How to connect motor and 2 receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjmaster

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Thinking about going motorized with a Winegard 76cm, Sg2100 motor and Invacom QPH 031 quad linear/circular LNB. Also 2 disq switches.

Here is the setup i am guessing at:

Rcvr1 -> Motor -> disq1 -> LNB1 Linear, LNB1 Circular

Rcvr2 -> disq2 -> LNB2 Linear, LNB2 Circular

Couple of questions:

1) Is this a nice choice of equipment? I mean do these parts all "fit" and work together nicely?

2) How to setup? Is one reciver master? Which one controls the motor? My above setup is assumptions from reading.

3) I guess the receivers are not completely independent in what they can watch with this setup. Can Rcvr 2 see all transponders on the current dish that it is pointed at? It's not limited to the same transponder is it?

4) So how would Rcvr2 know which sat you are pointed at if Rcvr1 controls motor??

5) Is there some way to allow Rcvr2 to control the motor if Rcvr 1 is off?

6) Is there some sort of DC blocking splitters needed?

Alternative setup suggestions are welcome.
Help clarifying my confusion would be appreciated. :)

1) Is this a nice choice of equipment? I mean do these parts all "fit" and work together nicely?
You didn’t list receivers but the rest looks good. Same thing I do

2) How to setup? Is one reciver master? Which one controls the motor? My above setup is assumptions from reading.
The way you have it set up, receiver 1 controls the motor

3) I guess the receivers are not completely independent in what they can watch with this setup. Can Rcvr 2 see all transponders on the current dish that it is pointed at? It's not limited to the same transponder is it?
Receiver 2 can get the same satellite as rec 1 is aimed at but it can see all channels (you’re not limited to one polarity)

4) So how would Rcvr2 know which sat you are pointed at if Rcvr1 controls motor??
It doesn’t. Receiver 1 controls the motor…rec 2 is “just along for the ride”

5) Is there some way to allow Rcvr2 to control the motor if Rcvr 1 is off?
Not really in your setup. There is another way but then you are limited to same polarity as main unit

6) Is there some sort of DC blocking splitters needed?
Nope. The Invacom quad has 4 ouputs so its fine. No DC blocks needed

by the way...I have 2 recievers set up the exact same way

-main unit controls everything
-second unit is mainly for blind scanning a satellite

My answers....
1) Yes and Yes, however, you might want to get a bigger dish. That one works, but bigger is better!
2) Your set-up above looks good, in it the 1st receiver will control motor and each receiver will control themselves, your assumptions look good.
3) Both receivers will be able to watch any TP independantly from the same sat.
4) The second receiver will be programmed independantly for the channels on each sat with the USALS/DISEQC option in the "Off" position. You would "Enter" the 2nd receiver for whatever sat the main receiver is on.
5) That's something I wouldn't try, but some have. I'll let them elaborate on that. But me, I wouldn't try it myself.
6) Not with the set-up you suggest.

Al

Edit: Geeeez, either I'm very very very very slow..... I know that's right, or the Iceberg is very fast....

Last edited:
I think iceberg was very very fast. :D

Thank you both for your replies.

voomvoom, I didn't quite get what you meant by this comment, can you elaborate clarify?

"4) The second receiver will be programmed independantly for the channels on each sat with the USALS/DISEQC option in the "Off" position. You would "Enter" the 2nd receiver for whatever sat the main receiver is on."

What do you mean by "Enter" the 2nd receiver?
How do you switch between sats on Rcvr2?

What is the alternative setup where BOTH receivers can control the motor?

Is it a daisy chain from Rcvr1 to Rcvr2? Or is this a third possible setup?

This is really interesting stuff! :eureka:

Yes you can “daisy chain” the receivers. Use the “loop out” feature on the mian unit and hook the second one up.

Pro-both could control the motor. If the main one is on, that controls it. The “slave” would only control it if the main one is off

Con-The 2nd receiver is limited to same polarity as main unit (V or H). In your original example, you could have each unit on a different polarity

Sorry, been out in the yard, enjoying some much needed rain...

jjmaster said:
voomvoom, I didn't quite get what you meant by this comment, can you elaborate clarify?

"4) The second receiver will be programmed independantly for the channels on each sat with the USALS/DISEQC option in the "Off" position. You would "Enter" the 2nd receiver for whatever sat the main receiver is on."

What do you mean by "Enter" the 2nd receiver?
How do you switch between sats on Rcvr2?
Well, how to explain this? With my Pansat, in "Menu" - "Installation" - "Password" - "Antenna Setup" - "Satellite you're on" - "Positioner Setting", here is where you find USALS, 1.2 (Diseqc), Disable (Off). Here on the 2nd receiver, you would have every satellite set to Off or Disable. Then, when you press the SAT button on the remote (at least on the Pansat it's called SAT) and it shows the list of satellites, with the one your 2nd receiver is programmed (currently to) on is highlighted. You arrow to the satellite your main receiver is on (moved to) to highlight it and press "Enter". With the Pansat you would then have to arrow to a highlighted channel and press "Enter" for the channel you want on that sat before it will change. Other receivers (maybe yours) would just automatically go to the last channel watched on that sat. Or you could just arrow the channel up or down to you find what you're looking for. Or you can enter the channel number and press "Enter" to get to it. Hope this explains it a little and not confuse you anymore than I already have. Sorry..... Once you get your equipment it will become all natural. And hopefully you will be able to explain things better than me.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.