How many subscribers will Dish lose to DirectTV Sunday Ticket?

Interesting topic. I switched from DirecTV (with NFLST) to Dish just recently. I had NFLST because I moved to Denver a few years ago and the Packers were no longer my local team, and I needed a way to watch my Green and Gold.

The price had actually been coming down before this. 3 years ago it was $400. 2 years ago they made HD automatic instead of extra, and made the mobile apps optional so for someone like me who just wanted the games on TV in HD, my price dropped to $360. Then last year it dropped to $300.

But for what I wanted (Packer games), even $300 was a tremendous ripoff last year. Maybe I'm just lucky that the Packers are good right now so they get a lot of nationally televised games. I'm also fortunate that the Broncos are AFL and play mostly late games, while the Packers usually play early. When all was said and done, there were a whopping 4 games that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to watch without Sunday Ticket. On top of that I was still unable to watch the ESPN game since we had the family pack (I went to a friend's - great game btw).

So here I am with Dish, I have ESPN back, and I plan on subbing to the sports pack for $9 when the season starts. Anytime the Packers aren't nationally televised, I'll have the Redzone channel. $9 vs $199 for a handful of games? No contest.

No, 2003 and 2004 were championship years, which were 8 and 9 years ago. WITHIN THIS DECADE. And really, let's do the math, 3 out of 5 is still better than any other franchise in the last decade.
The year is currently 2012. 2003 and 2004 were LAST DECADE years. It is within the last ten years, but not within this decade. I wanted to have some fun with this (I did mention I'm from Detroit, the Lions you know). But I guess you're not up to it. :(

I think the Sunday Ticket loses it's appeal more and more every year. The only appeal it has is for sports bars. I'm a Bears fan so I rarely have to miss a game at home but I usually go to our pub where I'm a memeber of the fan club there.

I use to pull for the Lions in years past because they were so terrible but now they're a fearsome opponent. They've done a great job drafting, even picking up an Iowa player.

P.S. Megatron is a monster WR!

Directv must be loosing a substantial amount of money on ST. I appear to be like most people in this forum and are delighted that Dish is not subsidizing the NFL with all Dish customers having to pay more. I get all the NFL games that I care to watch. My local team plus at least 2 others on Sunday afternoon, Sunday night and the other games. Usually just watch my local team and Redzone, which was a very nice addition by Dish. Watch other games if I'm interested and can also watch replays of other games if interested. I doubt that Dish will loose many customers to Directv over ST. Directv will have to increase the prices for everyone to make up for their losses on ST and should loose customers to Dish!

I don't know. Directv is still the pro-sports (other than Soccer) place to go. They have (had the Europa League games), have NASCAR Hotpass, Super League Rugby (the monsters!!!), and 24/7 RSNs... so they still have that going for them. But you clearly pay for that premium in their higher package rates (single rcvr to single rcvr).

Oh, and the Patriots have been in 5 of the last 11 Super Bowls (6 of the last 15). So they are more than just The Team of the Decade. They could have done better, but they didn't get to play the Broncos or Bills in the Super Bowl. Besides, we know how Detroit feels. We had one of the worst franchises in the late 80's, early 90's. :^(

Everyone always says that DTV is the best for sports but I have never had a problem watching any sporting event that I wanted to see. It helps that all of my favorite teams are considered local. With ESPN, NFL Network, NBA network, NHL network, MLB network, NBC Sports, Big Ten Network, alternate sports channels, RSNs, TNT, TBS, Golf channel, Tennis channel, local channels, etc.... Thats a pretty long list if you ask me. Of course there is the occasional black out but I rarely see that happen to me.

Last edited:
Exactly! I think that ST has also lost its charm with people who don't subscribe. We aren't seeing a mass exodus from Dish and the cable companies over lack of ST. Sure, some who have other problems will site ST as a sub-reason for switching, but people who didn't care before won't care now. If I was seriously leaving Dish, i would value cable's On Demand services over ST on DirecTV. That's not to say that I would choose cable over DirecTV, but when comparing value. One day of ST per week at $110, for 4 months, isn't worth the value of On Demand.

Heck, if you've got Amazon Prime, who needs cable's On Demand? I finally got around to setting up for it on my PS3 (used soley as a BD player), and was impressed at what was available, and how much was free. We can catch up on missed Primeval shows for squat.

But I agree, I think it's reached a point where D* may be losing some people over ST. Maybe they don't realize their price is higher in part because of ST, but they compare prices and packages and often Dish comes out on top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)