How good / bad is Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Better PQ. I've seen you complain at times about E*'s PQ.

Quality PQ is more important to me than Quantity of channels. I have a lack of faith in Dish, which is why they have lost my business for good.

Interesting. I've had both services, and E*'s HD PQ is better than D*'s, although not by much. I give D* the big edge in sports packages and reception. Eastern Arc should solve one of those problems. If you like movies in HD, however, E* just blows away D* in quality, quantity, and price.

Movies in HD right now, Dish is the hands down winner now.

Basic HD channels, they are pretty much even

Sports in HD, Direct blows Dish away and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

HD PQ, from what I read from you and many others, Direct has the slight edge here.

Total HD channels using the same counting criteria for both providers, Direct has a slight lead.

HD package offerings and prices, Dish beats Direct hands down.

So depending on ones needs, Direct or Dish can be the HD leader.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've had both services, and E*'s HD PQ is better than D*'s, although not by much. I give D* the big edge in sports packages and reception. Eastern Arc should solve one of those problems. If you like movies in HD, however, E* just blows away D* in quality, quantity, and price.

E*'s hd PQ is "better". Oh come on man. There is so much BS floating around here right now.

Better PQ. I've seen you complain at times about E*'s PQ.

Your right I've complained, and Its gotton much better. D* has more HD RSN then anyone ,but they don't do a thing for me , since I don't subscribe to any sports packs. I prefer the number of premiums in HD that I have with E* that D* doesn't even have in SD. I like having 3 rooms of DVR's 2 HD 1 SD, for Less then $127 per month with everything pack with E* . Not like the $136 per month for 1 HD DVR 1 SD DVR and 1 SD receiver. With less premiums. Not the over all HD choice I prefer.

This is what I dont get, and think people are influenced by announcements like the 150 channels and new channel adds.

E* went from 6 channels per tp to 7, and people think the PQ got better. I just dont agree.

But, its not worth getting panties wadded, to each their own.

Directv Very Good

I have essentially had dirctv since 1996. I love it. I changed for a period of about 6 weeks when I bought my Sony HD 3 almost 4 years ago. The change was due to bad advice from a sales rep at Best Buy. I should have known better since they don't usually even know their own products let alone someone elses.

That being said. I absolutely hated the comcast. The channel configurations were horrable and the picture clarricty wasn't any better. I switched back to directv very and have never entertained the idea of switching back to cable. I have had minimal problems with directv ever. I have also been able to talk the CSRs into some pretty good deals at times. I have tried over the years to get my brother to switch from E* to D* as well. I have yet to succeed. I will keep trying.

I am a firefighter and we have comcast cable at the firestation. I wouldn't recommend it for my dog.

Good luck with your decision.

E*'s hd PQ is "better". Oh come on man. There is so much BS floating around here right now.

It's not $230 ETF better, but when my contract with D* is up, I will return to E* as long as Eastern Arc solves my reception problems. And yes, E*s HD PQ was better than D*'s, but like I said, not by much. Also, I do have 20/12 vision. :) The biggest reason for my disdain for D* has nothing to do with HD PQ however, it's that I pay them so much more for so much less.

It's not $230 ETF better, but when my contract with D* is up, I will return to E* as long as Eastern Arc solves my reception problems. And yes, E*s HD PQ was better than D*'s, but like I said, not by much. Also, I do have 20/12 vision. :) The biggest reason for my disdain for D* has nothing to do with HD PQ however, it's that I pay them so much more for so much less.
I feel the same way.

Someone call Guiness, we have the only guy on earth who thinks Dish HD PQ is better than D*. BTW, your post really sounds like BS when you tout vision numbers.

Why don't we all wait till the end of the month to see what is what? neither D or E should tout their horns right now seeing that they may be big changes for both over the next month or so. On what has to do with pic , yes to me D has the better pic HD and SD than E. i have both so that's how i see it.

I'm in the middle of a move right now and am staying with my inlaws who have Time Warner. I am dieing to get into my new house and get my D* service installed. TW is so bad that even my wife - who normally could care less - is eager to get D* back!

I've been with them over 5 years without one single complaint.

Someone call Guiness, we have the only guy on earth who thinks Dish HD PQ is better than D*. BTW, your post really sounds like BS when you tout vision numbers.

I've let you act like a complete jerk for a couple of posts and taken the high road, but 3 strikes and you're out. Those with an IQ above 5 know for what the smilies are used. I was being sarcastic. So, for the last time, please have the same respect for others opinions that we have had for yours. Having an open mind is probably a good start.

I agree. I have D* only because of MLBEI and nothing else. I suspend my D* account when baseball season ends and turn it back on in April, no other reason to use it. I have been with Dish for 12 years and there is no compelling reason for me to switch. Yes, I have had my problems with Dish over the years but hasn't alot of D* subs had the same problems? Mywife, who at one time could care less about HD, can see the difference now. Besides, she absolutely HATES the D* reciever and just LOVES the Dish 622 & 722 I have. I still think it has alot to do with what you watching your programs on. My plasma does a very good job and I know some would say an LCD would be better and I am sure they are right to a point. I am extremely pleased with most of the HD channels I get. I do agree also with dodgerking on his observations.

Obviously you've never read the countless complaints about the HR series DVRs. And not just here...all over the internet! The original poster is looking for acurate information...give it to him.

There are also just as many that state it is not nearly as bad as everybody was saying. How many posts are out there about people switching but they were afraid of the DVR. After they switch they come back and say that it is a pretty good DVR.

Personally I have had zero problems with both of my HR20 DVR's. I think it is just as good as my 622 I had when I was with Dish. There are pro's and con's of everything. It all comes down to what is important to you.

HR20 has it built in, youll most likely get the HR21 which requires the OTA tuner. From what Ive seen it works well, and yes the channels appear int he guide.

Once again elway, you're giving misinformation. The HR21 is no better than the HR20. It WILL NOT support locals! Thats why Directv requires you to purchase an additional unit...the AM21. The AM21 is well know for its sluggish performance.

Once again elway, you're giving misinformation. The HR21 is no better than the HR20. It WILL NOT support locals! Thats why Directv requires you to purchase an additional unit...the AM21. The AM21 is well know for its sluggish performance.

Where did he say something what was misinformation, he said it requires the OTA tuner (OK he could have said it requires the AM21, same thing).

The HR21 WILL SUPPORT LOCALS, if you add the AM21. As for the sluggish performance, the jury is out IMHO if it's the AM21 or just a HR21 problem since I've removed my AM21 and at times the HR21 continues to have sluggish performance.

There are also just as many that state it is not nearly as bad as everybody was saying.

What exactly does "not nearly as bad mean? Are you implying that the amount of people claiming to have problems with the HR series is overstated? Or that these people are mistaken? Or that these people are just plain trying to mislead potential D* customers by turning them away?

"There are also just as many that state it is not nearly as bad as everybody was saying."

Maybe you can tell me exactly how these people would know this?

Just as you wish people would stop complaining about how bad D* is, I wish people would stop whitewashing D*s problems. Potential customers dont really care to hear about how good D* is. However, hearing how bad D*s DVRs are can save them alot of greif.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)