Recommendation for Ku Band Moveable System

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

swhisenh

Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I'm just getting started with satellite TV and have no equipment. I'm considering a Ku band system, initially for subscription service on the X4 satellite and would like to later expand with a moveable antenna and an additional receiver for FTA broadcasts. I was thinking about going with a 100 cm offset feed dish such as a Channel Master or somthing similar. We live in North Texas and often have high winds and I am concerned about using a DiSEqC/USALS/STAB type motor for various reasons, including durability in the presence of high winds, motor "play" for a Ku system, and positioning speed due to the limited current supplied through the coax to the motor. I have seen advertisements for positioning systems that are simiilar to those used on larger C band dishes in the UK (Satellite. Motorised satellite dishes heavy duty types from Andrews Channel Master. 90cm to 1.8m motorised dishes. Low prices) but have not yet seen these available from dealers in the US other than this one (H180:  Moteck HH Mount Motor for 180cm (6ft) C-Band prime focus dishes). I understand that I would either need a receiver that was capable of interfacing to a standard C-band style motor, or an outboard positioner to convert DiSEqC to a 36 volt type motor. I was wondering if anyone has found a dealer in the US that carries a heavy-duty motor that will mount to a 100 cm offset dish, or if anyone could recommend a good system that is accurate for Ku band positioning and durable enough to withstand North Texas weather. Thanks for your help, Steve

as I understand . . .

Most any regular FTA receiver can send diseqc positioning commands and these Vbox converters will move your HH180 or linear actuator the proper location.
You won't get the same capability as if you had USALS commands on the little HH motors, but once you're set up, you can hit the birds.

I'll look for the picture one member posted.
It might appeal to you.
It's a 1m dish low on the ground, with a linear actuator on it.
Not something you usually see.
Regardless how you go, the idea of putting it right down on the ground, could protect it somewhat from the wind, especially if you had it near a fence or building. (?)

... or, we could find you a surplus radome...
... or a plastic bubble... :cool:

edit:
let me refer you to this thread, as I think it deals with pretty much the same problem.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/96075-actuator-arm-1-2m-dish.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)