How many receivers?

ckbrown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Monroe LA.
Morning All,

I have been reading many posts here and am totally confused.
How many receivers can you have on one Dish account?
Does the number of tuners affect cause a problem?
Does owning the receivers not count against the limit of receivers ?
If you have a Hopper account does that change things?
I understand that a Hopper account disallows having and dual tuner receivers, is that correct?
Trying to see how many receivers I can add to a 1000.4 dish unit.

Creating 3 posts about the same issue is a good way to get banned.... :facepalm
Hello mr numb,

I believe that you are referring to the two posts that I created about my bosses camp receiver questions. I replied to that mistake already and apologized to the staff for not seeing my original post and re-posting my original question. I asked the authority person to please take the two posts and combine them. I have no idea if it can be done or not. Out of my hands. HOWEVER, I fail to see any correlation between the previous posts and this post. For your enlightenment I was asking a personal question about my very own Dish account. We are adding persons to our living conditions and I would like to keep them from overloading my original receiver. If it will make you feel more in control I will create a second user id for my personal questions or do you consider that too much? Please advise your decision as soon as possible as I have other questions that the Dish CSR's appear to be clueless about.
Thanks,
forum upstart

Reactions: glynnp
Morning All,

I understand that a Hopper account disallows having and dual tuner receivers, is that correct?
I am not sure of the total limit, but I am pretty sure it is based on number of receivers, not number of tuners.

If you have to have a Hopper on the account, that limits you to two other stand-alone receivers (ViP211 or Wally) only. Anything else would have to be a second Hopper and/or Joeys. The limits on number of Hoppers or Joeys varies, depending on which type of Hopper.

A Wally is a dual tuner receiver (if you also add an external hard drive for DVR functionality) if that helps.

The total number of receivers you can have hooked up would depend on which switches you use, and how you cascade them, but I realize the question is more about what Dish will allow on a single account, rather than what is technically possible.

Reactions: JSheridan
Morning All,

I had four HWSs on one account before I upgraded to Hopper 3. I now have two Hopper 3s on one account.

Reactions: TheKrell
I am not sure of the total limit, but I am pretty sure it is based on number of receivers, not number of tuners.

If you have to have a Hopper on the account, that limits you to two other stand-alone receivers (ViP211 or Wally) only. Anything else would have to be a second Hopper and/or Joeys. The limits on number of Hoppers or Joeys varies, depending on which type of Hopper.

A Wally is a dual tuner receiver (if you also add an external hard drive for DVR functionality) if that helps.

The total number of receivers you can have hooked up would depend on which switches you use, and how you cascade them, but I realize the question is more about what Dish will allow on a single account, rather than what is technically possible.

This is the kind of information that I am looking for. To give more information. Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter are living with us now. They use our 722K to record shows for the baby. She being autistic and 5 this year she demands the TV being on all the time and on shows she can stand. They are filling up my storage on the 722K. That is why I am asking about the number of receivers that I own as opposed to lease. We lease the 722K now but if we need to purchase it to allow us to add receivers and ehd's to the new receivers that is fine. Or if getting the Hopper3 and some joeys will give better service with less expense that is what we will need. She is going to grow up and probably need a TV in her room. I suspect that there will be another TV in the parents room to keep a eye on her. Just asking for whatever you can share so I can try to get Dish to work with us. Or return to Comcast and multiple black boxes. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This is the kind of information that I am looking for. To give more information. Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter are living with us now. They use our 722K to record shows for the baby. She being autistic and 5 this year she demands the TV being on all the time and on shows she can stand. They are filling up my storage on the 722K. That is why I am asking about the number of receivers that I own as opposed to lease. We lease the 722K now but if we need to purchase it to allow us to add receivers and ehd's to the new receivers that is fine. Or if getting the Hopper3 and some joeys will give better service with less expense that is what we will need. She is going to grow up and probably need a TV in her room. I suspect that there will be another TV in the parents room to keep a eye on her. Just asking for whatever you can share so I can try to get Dish to work with us. Or return to Comcast and multiple black boxes. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Try to get DISH to work with you. DISH has superior DVRs.

I had four HWSs on one account before I upgraded to Hopper 3. I now have two Hopper 3s on one account.
So what does the HWSs do? Would it fit in our future situation? I asked about the Hopper 3 as I have seen it mentioned many times in the threads. What would having two Hopper 3s get me? How bad are the fees and can you still connect a purchased receiver to the system using a switch from the LNB on the 1000.4 dish.

Try to get DISH to work with you. DISH has superior DVRs.
Right, I agree that the 722K is a fabulous machine. I am looking at the expense of expanding the home system for the least initial expense and lowest fees possible.
That is why I was asking about a purchased 211K with a EHD for recording the local programs for her to watch and for my son-in-law to record his wrestling that I have no interest in. Thanks so very much!

Any Hopper (other than the Hopper Duo) would have a larger hard drive (2TB) than the ViP722k (500 GB) you have now. A Wally would also support up to a 2TB external hard drive, so that is an option also. It really just comes down to the number of tuners you need, and how much you are willing to pay in monthly fees. A Wally has the same monthly fee as a Joey ($7 per month) but the Wally adds two tuners for independent viewing/recording on one TV (the Wally does not integrate into the Hopper system) while a regular Joey adds no tuners. (A Super Joey would add two tuners, but cannot be used at all with a Hopper 3.) To add a Hopper 3 to a 1000.4 dish, you would need the DPH42 switch. This switch would also allow you to add a second Hopper or Wally if you want to do that. The Wally supports the dual-tuner OTA adapter, so that would give you twice as many tuners (2 satellite + 2 OTA) as a ViP211k, for the same monthly cost.

I suggest you get a single H3 and a Joey3 for each additional TV. That would give you 16 satellite tuners. This could be the most bang for the buck. If you decide you need another H3 down the road, you can add it later. You, currently, would have to buy the second H3.

There is a lot more storage space on the H3, as noted, and you can add one or more EHDs, as you can today. Any EHD from the ViP722 series will be viewable on the H3, so you lose nothing.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better the H3 is, over the ViP series.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I note you talk a lot about purchased receiver vs leased receivers. The only difference between each is that you own the purchased receiver. All monthly costs are exactly the same either way. You can add a purchased receiver to your system simply by attaching to the system and then activating it with Dish. IMHO the only advantage to purchased receiver is that you can easily activate and deactivate it and keep the receiver. With al leased receiver, if you deactivate it you must return it immediately to Dish. So, let's say that you have a room that gets used only occasionally by guests, you could activate that receiver when they are there and then deactivate it when they aren't, saving $7 a month.

Also the limit of leased receivers is less than the total number of receivers you can have on your account but I do not know the current numbers but before the Hoppers came out it was two leased and up to six total on the account.
It's still the same,. On a Hopper 3, you can have 1 Hopper 3 and 5 Joeys. Any more than that and you have to purchase them

But if you don’t have any kangaroo stuff on your account the limit is 6.

Directv on the other hand I have done accounts with 15 receivers.

Sad only 1 genie being allowed
Yep, I've had customers with 6 211's - trunking 44 Switches is always a pain - and wanted a 7th but didn't want to purchase a receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts