How is it determined to use the Western Arc, or Eastern Arc?

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Currently here in southeast Nebraska, I'm on the Western Arc (110, 119, 129 satellites.) Since I'm in the middle of the country, what's stopping me from being on the Eastern Arc, and what would my signal levels be like if that was true? Here's averages for my signal levels on the Western Arc satellites. How is it determined which set of satellites you are on?

110- 75-80
119- 70-85
129- 59-65

It's determined by what satellite(s) we broadcast your locals on. Lincoln HD locals come off both 129 and 61.5, but the SD versions are only on 110 (13 and 12 in SD are on 61.5, but not the rest). So if you were to move over to Eastern Arc, you would not gain any benefits, but would also lose SD locals. For zip code 68501 the average signal is roughly:

61.5- 42-55
72.7- 43-48
77- 36-41

Those average signals are on varying transponders.

Currently here in southeast Nebraska, I'm on the Western Arc (110, 119, 129 satellites.) Since I'm in the middle of the country, what's stopping me from being on the Eastern Arc, and what would my signal levels be like if that was true? Here's averages for my signal levels on the Western Arc satellites. How is it determined which set of satellites you are on?

110- 75-80
119- 70-85
129- 59-65

Locals on the EA or not. You can't compare signal levels on WA w/ EA. It's not a straight comparison. Lincoln,NE is on 61.5 so it is possible. In this case you will only need to have the dish peaked for 61.5 & 72.7.

Since it looks like the signal levels are significantly lower on the EA then the WA, and it sounds to me it makes more sense to use the WA, why those two local channels (12, and 13) on the 61.5 satellite? Is this because of the cities included in the Lincoln market like Hastings?

The EA arc was originally created using leftover E* satellites and satellites leased and purchased by others. Only the 61.5W slot had spot beam capabilities. The purchased sat was reoriented to best cover market areas. These covered market areas were thus designated as EA and locals provided to them on the spot beams. Everyone else was considered WA. The EA spot beams covered markets from the east coast to the midwest (Kansas). E* is in the process of filling in EA markets as it designs new satellites for that arc. Some markets have switched arcs. Some markets have their local programming on both arcs.

Looks like KHGI is also in the North Platte, NE DMA, which may have something to do with it (not sure about KUON). Other than that, Laddyboy has a pretty good answer for you.

sjvirchow said:
Since it looks like the signal levels are significantly lower on the EA then the WA, and it sounds to me it makes more sense to use the WA, why those two local channels (12, and 13) on the 61.5 satellite? Is this because of the cities included in the Lincoln market like Hastings?

If in a given area you have locals with both hd and sd feeds you get both on wa but only hd on ea, but of course not all locals have an hd feed so those are given in sd on both wa and ea. so it seems like 12 and 13 are your sd only locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts