How many cables...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newtothisstuff

Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Hey, I need some help. I'm looking to run some cable for an upgrade to Directv HD, and I need to know how many cables I need to run from the dish outside into my switch box. Also, if you can confirm that RG6 cable is the correct type. I appreciate any info, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff...

Hey, I need some help. I'm looking to run some cable for an upgrade to Directv HD, and I need to know how many cables I need to run from the dish outside into my switch box. Also, if you can confirm that RG6 cable is the correct type. I appreciate any info, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff...

Hi.. there are tons of posts on this subject but the quick answer is four RG-6 cables from your Slimline to the switch. In my case it's a 6X8 switch which allows me to have six outputs. Each HD DVR needs two lines and every other receiver needs one, dedicated, line. HTH:cool:

Hi.. there are tons of posts on this subject but the quick answer is four RG-6 cables from your Slimline to the switch. In my case it's a 6X8 switch which allows me to have six outputs. Each HD DVR needs two lines and every other receiver needs one, dedicated, line. HTH:cool:
To correct your statement 6x8 means 6 inputs giving 8 outputs, you may have 6 outputs but the switch is capable of 8.:)

Thanks for the help! Is there a specific brand or model of switch that I should look at? I think 8 outputs will suffice but I may need up to 11...

Thanks for the help! Is there a specific brand or model of switch that I should look at? I think 8 outputs will suffice but I may need up to 11...
If you do things the easy way, you'll not have to buy anything. DIRECTV will provide the dish, switchgear and installation for free. Getting 11 tuners will likely require a significant investment.

Of course this presumes that you are a resident of the United States, the system will be set up and operated in the U.S. and you have sufficient credit to get an account.

They told us they wouldn't do it for free (probably because we're existing customers upgrading, not new customers...)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)