How much longer will you be with Dish?

wassupTC

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Given the lack of substantive National HD channels and the elimination of Voom; how much longer will you be with Dish?

Voom has nothing to do with this for me but..

Probably February. That will likely bring a big price increase (given I'm HD absolute) that may push me to DirecTV or even TWC if they make a few additions.

I really don't think there has been a good HD add (at least for me) since May, despite all the new launches and improved programming on my nets. The August channels stunk for me as I'm not a premium subscriber. In fact I hated the move as it clogged up tons of bandwidth for the benefit of the few.

I was pissed at Dish when they added all those premiums and an far and away more pissed today. They don't understand what their customers want.

I am not concerned about national hd.I am very concerned about out locals in hd! So far only 1 local is in hd.I will give them until the end of the year to get the other 3 they promised! Dish has screwed up my account so many times,along with not carrying the locals in hd.I have given them enough chances to show they care about their customers.
Twice,I went to cancel and twice they gave me free programming to stay.Well,that will not work any more!

I upgraded to Dish HD Absolute in May, which would leave 17 months left on my current 2 year contract. I'm stuck with E* until then (unless something happens which forces me to pay a penalty to get out early).

Currently, I have a fairly negative attitude towards E* based on the company's inability to add a good number of key national HD channels. This appears to be more of a long term problem rather than anything remotely temporary. "Soon," in this context could be anywhere from several months to several years...or never.

The negative attitude is even more emboldened by the fact E* has dropped the ball at every single opportunity on lighting up the HD local channels in my DMA. Every target date has been missed.

17 months is a good way off in the future. Things may be quite a bit different with E* by then. But I will be looking at offerings of other competing cable/satellite services then. If D* or someone else just keeps continuing to plow ahead adding ever more channels while E* stays stuck where it is, I may be willing to pay the penalty to drop out of my contract early and choose another service provider. If, out of nowhere, D* suddenly beats E* to the punch on offering HD locals to my market, it will make leaving E* even more inviting.

Given the lack of substantive National HD channels and the elimination of Voom; how much longer will you be with Dish?

Will be here until someone else can beat their prices for HD-only pkg.. at roughly $1/month/channel with HD DVR ($45/mo total) no one else even comes close.

At least until February when AT&T starts selling Direct. I'll see what they can offer me in a bundle.

U-Verse is about to come to my town, so I might see what they offer with it, too.

I have dish HD absolute. I'm OK with the amount of national HD channels. I will most likely switch to D* late next year. I'm holding out for the D* tuner for media center. That probably will come with Windows 7 late next year. If I could have my over the air HD, satellite channels, blue ray movies, and podcasts all played from the same interface, I'll be a happy guy. Then I can simply add an extender to other TV's or possibly just another PC.

After the NHL season is over, I'm going to take a real good look at *D if things aren't any better by then. I actually could save about $25 for about the same programming with *D, I just have to wait until my commitment is over.

Not going anywhere. I have the HD Absolute package, and all the premiums in HD. All for about $65 a month. I'm not a big enough sports fan to want to shell out $500 for NFL Football. DIRECTV can keep that, they can even take the NHL and NBA if they want. If you want sports, DIRECTV is your thing, if you don't want bandwidth clogged up with a bunch of games you'll never watch, you're fine right here, or cable if E* isn't your thing.

I'm content, got my locals and enough nationals, VOOM was no biggie for me. For me it is still dual tuner DVR serving two rooms is reason enough for now.

Other than a few glitches during my equipment upgrade I am happy with Dish so I will be sticking around for a little while longer... CC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts