How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

It doesn't make a lick of sense buying a Dish dvr. Unlike buying a Tivo with lifetime service for cable, there is no savings in fees and the dvr is only good with Dish Network service. What good is not having a contract when the equipment only works with the one service anyway? Then you have to find another person who doesn't want a contract to buy the dvr from you.

So if DISH would quote you $400. to upgrade like they did to the poster that posted it you would pay it?

Sorry but with all due respect on the other hand I would not and will never pay an upfront fee to upgrade a "leased" receiver.

When a 24 month commitment is not enough to swing an upgrade,that is when if I want something bad enough I just buy it,as I did with my VIP922/wMT2 I run now.

It has the new guide&Menu format with 4 tuners(2SAT+2OTA).For what I need out of my DISH system it works.:)

I am interested in 1 Hopper only - no Joeys. I have a SD TV. Will the Hopper work with a SD TV?

With two people in the house, a 722 on the main hd is fine. The other 4 receivers get the SD feed and the UHF Remote signal since it is much more reliable using a local remote. Since no 2 TV2's are used at the same time, this works, They get HD by tuning in any channel but the Dish TV2 channel (I use ch 21). I just can't see HD on DISH on those. Would I like a Hopper and Joey.. yes, but not at > $100. I can live with what I have. There was alot of talk before they launched this that it would be free for TOp 200's but I gues if you read between the lines, they meant NEW Top 200 customers. Besides, without OTH, this is just another non-player as far as I am concerned.

I am interested in 1 Hopper only - no Joeys. I have a SD TV. Will the Hopper work with a SD TV?

Assuming your TV has the inputs to match the outputs on the Hopper, sure. Hopper has component out, composite out, and HDMI. Your TV would need one of those. If it only has a coax input, then you'd have to buy an RF modulator and use the composite output from the Hopper into the modulator, then the modulator to your TV.

Better yet, use that $$ you'd spend on an RF modulator and save up for an HDTV! :)

I called said I was thinking about canceling out of contract and have been with them for 12 years. I ordered two Hoppers and three Joeys. One Hopper was free the second one was $99. The three Joeys were free as well.

I then I asked for programming credits stating that the competion offered cheaper rates for new customers. They gave be a $10 monthly credit for 12 months so thats $120 worth of credits which more than paid for the second Hopper. I then signed up for the protection plan and they waived the insall / tech fee. ($95) I have to keep the protection plan for four months at $6.00 a month ($24) In the end with all the credits net cost will be $4.00 for upgrade. I signed another two year agreement.

Install is Saturday I am upgrading from 2 722's most exited about HD on all TV's!

So if DISH would quote you $400. to upgrade like they did to the poster that posted it you would pay it?
HELL NO, I wouldn't! But I also don't see the sense in buying a locked product that doesn't save you any fees. I wouldn't even pay the $100 I was quoted the other day when I called just to see what type of customer I'm rated at. Before I make a down payment for a leased device, I would switch to cable for 6 months, and come back to get the new customer deals.

Scherrman said:
I don't want to sound like a Dish fanboy but you bashed one of Dish's best working receivers they've ever made. I find it hard to believe and cable company has a better DVR than the 722. That being said, if the 722 was not what you were expecting there are suome cases where you are allowed to swap to different equipment. Obviously there is a time frame to do it and you would need to talk to the righ person at Dish.

If you are a couple months into the contract then you are out of luck. Too much time has passed for swapping out for free. You also haven't been with Dish long enough for them to give you a discounted upgrade. I would also like to know if you did any research on the equipment you were interested in? If the UI was important to you I would think you would have made sure you knew what you were getting ahead of time. That's just me though.

My 922's have been dropping like flies. Fried hard drives, not recording programs, freezing, etc.... Was told to wait for the Hopper. I waited then was told that I needed to pay $1200. I'm not under contract, so the CSR asked me to downgrade my receiver to the 722. Yeah right.

zelldawg said:
My 922's have been dropping like flies. Fried hard drives, not recording programs, freezing, etc.... Was told to wait for the Hopper. I waited then was told that I needed to pay $1200. I'm not under contract, so the CSR asked me to downgrade my receiver to the 722. Yeah right.

I would PM a Dish Internet Response Team member, and if they can't help you email ceo@dish.com or ceo@dishnetwork.com. I find it extremely hard to believe that every 922 you have gotten has all those problems. They have proper ventiliation, right?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

--- believe it or not, my 922 started today to crash every time i try to see a recording, it's well ventilated and is using external fans to help to cool it, are they forcing us to upgrade with a bug? - it's only 8 months old - i will upgrade in a few weeks, but i have to buy all my equipment, even the duo node, and the money to buy new equipment is limited between weeks!!! ---

Cableco's have DVR's, too.
My point was that by switching from Dish to cable and back in 6 months he would lose all of his Dish DVR recordings, including any he has on an EHD. So, he must not have many/any.

This is interesting hope you have the DISH Service Plan.Also Hope you have everything plugged into a surge suppressor,because it sounds like you may be having voltage surges?.:confused:

zelldawg said:

You are not experiencing problems of others. 922 has some problems not generally those. I would say look to something in your house. Also $1200...

Tampa8 said:
You are not experiencing problems of others. 922 has some problems not generally those. I would say look to something in your house. Also $1200...

I have 2 722's and they work fine.

Jhon69 said:
This is interesting hope you have the DISH Service Plan.Also Hope you have everything plugged into a surge suppressor,because it sounds like you may be having voltage surges?.:confused:

Yes I have the service plan. I'm glad I signed up for it.

isaacmorseMI said:
I would PM a Dish Internet Response Team member, and if they can't help you email ceo@dish.com or ceo@dishnetwork.com. I find it extremely hard to believe that every 922 you have gotten has all those problems. They have proper ventiliation, right?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I have PM'd DIRT and they tell me the same thing. I like DIRT, so I didn't push the issue with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)