How Long Have You Had Your BUD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

How Long Have You Had Your BUD?

• 25-30 Years

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • 20-25 Years

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • 15-20 Years

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • 10-15 Years

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 5-10 Years

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • 1-5 Years

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • Under a Year

Votes: 25 16.2%
  • Don't have a C-Band Dish

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I voted 1-5 years because I got my first FTA BUD almost 3 years ago.

I did own a 12 foot Challenger fiberglass dish in 1983 for about 2 years, but then got out, and didn't get back in until I got the 10 footer 3 years ago. :)

I ordered Wrestlemania I ppv on my standalone VCII (then had to go to work... my Brother and some friends watched)that was 25 years ago and I had my 10' fiberglass at least a couple of years before that (been layed over with a broken mount for the last year) ... I have had my 8' mesh for at least 10 years...

My parents got the 10 foot Perfect 10 that I'm using at the moment in 1992. When they built a new house they deeded this property over to my brother and me. The BUD came with the property.

Got mine in 1994. Back then, my wife and i couldn't afford basic cable with the premium movie channels. So after the initial $700 outlay for my equipment from a sat dealer that closed up shop and was offering blow out prices, i've been watching the bud since and at that time all we ordered were HBO, MAX and maybe the weather channel for around 10 bucks a month. Too bad i had to get DISH too in 03 to make up for the BUD's ever increasing shortcomings.:(

either 1980 or 1981, been so long can't really remember the year to the T. but my 1st receiver was a Drake ESR324 70mhz receiver.

an the only time I have not had satellite is when it was down due to lighting.

My 10 footer has been here since '96. Before it (from '91) I had a 12ft that my in-laws have now (and soon getting it back up on FTA!) My 7.5 was given to me by my brother, since he moved to my mom's property he wasn't going to move it, so I did!:)

My 7.5 ft Unimesh was sitting out at our hunting cabin since 91 and had not been used since 2000 when I brought over to my house. Now it has been down since the ice storm last year. Took it down to fix a small hole and was going to paint and really clean it up when the ice came. Now I will be moving into a new house in a month and have a perfect spot set aside for it. Really missed it during football this past season.

Here you guys and girls ... straight from the home office in Cedar Rapids, Iowa ... the top 10 signs that you've been in this hobby waaaaay too long.

#10 You call your dish a parabolic reflector.
#9 Your Videocipher II was made by MA/COM.
#8 You used to tune in to Dr. Gene Scott (oh, you still do?)
#7 High Definition meant buying a gold plated Monster Cable.
#6 Your HBO was interrupted one evening when Captain Midnight struck.
#5 You thought that Ku-band thing would never catch on.
#4 You remember testing out parental block on Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.
#3 You recall when MTV played music.
#2 You keep referring to AMC 11 as Satcom 3.

And finally, the number one sign that you've been in the hobby waaaay too long.

#1 You're patiently waiting for the return of American XXXtasy.

:D

#9 Your Videocipher II was made by MA/COM.
Yup

#8 You used to tune in to Dr. Gene Scott
Did that!

#6 Your HBO was interrupted one evening when Captain Midnight struck.
Remember that also

#5 You thought that Ku-band thing would never catch on.
Really didn't

#3 You recall when MTV played music.
You got that straight. ;)

#2 You keep referring to AMC 11 as Satcom 3.

Westar and Satcom sats ruled... :)

I do not have C-band dish setup. But my wife calls my 1.2 meter dish and the 1.8 meter ( that is on the ground right now ) ugly. my kids call it daddy's boat.
Does that count? I have had both for alittle over a year.

Almost 5 years now.

... my wife calls my 1.2 meter dish and the 1.8 meter... ugly.
my kids call it daddy's boat.
Tell the kids what my buddy used to tell his when they gave him grief:
"You aren't our original kids. You are the replacements. Think about it!" - :D

Then turn to your wife and . . . - :eek:

As for BUDs, I got my first two just last month! (see sig)
This way, if I don't like one of my dishes, I've always got a backup. :rolleyes:
You know how it is when the disease gets ya.

Last edited:
1981...I was working on them way before I was able to have one. The first receiver was a Dexcel with a Prodelin 3 meter dish moved with a hand crank. I used fingernail polish to mark the positions.

my first BUD i got in 1991 it is a 10 ft odom mesh and had a GI 2410 mover
still have both :) original price tag was $1900 but i splurged and got the anywhere remote and it added another $100 to the price.

1981...I was working on them way before I was able to have one. The first receiver was a Dexcel with a Prodelin 3 meter dish moved with a hand crank. I used fingernail polish to mark the positions.
Pencil and eventually scribed... ;) like a dummy I left my hand crank out when I got a actuator and it froze up....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)