How many computers do you have in your house?

I have 2-4 computers. 2-3 are laptops and one is a desktop that is out for repair at a buddy's house. I have computers in and out of here from time to time but plan to have more once I launch the high speed internet service in my area. Perhaps I will run a server and some software for the business on them.

I was not counting my nonworking computers that I am in the process of repairing. I could add several more if I counted those.

(1) macbook for my wife, (1) powerbook g4 for me, (1) HP Pentium IV 2.6 GHz w 1GB RAM as a Media Center PC for our bedroom, (1) AMD Thunderbird 950MHz as my old audio/synth/sequencing computer, (1) 2.16GHz 24" iMac
(5) total computers

I am to computers, as Iceberg is to FTA equipment. :D

1 windows 2003 server enterprise (domain controller, exchange2003, web)
1 windows 2003 server standard (backup dc and file replication)
1 windows 2008 standard server RC0 (testing)
2 vista ultimate (1 desktop, 1 laptop)
1 vista business laptop
1 imac (the crappy one with the whole computer built in the monitor)
1 trs-80 "portable-26-pounds!" 4P with 128K RAM and 5Meg external hard drive (yes it still works, sure wish somebody had ever made an ethernet adapter for those)
1 tandy 1400LT with 20MB drive and MS-DOS 4 or 5, i forget which. no ethernet available for those either.

about 8 others in various states of disrepair which I could use as "spare parts" to get about 5 more running if I feel the urge. two or three more trs-80's in the attic for parts.
there's probably more stuff i forgot to mention, i really need to quit collecting crap. and i didn't mention a couple of virtual servers that run on the vista ultimate desktop.

oh yeah, the wife got a blackberry pearl last week so i have that to keep running too.

Thank god I'm not alone. I have 15 total powered up and networked.
Various MS, Linux, Solaris OS for Security testing, data/media storage, web, email, DNS, gaming, wireless authentication for my nieghborhood, virus database, infected machines for virus testing, blah, blah blah. Plus some VMware stuff for whatever pops up.

Thank god I'm not alone. I have 15 total powered up and networked.
Various MS, Linux, Solaris OS for Security testing, data/media storage, web, email, DNS, gaming, wireless authentication for my nieghborhood, virus database, infected machines for virus testing, blah, blah blah. Plus some VMware stuff for whatever pops up.
And all of them licensed ? So, total cost is ?

Every time I upgrade my CAD system, the old stuff works it's way down through the rest of the family. So, counting my office and a family of 10, there are:

3 desktops in my office: 1 @ core2duo & 1 @ P4 2.4 both w/ XP Pro and 1 @ P3 with Dos 6.2.

Throughout the rest of the house there's 4 more Pentium XP desktops and one with Win 98. Oh and there's some kind of a Laptop that's been visiting for too long that needs to find it's way to an apartment soon.

Too many...

1 Windows 2000 Professional desktop acting as a server
1 Ubuntu server
1 XP Laptop
1 Vista Laptop
2 Vista Destops

Plus 4 older desktops not currently in use...

Way too many...

Having leftovers from closed company - if you will connect all of them, home circuit breakers will go down.
Sun/Mac/PC/servers/workstations/desktops/laptops/network:Cisco/3COM/HP/Foundry Networks/etc.
Perfect set for develop SW in heterogen environment or practice for certifications. :)

Lets see.

8 in the media room.
8 in the server room.
3 in the kids rooms.
1 in the work shed.

No need to turn on the heater in winter. :)

P1140127.jpg

P2030146.jpg

PA040093.jpg

20030629-001.jpg

PA270042.jpg

Computers I own

2 dual core Desktops I built. (From Newegg.com)
2 Dell Laptops (XPS and Latitude)
2 IBM AS/400's (Running Linux, Use for File Server)
1 Dell PowerEdge Server (Also use for File Server)

3 desktops (one fulltime Linux-Debian, one dualboot Linux-Fedora/Win2k, one XP only)

2 laptops (one XP, one MCE)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts