How much more signal does a larger dish really give?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I tried a 120 cm over a 75cm and got about 3dB more signal on Anik G1, but still not enough to actually receive a channel. So, if I were to get. 6 foot dish, would Anik G1 come in or would it just give me 1dB more, which would be no good because it seems that Shaw receiver needs to have 2dB to tune a channel. Right now all the G1 transponders are at 0dB to-4

I tried a 120 cm over a 75cm and got about 3dB more signal on Anik G1, but still not enough to actually receive a channel. So, if I were to get. 6 foot dish, would Anik G1 come in or would it just give me 1dB more, which would be no good because it seems that Shaw receiver needs to have 2dB to tune a channel. Right now all the G1 transponders are at 0dB to-4

A 1.2 meter (4 foot) solid offset dish typically has a gain of 43 dB, and a 1.8 meter (6 foot) typically has a gain of 46 dB. With an increase of around 3 dB, the reflected signal power is effectively doubled. Upgrading from a 1.2 meter to a 1.8 meter dish will give you twice as much signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)