How much would you be willing to pay for a Conical Scalar Ring?

How much would you be willing to pay for a Conical Scalar Ring?.

• $100 or less

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • $80 or less

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • $60 or less

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • $40 or less

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • $20 or less

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

qwert1515

SatelliteGuys TheList
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Los Angeles CA
Conical scalar rings are used on large offset dishes (1.2 Meters and up) so that C-Band LNBs see only the dish and not the surroundings, this reduces noise and greatly improves reception of C-Band signals.

Currently in the US, it is very hard if not impossible to buy conical scalar rings.

For a company in the US to sell/make this item there needs to be enough demand to make profit so that they can break even and make a profit on the manufacturing equipment.

So the question is, how many people want conical scaler rings, how much do you think one is worth and how much are you willing to pay for one?

Thanks.

How much do they sell for overseas? :confused:

I don't know what's involved in making a scalar ring, is it like a cband ring just conical in shape? If so it shouldn't be THAT expensive to make. :confused:

This is an image of one from Sadoun.
Here are more images from a previous thread: Looking for a conical scalar ring for c-band

I think I remember one member here saying that you can get the scaler ring for $50 and $110 for a C-Band LNB with a built in scaler ring overseas before shipping.

Attachments

• conical-scalar-ring.jpg
    conical-scalar-ring.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 4 rings.JPG
    4 rings.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Pict0037.JPG
    Pict0037.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 250
  • new cone.JPG
    new cone.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 267
I don't have a need for one (nor do I foresee a need for one given how many BUDs I have), but I voted anyhow, cuz if they were at my price point, I'd probably acquire one anyhow just "incase"

I don't have a need for one (nor do I foresee a need for one given how many BUDs I have), but I voted anyhow, cuz if they were at my price point, I'd probably acquire one anyhow just "incase"

I echo this, :up thats why i voted cheap price. :eek: too many buds here :) just trying to collect my fair share :D

history

Here's where there was some good discussion of Conical Scaler Rings in the past.
Do also take the link I give in that thread, for more comments.

I've also recently PM'd SatAV on the subject, but since that was a private communication, I can't really repeat what he said.
Suffice it to say, the market looks pretty small.
So, to get these importers off their ... hands ... , I think we need to show what the market interest is.

I voted cheap, because I think the cost (even with a big markup), still shouldn't be very pricey.
See threads above for why I say/think that.

I have plans to get a 6' dish early next year, so I will certainly be getting one scaler, as a minimum.
If I can't get one cheap, I'll be running the flat scaler for some early C-band tests!

Oh, and I do have a buddy who could turn me one, but the cost of the block of aluminum might exceed $20, not to mention the turning labor.
So, the right way to make these is to have 'em cast, or however the flat ones are made.

edit:
now that ya got me thinking about 'em again, I'm hot under the collar!
I bet I could make one out of some brass sheet, a torch, and some solder!
If we can't get someone to build/import them for us, maybe we can come up with a DIY project...?
Calling all AutoCAD experts ! :)
!

Last edited:
We really need one good performing scalar to model off of. I can sorta guess at how it should be designed, but I'd rather see precise measurements from a confirmed "good" working scalar used to manufacture one. We have dozens of drafters and mechanical engineers at work, and a decent fab shop.. maybe something could be done with them "on the side" here, but I'm betting these guys here have enough real work to keep the busy for another couple years, so I'm not counting on that.
Even so, if we had the measurements, hopefully someone could make some connections with the right equipment to make this happen.

Now, I'm all for experimenting in this wonderful hobby but I'd have to see some performance data before I bought one of this things. It seems to me that cutting apart a regular scalar ring and making it cone shape doesn't necessary make for better reception. If the ring size and offsets aren't calculated properly based on wavelength and the new unit isn't properly electrically assembled, the electomagnetic flow into the feedhorn could be unbalanced and reduce reception. Also, I believe a fixed-distance feedhorn would have to be part of the assembly to ensure proper funneling of the signal to the antenna. I think that if someone really wants to tweak their dish for the maximum possible signal reception, using a corrugated conical feedhorn would be the way to go. It's already proven, on the market and certainly would be fun to play with. The downside is the dollar amount. But that's the good thing about this hobby, you can still get a darn good picture without spending very much money and have lots of fun too.

I voted for $60 or less, but would probably pay more, just to see what it would improve? If they are $40 or less, I'll probably get more than one....

Al

archives

Couple of years ago, when the first cheap LNBFs came to market from DMSI (?), there were threads on this forum discussing 4-foot (offset) C-band reception.
If you check back, I think it was Scott who posted pictures of the first LNBFs commonly available.
Might have been ASC4xx series, I don't remember for sure, but they pre-dated the current BSC621 dual/band units.

Anyway, there was a member who actually made some custom conical scalers for test.
A little search into the archives might come up with most of the answers to size and shape, as well as performance.
No need to re-invent the wheel... maybe just optimize it a little. :cool:

This one just keeps on running... :)

brotherhood, the conical scalar I use for my Fortec 1.2M dish still works beautifully and analogue C-band is still some of my favourite programming - beats the standard SD quality from any Dish/DTV channel hands down.

Maybe we need to get someone with such a good scaler to make a silicon rubber mold of it.
Then, we can make some plaster molds...
... and possibly invoke the lost-wax casting technique...
. . . then clone it!

I'll ask some friends what metal (other than lead) we could easily cast.

note: no smiley-faces in this post!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)