How many here have alot of time for FTA ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Got time for FTA ? - which option applies to you

• Fully Retired / All the time I care to dedicate to FTA

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Semi Retired / Greatest Job in the world

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • 9-5 or similar/ but you still make time for FTA

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Wish I had more time / tied up with work and family

Votes: 23 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
How many here have alot of time for FTA ?

If you care to share your secret as to how you do have time , be my guest .... and for those who wish they had more time , do tell about those long hours away from FTA.

I have a feeling that most FTA folks have more time for the hobby than non FTA folks , but that's only a hunch , this poll is open for next 30 days .

Last edited:
Sick of looking for decent work with decent hours ( I'm a blue collar guy) so I just stopped looking. I was tired of 80 hours a week for 10.00 an hour. Wife has a good job, so we pared expenses to the bone, I have plenty of time for FTA, taking care of my elderly Mom, and doing the chores around the house. At age 37. :D

Being a single guy has its advantages :)
I dont get home at night until after 6 so weekends is my main time to work with FTA. Now that its getting cooler its easier to work on it. I'd rather work in the cooler temps than when its hot :)

during the week its a "if needed" basis to tweak the dishes but weekends are for that. During the week is just scanning :)

I work full time, have a family that keeps me busy full time, and have several church responsibilities that keep me busy full time.. so I feel like I have 3 full-time jobs .. so FTA only gets as much attention as I can justify... so "FTA time" only happens only when something is broke or I have something that might benefit the family or church right now :(

I retired from working as a General Motors electrician in March, and have been spending much of the time fixing up our old house for sale ( which thankfully just sold) , and moving into our newer home in Holland, Mi. We have been in Holland about 2 months, the immediate things that needed to be done ARE done, and now I have the time to play that I want.
At first glance I have terrible LOS to the south. My neighbors house sits about 25 feet away due south of mine. That 22 degree offset, though , makes a lot of difference because I can get everything from Amazonas ( when it has something to watch) to 148W without missing a bird. I wouldn't have thought it was possible except for my playing around last summer with my small dish on the deck, being amazed by what I could pick up over the treeline. It's only when you have to "lay the dish down" for the eastern birds ( 43W comes to mind), that I probably will be out of luck.
My winter project will be learning to use TSREADER effectively. I've toyed with it, but never had time to work with it.

:)

I'm in the same boat as lumpkin. 2 little girls (4 and 18months), full time job, wife works nights 3 days a week at the hospital and then family and church responsibilities. So it's once in a while and sometimes nothing for a couple weeks. But it's fun to play and scan and catch an occasional game or movie

I had a unique situation just like Stogie , I was the primary caregiver for my Grandmother and my Mom's helper until last Thursday when Grandma passed away:( , have worked close to home for over 7 years and my work week was from 24-32 hours most of the time with an occasional 40 hour or more week if someone got sick or was going on vacation , I turn 37 next week .

Add the fact that I'm single and did not go out much , well that meant plenty of time for FTA and Internet , heck I felt semi-retired under my Moms roof but now that circumstances are different I don't know what changes lie ahead for me .

I do like messing around with the 2 FTA setups I have , my Mom on the other hand likes when I leave her stationary dish alone.

Just became a father 5 months ago, work full-time and also fairly heavily involved at church. Also in the middle of home renovations and I have another passion with photography.

Happy to be an FTA'r though even if there's not always the time for it :)

rotating shift worker (12 hr shifts) when not working , i love working with the youth at church ...... but always seem to have some for FTA surfing time :D I also like to work with photos although i can't take good shots, i can work with em, scan and convert them to shows & movies :) i didn't fit into any of the groups listed and didn't vote ... to young to retire

I voted for your first option "Fully Retired / All the time I care to dedicate to FTA". I have all the time I choose to apply to this Great Hobby! My only regret is, I'm too lazy....
I'm retired at age 52, because the place I formerly worked close down. I have chosen to try and get by with my small Supplemental Pension. And so far it's working out. I'm in a position to go to work if I get bored or if I feel I need to. So far that hasn't happened. Been out of work for a year and a half now. Hope I never have too....

Al

My hobby is my profession. You would think that 12 -14 hours a day at work would be enough, but then I go home and experiment with samples and play with feeds.

Here is a photo of testing LNBF samples at home two weekends ago.....

Being single helps!

Attachments

• DSCN1783.JPG
    DSCN1783.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 229
My hobby is my profession. You would think that 12 -14 hours a day at work would be enough, but then I go home and experiment with samples and play with feeds.

Here is a photo of testing LNBF samples at home two weekends ago.....

Being single helps!
Looks like some monoblocks there :)

My time is really limited, for now anyway. I work at a factory with overtime nearly every week.
Also I am rebuilding my home and hoping to be in it sometime this winter.
Then I would have a "ultimate video system" consisting of FTA, Directv (legal), and 4DTV systems, along with my VCR and DVD. And also have satellite internet (Wildblue).
Sometime I would scan on FTA to see what I would be missing. Great fun!

Always find time for FTA. I retired from us postal service (letter carrier, not disgrunteled) after 35 years and was offerd a job at the marina on an airforce base playing with their boats 4 hours a day. I lived on a boat for 5 years on the gulf and wish I knew about fta then because I could see horizon to horizon with no trees.

Thanks for Answering Poll ...............

This poll has been dead for sometime so I decided to bump it and also thank all those who participated.

My hunch was wrong , I really expected FTA'ers to have alot more time on their hands for the hobby.

The best part of this poll was reading all the personal posts from members here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)