HR-21. My wife who is not as technologically minded has also stated a few times since we had D* installed that the HR-21 is easier to use and the picture quality is better with D.

same opinions here. and the HR-21 will continue to improve.

My experience with Dish's customer service is much worse than with D*'s so far.

1. About a year back I had some issues with my 625 DVR with Dish. I talked to 3 different level 1 techs who told me both tuners were working, when I told them it wasn't and even went as far as to read off the fact that the 129 satellite was not coming through on tuner 2. The last one was no help so I asked to move to higher support. She said she couldn't do that because she had solved my issue. She hadn't. I then asked for a supervisor, was told she couldn't do that. Finally I said "I want to cancel then." She sent me directly to retention, I told them my problem and was immediately sent to level 3 tech support.

2. When I originally ordered I wanted 1 622 and 1 625 DVR. The guy showed up to install and brough 1 622 and 1 standard definition receiver. I told him that wasn't correct, he said take it up with customer service as I have nobody I can call to verify the order. He installed the 622 and the SD receiver in the location where I wanted the TV 2 output for the 622, never running the cable to my living room for the 625. I called support, they said they would come out with the 625 the following week (another day off work). The guy shows up, sees the cable wasn't run, and was, understandably, a little pissed off (he was only doing a swap out, not running cable). Dish wanted to charge me to run the cable, I said no way. You guys didn't install what I ordered. They finally waived the fee and came out after I threatened to cancel.

Now lets fast forward on to DirecTV.

1. I didn't get my AM21's I was promised with my install (they never come with installers, the person who sold me screwed up). I called D*, told them the issue, they immediately overnighted 2 new AM21s for free ($100 value). They apologized.

2. I realized I wasn't getting superfan for free, something I expected when I signed up. Once again, called up customer service, told them my issue, the girl put me on hold for 30 seconds then came back and said I now had superfan for free.

Thus far D* has been very courtious, professional, and solved all of my issues.

IMO, after going from Time Warner to Dish to DirecTV, there is no comparison. DirecTV has won hands down.

I have no real complaints with DirecTV after beeing with them about a year and a half this time. My older HR20 had many lockups when I first got it, but it's been pretty much perfect for a year. The other HR20 has never had an issue, and my SD DVRs and HD receiver are rock-solid as well.

CSRs have made a few mistakes with my account but they have always been straightened out.

I have gotten all the satellite equipment in my signature for less than $250. DirecTV has been good to me. I don't care if everyone will agree with me or no one will, this has been my experience.

I too have had a great experience thus far with D*.
Both of my HR-20s have been more or less flawless since I have had them, and I have zero complaints with the PQ of the HD channels.

ANY piece of mass produced hardware will unavoidably have some lemons. The ViP series from E* is no exception. Thats just how it is. That doesnt mean that ALL of them are bad.
Yes, the HR series had some serious bugs that had to be worked out when it was released, nearly all of those have been fixed.

When it comes to comparing the quality of customer service, the question is not which is better, but which is worse.

When I switched back to D* 3 months ago, I had to return a couple of receivers to E*. It took me 11 calls over a 3 week period just to get E* to send me the mailing labels. Most of the time the E* representatives didn't know what they were doing or talking about. One said it would take a week to process the request, another said it would take at least 24 hours for the computer to generate the labels. And on and on it went. In fact, the labels could be sent via email instantaneously if one is well trained.

When a company cannot even get it together to get its own equipment back, I'd say the goose is cooked.

Went to possibly change to Direct TV today and was surprised by the D* equipment. They had the HR21 and I thought it was very slow and the channels were, in my opinion, not as sharp as E*s. I guess I was a little shocked as I have been hearing people rave about D*s HD quality. The dealer (very large) had a large plasma on the wall and 6 or 7 others on smaller wall units. Also thought the remote was cheap and some buttons already needed a hard push to work. I was disappointed as I wanted to sign up for the free HD-DVR with the NFL special. But I find the receiver not even in the same league as my 622 and am a little afraid to make the jump. I guess I am rather unhappy as I was ready to make the jump.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)