How many RSN's can one city have?

pjm8047

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
syracuse,ny
Because DBS is cutting costs and not paying the extra fees to MSG to provide them in your area.

To me you should get all RSNs that televises games for your home teams, but DBS doesn't do it that way. Cable on the other hand has followed this pretty well.

No. There are several places that have 2 RSNs. All of florida has both FSN Florida and Sunshine Network.

If the pirates are in green on that website for your zipcode then yes, if not then no.

Oh if FSN Pit doesn't show up than that means there's no teams on it that you can see, so it's kinda a waste.

You can try what another member did, by calling and complaining about how his home sports teams are on MSG and Not FSN Pittsburgh, so they gave him the multisport pack for free which gave him all the rns and enabled him to watch the teams that are on MSG

should empire be taken off the website and be replaced and with Foxp2. I will Find out during baseball season if I can watch pirate baseball.

pjm,

Hi I live north of you in Ogdensburg (zip 13669) in summer time. E* did not pay for MSG and FSNY in Rochester, Syracuse and most of the northern half of the state. We are stuck in a never land now with Fox Pittsburg. We will not qualify for Pirates games, as we are not in their area, Buffalo and Jamestown do qualify. Most all live sports on Fox Pittsburg will be blacked out to us. Unless Dish changes their policy and signs contracts with RSN's as Direct does, we might as well not even have a RSN. Best I can offer is email and complain to Dish, but I expect they will not do anything. Of course if Mets form their own RSN in 2006, we won't need MSG or FSNY for Mets games anyway. But I would expect Dish would refuse to sign a contract with a new RSN anyway. That is why we have no YES on E*.

I don't know why that website you refer to shows MSG, I called E* a few weeks ago and they said they could not sell me MSG ( they did not give reason). But they would sell me FSNY for $1.50 a month, but I would still be blacked out on Mets I am asssuming because E* signed a limited coverage for baseball.

that website shows all networks that carry home games, even if dish doesn't give them to you as your RSN. If youactually bought the multisport pack you would get the games on MSG.

BFG, not quite true, Dish excluded most zip codes in northern half of state from getting METS, even though we are in Mets tv territory. You can get Knicks and Nets, and Rangers if there were any Rangers anymore, but no baseball.

ok, sounds like you know what you're talking about more than me ;) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this with us! :)

pjm, nope I tried the other night, most Big East games are blacked out on Fox Pittsburg and all A10 games are. West coast games are not blacked out but we could get them on FSN Alt. channels. The only way I know around problem for college basketball is to subscribe to Full Court, Then you get the games that are blacked out on Fox Pittsburg.

My team is the yanks. Don't like the pirates don't care for this channel. The only thing I like to watch on this channel is the UFC and TNA wrestling. They won't block that I hope. :) :)

I went to that dishexp website a couple of weeks ago and ran about a 100 zip codes for NY state through it. And basically E* offers Empire to northern half of state. They do not offer FSNY or MSG to Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, northern half of Fingerlakes, and Northern NY. You may be able in some zips to get MSG, but will not gets METS games as many zipcodes are not included in Mets coverage. NOw in Cortland zip you can get Mets but not in Syracuse 30 mile up road. Crazy thing is Jamestown zip gets Mets and Pirates both.

The whole RSN thing is getting out of Hand IMO. we're getting to the point where each team will have their own RSN with the rest of the programming filler content. I think there might even be a day where non national sports is only delivered throughed the pro sports packages, and these RSNs need not to exist...

In our area, we are actually up to 3 on every cable system around here: Fox Chicago, Fox Midwest & Comcast Chicago. Some of the smaller systems have dropped Fox Chicago, but Insight still carries all 3 on expanded basic in all the major cities in our region.

Now, as far as DBS goes, it's kind of a cluster-f*%k:

D* only now carries Comcast Chicago in TC - to get Fox Midwest, you have to add the SportsPak, JUST to get the same local teams that you do on cable.

E* carries NONE of our regional's now in AT120 - yea, they're supposed to add Comcast Chicago on 4/1/05, but that doesn't help us NOW for the Bull's season. :mad: :mad: Like D*, you have to add Multisports to get Fox Midwest as well.

While it would appear that Fox Chicago might go away entirely & negate this problem, it still doesn't change the fact that DBS subs in my area have to spend an extra $6+ a month, just to get the same teams that they do on expanded basic cable. This is the overriding reason why the casual sports fans around here will NOT switch to DBS, as they think it's a ripoff to have to pay an extra $6+, just to get ALL of the same sports teams they now get on cable.

I feel your pain, i'm in the same boat you are. Even though i'm in the home market for FSN Midwest & North, I need the multi sport package as well. What's going to happen this fall with FSN's coverage of Big 12 football and the primary rsn here in central Iowa is Comcast Sports Net Chicago?

The blankety blank is going to hit the fan!

Because FSN Midwest isn't carried as the main rsn here, that's probably why Royals games were blacked out last year on the sports alternate channels. I'm 3 hours from KC and since i'm in Royals TV country, they are blacked out on MLB extra innings as well!

Oh, my folks have E* in SW Iowa, FSN Midwest is their "free" rsn and enjoyed watching the Royals stink the joint up all of last year on the "sports alternate channels" :(

dishrich said:
In our area, we are actually up to 3 on every cable system around here: Fox Chicago, Fox Midwest & Comcast Chicago. Some of the smaller systems have dropped Fox Chicago, but Insight still carries all 3 on expanded basic in all the major cities in our region.

Now, as far as DBS goes, it's kind of a cluster-f*%k:

D* only now carries Comcast Chicago in TC - to get Fox Midwest, you have to add the SportsPak, JUST to get the same local teams that you do on cable.

E* carries NONE of our regional's now in AT120 - yea, they're supposed to add Comcast Chicago on 4/1/05, but that doesn't help us NOW for the Bull's season. :mad: :mad: Like D*, you have to add Multisports to get Fox Midwest as well.

While it would appear that Fox Chicago might go away entirely & negate this problem, it still doesn't change the fact that DBS subs in my area have to spend an extra $6+ a month, just to get the same teams that they do on expanded basic cable. This is the overriding reason why the casual sports fans around here will NOT switch to DBS, as they think it's a ripoff to have to pay an extra $6+, just to get ALL of the same sports teams they now get on cable.

question about Sunshine Network & FSN FL

BFG said:
No. There are several places that have 2 RSNs. All of florida has both FSN Florida and Sunshine Network.

If the pirates are in green on that website for your zipcode then yes, if not then no.

Speaking to a CSR last night about Sunshine Network & FSNFL and she told me that I could only get FSNFL because I wasnt in a zip code that begins with "33" for Sunshine Network. I am in North florida with a zip code of 32223 and Sunshine is still showing up on my programming though. The reason I called Voom was becuase I wasnt getting FSNFL at all so I called to question it. I guess what I wanna know is, is all of Florida supposed to get Sunshine or was she wrong?

Thanks,
Todd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)