How many times have you had your ViP 622/722 replaced?

A variation on the theme: I have two 622's, both got replaced within three days. First one, which was the very first generation 622, bad HDMI port, etc., had worked fine until I replaced the Smart Card. After a few weeks of rebooting itself two to three times an hour, DISH sent me a replacement. Then, in a strange chain of events, in which DISH de-activated my second 622 while activating the replacement 622 for number one, the DISH tech they sent out to deal with that issue (which we didn't realize was the problem at the time) was having so much trouble getting ViP 622 #2 to download the program information that he gave up and replaced it from his truck..

My 622's second tuner went out after 15 mos. Replaced with 722. Other 722 going on a year now.

I swapped-out my first 622 three times due to the HDMI problem. I just used component went the the HDMI crapped out for the 4th time and moved it down the basement set. My two other 622s didn't have the HDMI issue, and all three received worked just fine until I retired them when we got FiOS.

0... On my first 622 since they first were released. HDMI still works and hopefully the HDD will keep spinning for a bit longer :) Currently it's full exposed to get plenty of ventilation, and on a UPS/surge suppressor.

Now that I posted this, it will probably die... :p

-Mike

Thanks for the responses!

I have had mine replaced for a failing hard drive, bad HDMI (right out of the box), and a continuous reboot issue (perhaps due to power issues in my house). The fourth unit is being sent out as I type. I am not sure what caused the 'continuous reboot' issue. DISH tech support states that it is a hardware issue. My unit is connected to a Monster Power HTS 1600 power conditioner. The power was cut off a few times (house remodeling) and I wonder if that was too much to handle for the 622's power supply. Such a delicate unit:rolleyes:

P.S. thankful that we have a DISH DVR 510 in our upstairs game room. I brought it downstairs to use in place of the 622. Man...we have grown so accustomed to using a DVR that we would go crazy without one!

Last edited:
One replacement, also for a failed hard drive. I have never had the HDMI problem as I tend to be very careful with the connections or move the cord. But then again maybe I am just lucky. I must say however that I appreciated their sending a new unit that got here within 3 days, and 30 days to return the bad one. IIRC I talked with the tech for about 2 minutes because I already went through all the toubleshooting steps and he knew what the problem was. Another 'known issue' probably.

3 times. The first was for a bad HDMI, which i didn't replace for the longest time. The other two were for stupid things like, it wouldn't allow the change of the remote address and the other was for not wanting to boot up. They replaced the last one with a 722 and it has worked fine for the past 6 months or so. Also, I have read many threads about NOT using a surge protector on these. What's the consensus now?

I attempted to get my first 622 replaced twice. When I connected the "new" units, found out it had more problems then my original. They were refurb junk that never was fixed. I just ended up keeping my orignal and dealing with my problem. I did not need extra problems besides.

Hi this is my 3 time that i change my VIP 622 i missing some HD channels like the ENCORE HD And CBS collage sports so they change my 622 i still missing that channels : (

Just curious...I am on my 4th ViP 622 receiver. Can't say it is the most reliable piece of equipment out there...

How about the rest of you guys? Let's see who had theirs replaced the most times:p
We have had 3 or 4 replacements for our 722. We had it about a year before with no problems and then all of a sudden, we have had several.

We are currently running on the assumption that it may be heat related (it was located in a cabinet with only an inch or 2 on the sides of the unit. It is now sitting with nothing on any side.

Geoff

I had a 622 for about 4 months... had it replaced with a 722 (upgrade :D). It has worked flawlessly for almost a year. Have a 612 that is only a few months old... working great!

One time, due to harddrive failure. though Dish told me my problem could be the surge protector and asked me to plug straight into the wall. Guess what...it did not fix the harddrive! shocking I know. It was hooked up to a execellent surge protector and the new 722 is as well.

0 issues, since july of 2007. Well ventilated and on a surge suppressor, and I don't use that over priced cable with poorly fitted hdmi connectors from a certain manufacturer.

I got the first one when they were first available in Feb. of 2006 and the second one in Sept. 2006. Both have been running great with no replacements. I did add an extra fan to each one for additional cooling.

Had my first 622 about a year and then it would not boot up, just had all lights on, and fan going strong. Sent that back and right out of the box the new one they sent would reboot itself every 5 minutes or so. Had my current one maybe 6 months and all is well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts