Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Its good that we're getting all these new stations in HD, but are we going to start getting a good amount of HD content from these channels in a reasonable amount of time? So far I haven't seen much and have seen HD stations go live with admittedly little to no HD content. Also, for some of these upcoming stations, what in it could be good or provided in HD? I mean what is comedy central HD going to have? In this day of digital technology and stuff like that, what is cartoon network in HD going to provide us? CMT in HD?
There doesn't seem to be much information about any of these stations in terms of what they're going to broadcast in HD, or what will make their HD station different than their SD versions..
Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the new HD stations I'm getting, but I just hope this isn't going to turn into a "sounds better than it actually is" deal, where yes we have a bunch of HD stations, but who cares if they're not broadcasting a decent amount of HD content?

i have to agree with the lack of true HD content on most of the channels. That being said, the PQ of these channels, with the exception of most of the programming on TBS, A&E, and the History Channel, is superior and more-watchable than the previous overcompressed SD signal we were receiving even if the content is still 4x3 or semi-zoomed/cropped. Many may disagree, but I think the Discovery HD channels do a nice job with their SD content (sometimes mislabeled in the guide). They seem to have perhaps found a happy medium in filling more of the 16x9 screen with 4x3 content without distorting it or overly blowing it up.

We may get better PQ if the encoders are not actually seeing all HD bandwidth at the same time. Some SD on some channels may acually work to our advantage.

this is the kind of thread im looking for.

has there actually been anything in hd on the channels d* added

so far i know of baseball on tnt, the graphics on the weather channel, some cnn shots

and I guess now a movie on usa...

this is the kind of thread im looking for.

has there actually been anything in hd on the channels d* added

so far i know of baseball on tnt, the graphics on the weather channel, some cnn shots

and I guess now a movie on usa...
a movie? everytime I have tuned to USA it has been HD. Same with Smithsonian Channel.

We have plenty of HD content if Law & Order is your thing.

Seriously... how many episodes of Law & Order can be on at one time on different channels?

IMO there is so much more content that I am considering dropping the HD pak come January. Is it really worth it now or when they add 100 channels?

IMO there is so much more content that I am considering dropping the HD pak come January. Is it really worth it now or when they add 100 channels?
what would you lose by dropping? hdnet, hdnet movies, smithsonian, uhd, mhd and MGM? and if we have it now arent we grandfathered at no additional charge?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, if we drop HD Access won't we loose all these new SD counterpart HD channels like USAHD and TNTHD?

From what I understand we get a freeview of the above mentioned channels until December, when the new 2 tier package goes into effect, then to get those channels we can buy up for another $5/month.

That makes sepse. I won't pay for HD Pak for a few channels that I don't really watch. Now if there were alot of channels in HD Pak I may consider keeping it. When the time comes and the "grandfather" period runs out, count on me only keeping HD Access.

Absolutely amazing! I have been visiting these forums for a few years now and all the constant rant was more HD. Now that there is more HD (which will continue to grow) we are seeing arguments for dropping HD. It just proves forums are the breeding ground of whiners. But I guess that comes as no surprise to many of us.

Absolutely amazing! I have been visiting these forums for a few years now and all the constant rant was more HD. Now that there is more HD (which will continue to grow) we are seeing arguments for dropping HD. It just proves forums are the breeding ground of whiners. But I guess that comes as no surprise to many of us.

Of course most of the comments in the forums are from people with gripes. Those that are happy with all the new HD are ........ WATCHING SOMETHING IN HD!

...I mean what is comedy central HD going to have? ...

Comedy Central will likely run their big ticket shows as HD, starting with Daily Show and Colbert Report. Then you will see the Chelsea Handler show and Mind if Mencia, etc convert to HD. And they will probably show HD versions of comedy concert/roasts, and either upconverted or originally-shot-in-HD comedy movies.

Yes it will take time to build a library of HD content to deliver, but switching their "live" shows to HD first would be quick easy way to provide some content...especially considering Daily Show/Colbert repeats from 11pm to 12 noon the next day ;)

Heck, even the Smithsonian channel -which is nothing but HD 24/7- said they would only have 75-100 hours of unique HD by year's end. SO lots of repeats there. But those who are late to the HD game will do what they can to build up an arsenal of shows/programming... :up

IMO this is a 2 phase operation: 1. get the channels broadcasting in hd. 2. provide content that is filmed in hd. It is cheaper to upscale a program to hd then it is to film the program in hd. People need to be patient, the hd content is just around the corner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts