How to connect Ipod to AV Receiver digitally

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
I want to connect my Ipod to receiver digitally, not using RCA cables, and I prefer Optical. Is there such way to do this?

ty

what about getting a sound card with optical out and running an optical cord to the receiver, thereby eliminating the ipod. I could just store the songs on the HD.

sound good?

Your best option would be to get a sound card with optical out and just store the MP3's on your hard drive. Not to sure that you would get any better sound from your MP3's via optical over RCA connections.

Have you looked at devices that allow you to use your network to stream the music to your AV receiver?

Your best option would be to get a sound card with optical out and just store the MP3's on your hard drive. Not to sure that you would get any better sound from your MP3's via optical over RCA connections.

Have you looked at devices that allow you to use your network to stream the music to your AV receiver?

the RCA connections seem to be not as loud. And with the optical i could get 5.1 or 7.1 vs not with the rca correct?
it is possible to do wirelessly the underlined and still keep digital?

the RCA connections seem to be not as loud. And with the optical i could get 5.1 or 7.1 vs not with the rca correct?
it is possible to do wirelessly the underlined and still keep digital?

The Apple TV has 5.1 pass-through. Just curious how many MP3's even support 5.1 or 7.1 audio, or can they even support it via the MP3 formats?

Madtown, Is your 360 connected to the audio receiver that you are wanting to use? If it is why not just use it for your audio playback. I converted all my iTunes to MP3's so I could play them through the 360.

i am actually trying to figure it out for my friend. he does not have a 360. I think the sound card with optical out might be the best route. he can just run a long optical cable to his receiver thereby eliminating the ipod.

i use my 360 and it does work well for the playback. thanks for your help
I like the dog.

But the main thing here that is being missed is that very very few songs are recorded in 5.1/7.1. So there is no point in doing this. You can just have the 2 channel input and have the AV receiver duplicate to the other speakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)