how many receivers am i allowed on a new account?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

juveman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
usa
I am looking to switch to direct tv. i have 3 receivers that i bought on ebay and will need one with my subscription. i have others tvs i can hook up. how many receivers am i allowed on the premier package? are there monthly charges for the the extra receivers over and above the one that i get with my subscription?

juveman said:
I am looking to switch to direct tv. i have 3 receivers that i bought on ebay and will need one with my subscription. i have others tvs i can hook up. how many receivers am i allowed on the premier package? are there monthly charges for the the extra receivers over and above the one that i get with my subscription?

You can have as many as you wish. 6 or 7 bucks a month per receiver (can't remember) but you do get one free. As for the initial price, NORMALLY you can get 6 but not always. First 4 are free to install then directv will start charging installs fees plus extra per receiver ranging from $49-399 depending on what you want. The receivers you have can't be activated on a new account and unless they're owned receivers NOT leased from directv you won't get them activated at all

thanks for the response. i have called direct tv and given them the receiver id's and they did confirm that they were legitimate and i thought that they said that they could be activated on my new account once i have signed up. is it possible that they mislead me? i do own the three receivers and they are direct tv receivers that i bought from someone.

juveman said:
thanks for the response. i have called direct tv and given them the receiver id's and they did confirm that they were legitimate and i thought that they said that they could be activated on my new account once i have signed up. is it possible that they mislead me? i do own the three receivers and they are direct tv receivers that i bought from someone.

Sorta, they can be added but only after your account is active. The installer can only take care of your initial install, nothing owned. Once the account is up and running you can have them come back and hook up the owned boxes. Dumb they can't do it all at once, yes.

two questions.... what is an swm? also, i have more than 4 tvs so even if i need to get 2 dishes i will do it. i just need to know how many receivers direct tv allows me to have per account?

two questions.... what is an swm? also, i have more than 4 tvs so even if i need to get 2 dishes i will do it. i just need to know how many receivers direct tv allows me to have per account?

swm=single wire multiswitch - 1 wire from lnb to splitter, 1 from splitter to each reciever. not all recievers are compatible
what recievers do you have?

i think you can have as many as you want, as long as you dont mind paying for the units

can i do the other installs myself if i wanted to or can i get a local "expert" to do it?

you can buy theequipment and do it yourself.
but you cannot activate owned equipment until you already have an account
(ie you must activate a leased reciever first)

i know by memory that one of them is the h24-700 the other two i dont remember because they are at home.

if you list what you have and what you want to accomplish you will get more accurate answers
the recievers will dictate what else you want

its diff with an swm system
a swm16 can accomidate 16 tuners
more if you chain them, iirc

The installer told me I would have to get another Dish installed on my roof. (he said nothing about a SWM16) And he proceeded to disconnect my 5th receiver because I didn't want anymore holes in my roof ...since I'm at the beach on the Gulf of Mexico and hurricanes will rip a dish off...

The regular satellite has 8 tuners so once all 8 tuners are being used simultanously then you need the SWM16 doubling the tuners to 16. 1 HD/SD receiver = 1 tuner then DVR is 2 tuners and Genie is 5 tuners clients work off the genie tuners. Its all about tuners and not TVs as also you can mirror TVs if you dont want more tuners.

The regular satellite has 8 tuners so once all 8 tuners are being used simultanously then you need the SWM16 doubling the tuners to 16. 1 HD/SD receiver = 1 tuner then DVR is 2 tuners and Genie is 5 tuners clients work off the genie tuners. Its all about tuners and not TVs as also you can mirror TVs if you dont want more tuners.

Can I buy one of the SWM16 and install it myself so the other TV in the mother-in-law suite will work? It's a standard TV and Receiver.

Once again that depends on what receivers they are. Not all are compatible with SWM. Technically, assuming you have all single tuner (or up to three dual-tuner DVRs) SWM-compatible receivers, you could use a SWM8 at half the price. The only SWM compatible SD receiver IIRC is the D12 (and there are a couple SD DVRs as well - R16, R22, and R23).

The SWM switch (regardless if it is SWM8 or SWM16) requires all four lines from your current dish going in, then you'd run from the SWM switch to an 8 way green label splitter, and each receiver line would go to that splitter. There is also a power injector which can be installed either at the switch location or at a receiver location connected to port #1 on the splitter.

There are two 'Legacy' ports on the SWM8/16 as well, which will allow you to connect up to two non-SWM receivers (or one non-SWM DVR) to the system.

If your receivers are ALL non-SWM, then you're going to need to install a traditional/legacy 4x8 multiswitch. If this is the case and you are out of contract, you should seriously look into retention offers to get upgraded to a newer system with better/HD receivers.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts