How many of us realize when traveling how much we miss FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
A weekend trip to buy equipment for my radio station took me from Michigan to North Carolina. Tonight we stopped in Virginia. Nice hotel, Large screen TV is nice, but the selection on the screen is, to me, less than what I get with OTA and FTA! And, its off a paid service which froze on-screen for literally 20 minutes, too! (a problem I don't have with C-band FTA) I realized tonite, while away, how many feeds, distant channels, and programs I really enjoy having live and on my MicroHD hard Drive.

Does this hit others in our assembled group here when traveling like it did me? Seems the "normal" fare offered in hotels kind of pales when compared to a functional and up to date FTA system properly set up and regularly used.

Obviously if I'd gone camping or to "get away from it all" this wouldn't be top of mind, or in my mind at all........but when in a hotel....

FTA. It's worth the work!

I've been thinking about hooking up a Slingbox for cases such as this... Maybe I will, but since I have the dvr function on the MicroHD, I haven't seen a serious immediate need just yet. But I am researching Slingboxes...

I do not like to travel if it is not the RV... Where is home? Out in the parking lot! We have not stayed in a motel in .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 6 years. Travel in those 6 years, right at 230,000 miles --- oop 6 year 187,000 miles. I have not had to miss Satellite TV more than 6 days of travel ( and only 2 for sure.)

alternatives

So what are we saying? Ku for camping?
Now we want to take along C-band, too? ;)

I like the idea of a hard drive full of shows, and have many.
It's just a matter of viewing them.

A friend recently got a 64gb iPad .
I'm anxious to see how that works as both display and portable storage. :)

Even if I were hard up, I still don't think the 3.5" screen of an iPhone would work, though.
If it did, and you had a generous data plan, you could watch YouTube or Netflix.

Maybe my post did look like that --- I have not HAD to miss.... I am NOT saying the dish gets set up right away. Many times it has not been set up for a week or more, but when I want it, in 15 minutes or so, it is running. The only time I know for sure I missed FTA , I went somewhere to show and sell , and NO view of the sky.

depending on the time of year
summer? doesnt bother me a bit....I go to the lake to get away. No internet there. The only reason we have Dish there is with the DTV conversion we have one channel and that is PBS (CBS is iffy now)

But fall and winter when college football and hockey is around? Thats different. But honestly I dont travel much other than to the lake house

Back in the 80's someone came up with a nice portable cband can't recall the name but its on the front cover of COOP.

Rather take a dish camping than going to a hotel two words "Bed Bugs" when in doubt take a long a small ku band dish for fun.

Dan Rose

I can disconnect quite easilly... FTA, emails, surfing, streaming... I can go weeks on end without missing it. Sometimes its just great to get away from the routine.

Cheers, K

Back in the 80's someone came up with a nice portable cband can't recall the name but its on the front cover of COOP.

I cant find the picture right now, but are you refering to what looks like a 20 foot beachball with the LNB strapped around it?

Cheers, K

I cant find the picture right now, but are you refering to what looks like a 20 foot beachball with the LNB strapped around it?

Cheers, K

June 1982
http://theoldcatvequipmentmuseum.org/220/221/CSD/33_June-1982.PDF

june_1982.jpg

Can't open the .PDF at the moment. Judging by the pic, it looks nice and lightweight. We spend the weekend at Lake George, NY for some R&R and shopping. I didn't miss my gear, however I had an eye open for dishes and what not. I was surprised to being in the country there were very few BUDs to be seen. One restaurant had 2 10 footers that had all the panels missing...horrible!

Cheers, K

Sad is the c band dish I drive by down the road on a ranch that had a bright idea to open the fence to her cattle and let the steers use the C band dish for a back scratcher. The lower half of the dish (mesh dish) is destroyed! I see lots of BUDs within 60-120 miles that haven't been used in years.

Thats why I have two microHD's and two slingboxes. :) I can control and watch my Big C/KU dish or my stand alone KU DISH anywhere I want. :D

Thats why I have two microHD's and two slingboxes. :) I can control and watch my Big C/KU dish or my stand alone KU DISH anywhere I want. :D
I go a lot more places where I can not get internet than places I can not get 97W. I have been on the road for 3 weeks without any chance of internet and watched BVOV almost every day, on TBN, Daystar or GOD-TV, depending on the time of day or night.

Although, I often wish I had internet on the road, and truly wish my "high speed internet" at home was faster than dial-up. When I can go to town and sit outside the "NoTell MoTell" and get higher speed wireless than my home LAN connection....

BTW, Scott, re: your Sig.. This was the first of our fall storms last night and today!

Hey, SCOTT ---- Thanks for Satellite Guys. Without this website I am very sure I would not be ENJOYING any TV. And so -- without this site, my answer to the Topic question would then be, "What is FTA?" So THANK YOU, for all you have provided; and I am pleased to be counted as a supporter.

I missed it when we were in the hospital having the baby. Actually I would have liked to of had my 722K DISH receiver, they still have old analog cable in town, nothing wrong with analog, but all the channels are so snowy and blinking in and out, bout drove me crazy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)