How long has your dlp tv lamp lasted?

ozzy1028

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2007
For those of you that have a dlp tv, how long has your lamp lasted without changing? We tend to leave ours on most days 10 hours or more.

I'm almost afraid to type this....but I have approx 12,000 hours on one of my lamps. Its the original Samsung lamp that came with the TV.

For those of you that have a dlp tv, how long has your lamp lasted without changing? We tend to leave ours on most days 10 hours or more.
On my Mitsubishi 65" it lasted just under one year. Got a warranty replacement by three weeks. My son bought the 57" version and his died in less than one year also. We both have extended warranties but only get one more replacement on those, so they better last at least 18 months.:mad:

I'm almost afraid to type this....but I have approx 12,000 hours on one of my lamps. Its the original Samsung lamp that came with the TV.

Wow, 12,000? And they are considered to last at about 3,000 hrs? Thats what id call a long lamp life. What model number is your sammy?

On my Mitsubishi 65" it lasted just under one year. Got a warranty replacement by three weeks. My son bought the 57" version and his died in less than one year also. We both have extended warranties but only get one more replacement on those, so they better last at least 18 months.:mad:

+1 here. Same deal. We have ours on an average of around 6-8 hours a day.

I replaced mine (Also a Samsung - HLN-50W1) just short of 12,000 hrs. It was still usable but it had gotten noticeably dimmer. Put a new lamp in it and it's just like new again.

NightRyder

Re placed it at or about 5000 hr. I have 2 changes with my extended warranty Si I used one after a year. Kept the old one as a back up.

I run roughly 7 hours a day 5 days a week and 14 or so 2 days week (appox 60+ hours a week) and I've had my TV for little over 2 years now (approx 6240 hours?)

The person I spoke with (was going to get a backup bulb) said if I don't see the yellow light it isn't even half dead yet.. (and I don't have a yellow light!)

i recommend changing the bulb at about 70% of life expectancy. At this point the bulb has lost about 30% of light output. It would also be a good idea to clean the light path at this point.

i recommend changing the bulb at about 70% of life expectancy. At this point the bulb has lost about 30% of light output. It would also be a good idea to clean the light path at this point.

Greg, what do you use for cleaning the light path?

TIA

NightRyder

Over 4200 hours. For the last year I have turned the brightness from high to low. The manual says that will extend the life of the bulb with little change in experience.

I am on my third bulb both bulbs had under 1500 hrs the tv is not even 2 yrs old yet.1 bulb under fact warranty the other under extended warranty only aloud 1 bulb under extended warranty.Comes to find out on lamp cartridge there is a little mesh screen that gets dust built up and overheats the lamp.I noticed on my prior bulbs a couple months b4 they would go out the tv will ocasionally flicker.so once every few weeks i have to pull the cartridge out and vacuum the mesh screen.

I just ordered a new bulb for my television, and the new bulb did not have a mesh screen at all. My old one did. I do not know if it has been removed because of the possiblity of dust blocking the mesh and making the bulb prematurely fail, or if its just some offbrand bulb not built to spec. Its for a Sony 60" Grand Wega. I don't have the model number available right now.

Well my lamps went out again for the second time in less than 2 years on my Mitsu.
The first round was 10 months in and were replaced under warranty.
This time it's on me.

The wife found, through the CNET site, where many people have complained about this and there seems to be a class action suit against Mitsu in Califronia.
I'm looking into this to see if it's going to be worth joing in.

In my opinion, paying $2000 + for a tv to have the lamps go out every 8 months is unacceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)