How terrible is the National League?

Sandra,

IIRC, your Yankees looked awful heading into the 2000 playoffs before they got their act together. Ditto the 2006 Cardinals.

Other sports, too- In 1998-99, my Sabres were a very average team that finished 7th in the East, yet made it to the Cup Finals with Hasek and 20 guys named Moe.

So true, Sabres.

And don't forget the 1998 Rangers, who lost so many games during the regular season, and yet didn't lose even one game in the playoffs. ;)

Same for the 1999 Rangers. And 2000. And 2001. And 2002. And 2003. And 2004.

You're going to have a hard time convincing a Ranger fan that your regular season record means nothing come playoff time. Playoffs are guaranteed for nobody...not even the Yankees.

Sandra

So true, Sabres.

And don't forget the 1998 Rangers, who lost so many games during the regular season, and yet didn't lose even one game in the playoffs. ;)

You're going to have a hard time convincing a Ranger fan that your regular season record means nothing come playoff time. Playoffs are guaranteed for nobody...not even the Yankees.

Sandra

I really missed you and I am curious as to why you weren't around for about a week.

Did you run another marathon/triathlon?

So true, Sabres.

Sandra

I keep thinking 1999 Rams :D

I think the opposite is true: AL teams have the advantage during interleague. Playing in AL parks, there is a DH -- and AL teams are already going to be prepared for that, ahving a player on their roster (or players, in the case of a platoon) specifically there for their offensive prowess only. NL teams OTOH generaly resort to someone who there have on the roster for pinch hitting duties who is unlikely to be as good as a regular AL DH.

Meanwhile, in NL parks, you end up having AL pitchers hit, yes, but pitchers can't hit much anyway. The difference offensively between an NL pitcher and an NL pitcher is unlikely to be much of anything -- they are likely to be an out no matter what.

your points are well taken, however, I respectfully disagree. In NL ballparks, AL teams have to lose one of their best sluggers due to the fact that many DH's are too old, big, slow, etc. to play a position. NL pitchers are used to hitting on a regular basis and some have done very well (Carlos Zambrano comes to mind). In addition, NL teams get to rest some of their best hitters in AL parks by putting them in at the DH spot and letting a better fielder play a position in the field (They lose nothing offensively and gain defensively). NL managers don't have to worry as much about their bullpen, double switches, now that they don't have to remove their pitchers from the lineup since he doesn't bat.

your points are well taken, however, I respectfully disagree.

Fair enough.

In NL ballparks, AL teams have to lose one of their best sluggers due to the fact that many DH's are too old, big, slow, etc. to play a position.

How is this an advantage to the NL? For starters, it's possible that the AL team can shift the slugger to a position (like 1B or LF) and still retain that bat. And even if they cannot do so and have to bench that player, all that does is level the playing field -- not give the NL an advantage. NL teams have 8 positions players that they play regularly. AL teams have 8 position players and one extra great hitter. In NL parks, both teams have just the 8 hitters -- that's not an advantage for the NL but simply erasing the advantage that AL teams have.

NL pitchers are used to hitting on a regular basis and some have done very well (Carlos Zambrano comes to mind).

It's a fair point, but I don't think it's much of an advantage. All pitchers suck as hitters and the fluctuations are likely due as much to natural talent as due to practice. Also, with ptichers constantly going between leagues nowadays, the amount of experience a particular pitcher might have at hitting is variable anyway.

In addition, NL teams get to rest some of their best hitters in AL parks by putting them in at the DH spot and letting a better fielder play a position in the field (They lose nothing offensively and gain defensively).

Again, how is this an advantage to the NL compared to AL teams? AL teams get to have this opportunity to rest hitters all year long. If anything, the ability to do so is yet another advantage the AL has over NL teams.

NL managers don't have to worry as much about their bullpen, double switches, now that they don't have to remove their pitchers from the lineup since he doesn't bat.

And again, how is this an advantage for the NL? AL teams never have to worry about those things.

The only (minute) advantage that the NKL has is that their pitchers are "used" to hitting. I don't think that is much, especially compare to the AL's massive advantage of actually having a full time DH on the roster, not just some guy that normally is a pinch hitter.

Fair enough.

How is this an advantage to the NL? For starters, it's possible that the AL team can shift the slugger to a position (like 1B or LF) and still retain that bat. And even if they cannot do so and have to bench that player, all that does is level the playing field -- not give the NL an advantage. NL teams have 8 positions players that they play regularly. AL teams have 8 position players and one extra great hitter. In NL parks, both teams have just the 8 hitters -- that's not an advantage for the NL but simply erasing the advantage that AL teams have.

It's a fair point, but I don't think it's much of an advantage. All pitchers suck as hitters and the fluctuations are likely due as much to natural talent as due to practice. Also, with ptichers constantly going between leagues nowadays, the amount of experience a particular pitcher might have at hitting is variable anyway.

Again, how is this an advantage to the NL compared to AL teams? AL teams get to have this opportunity to rest hitters all year long. If anything, the ability to do so is yet another advantage the AL has over NL teams.

And again, how is this an advantage for the NL? AL teams never have to worry about those things.

The only (minute) advantage that the NKL has is that their pitchers are "used" to hitting. I don't think that is much, especially compare to the AL's massive advantage of actually having a full time DH on the roster, not just some guy that normally is a pinch hitter.

The NL teams set up their teams so as to have their best hitters somewhere in the field. AL teams have their best hitters usually in the DH spot. I am saying that during interleague play, the NL teams are better suited for these matchups due to the differences in each league. Most AL teams don't get to rest their players by putting them in the DH spot, because their best hitter is usually already there, so when they rest a player, they usually lose that player offensively as well. There are also currently 9 starting pitchers that have an average over .250 (8 over .260, 3 over .300). Around twenty that have an average over .200. (I did not include players with less than 15 at bats). How many AL pitchers hit .200 during interleague play? Although slim, it is still an advantage.

The NL teams set up their teams so as to have their best hitters somewhere in the field. AL teams have their best hitters usually in the DH spot.

But this is the case because the NL team doesn't have the DH spot.

An AL team can easily have just as good of an offensive 8 position players and then -- on top of that -- have a great hitting DH. There's no intrinsic reason why the 8 fielders of an AL team would be worse offensively than the 8 fielders of an NL team.

You've offered no compelling reason to assume that an AL team minus their DH should be worse offensively than a regular NL lineup.

Meanwhile, I point out again: in AL parks, the AL teams get to play an actual DH in the DH spot -- someone who is paid to smack the ball around and on the roster already. While NL teams have to play some guy who otherwise would be sitting on the bench.

I am saying that during interleague play, the NL teams are better suited for these matchups due to the differences in each league.

I don't see it. I see a massive advantage for AL teams in AL parks (having an actual DH for the DH spot). And a small advantage for NL teams in NL parks (having ptichers who have more experience hitting).

Most AL teams don't get to rest their players by putting them in the DH spot, because their best hitter is usually already there, so when they rest a player, they usually lose that player offensively as well.

I don't really get your logic. If the NL benefits from being able to "rest" a player in the DH spot, then the AL gets that advantage all year long -- because they have a player who always is in the DH spot. By this logic, David Ortiz is already well rested throughout the year, something that Albert Pujols cannot say.

Also, keep in mind regarding pitchings hitting... they only generally hit duringt he first part of the game. Later int he game, we are going to see pinch hitters in that spot. While the AL's DH advantage lasts the entire game in AL parks. Furthermore, when resorting to pinch hitters in NL parks, the AL teams now have a great hitter (in the benched DH) on the bench to hit which the NL team does not (or the AL team has the regular who is benched to allow the DH to play 1B or LF or whatever).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts