How good will Roku be when i get rid of cable?

If there are certain network programs that you must watch then you aren't going to get many of them with a Roku unless you pay extra for them with season passes. But if you are getting a Roku with the intent to cut the cord and save money then by the time you pay for several season passes you won't have saved so much after all. You might as well keep on paying for cable or satellite. But if you are content with free OTA stations then a Roku or other streaming box is a good addition. There is enough content available on Roku especially if you have a Netflix or Amazon account that you will never have enough time in a million years to watch all of it. There is plenty of programming but you have to get used to watching your programming on demand rather than just turning the TV on to watch whatever happens to be on at that time.

You also need to make sure that you have a reliable broadband connection and a reliable wireless router (although the Roku 3 does have an ethernet port.)

Another good use of Rokus or other streaming boxes is as a complement to a cable or satellite subscription rather than a replacement. That's what I use mine for. I have DirectTV in my family room and a Roku in my bedroom. Since I have a Directv subscription there is some programming that I am eligible to get on my Roku that I couldn't get otherwise such as HBOGo. And since I'm not paying $6 monthly extra for another Directv outlet in my bedroom that savings will pay for the Roku box after a few months.

Last edited:
I quit Dish last year, and Roku has been a very good replacement. I like mostly sports (soccer), movies, some series, and that's it. Most of the time is sports.
I have PlayOn (which I paid $20 for the whole year, and just for Hulu I think is more than worth, not Hulu Plus, but Hulu without subscription works there.)
I also subscribe for Netflix and Dish World Sports. $7.99 and $10, so I pay $18 per month and can watch basically everything I watched. DishWorld is great, I think TV will be like that in the future, streaming with a whole week in rewind. I can watch live and on demand soccer games, and the movies and series I want on Netflix. Plus I have the NBA, NHL and MLS apps that I don't pay, so can't watch live or complete games, but can watch games highlights, top 10, etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)