How good / bad is Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Went to possibly change to Direct TV today and was surprised by the D* equipment. They had the HR21 and I thought it was very slow and the channels were, in my opinion, not as sharp as E*s. I guess I was a little shocked as I have been hearing people rave about D*s HD quality. The dealer (very large) had a large plasma on the wall and 6 or 7 others on smaller wall units. Also thought the remote was cheap and some buttons already needed a hard push to work. I was disappointed as I wanted to sign up for the free HD-DVR with the NFL special. But I find the receiver not even in the same league as my 622 and am a little afraid to make the jump. I guess I am rather unhappy as I was ready to make the jump.
Don't let the sales demos be the determining factor.

First, the picture settings on the TV were probably no where near optimum. I can guarantee that Direct on your TV would look a lot better too you.

Second, I have used the same remote for over a year and have yet to have a problem. I am sure, like all floor models, the thing probably took a beating from everyone over using it and pushing the buttons harder than needed. Plus, once you get used to the color button short cuts you would appreciate the remotes functions more.

Third, I would guess that particular box being used was probably slower than other boxes. Updates, improver use, testers doing things they aren't supposed to, ex, probably leads the box to perform slower than others. It is true that the average HR21 receiver is probably a little slower than Dish's receivers however.

I just switched from E* to D*. I can't tell ANY difference AT ALL in HD pic quality between the two! None! The only difference is E* hd channels constantly dropped out, even during ideal conditions and three tech visits and a beautifully clear line of sight. So who ever said earlier that D* is about twice as stable as E*, Umm I can vouch for that!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)