How to exit from Netflix or Vudu with PS3?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
One of my main complaints with the PS3 when I launch the Netflix or Vudu application, is I can't get back to the main GUI to do other things. I have to get up and go to the PS3 to power it down, then back up again.

Note that I control the PS3 with an IR remote control adapter. In addition, there is no way on this to power on or off the PS3 from the IR remote.

What do you all do to exit out of these aps in the PS3 to get back to the main GUI?

This problem may happen with other aps too but these are the ones I have trouble with right now. I don't understand why the ap developers don't put a button in the main page to exit the ap.

Doesn't exist on the IR remote control only on the game controller. If I was in the Game mode, I'd be using the game controller but when in media mode, I use the IR remote control. There is nothing on the remote keyboard either.

Don Landis said:
Doesn't exist on the IR remote control only on the game controller. If I was in the Game mode, I'd be using the game controller but when in media mode, I use the IR remote control. There is nothing on the remote keyboard either.

Don,

You must not be using an official PS3 remote. Both the different ones I have (bluetooth and IR) come with a PS button. My only recommendation would be to have the regular controller nearby so you have access to the PS button.

IR remotes cannot turn on the PS3 because it does not support IR natively, you have to have an IR dongle plugged into a USB port (and those are only powered when the unit is on). The only solution to this would be to buy the PS3 Bluetooth remote. Just like the controllers, it can be used to turn on the PS3 from a distance.

Thanks for the suggestions. The IR remote is as you said, a 3rd party with plugin dongle. The brand is Nyko. I don't use the remote itself but have it's signals programmed into my Home Theater Master MX-800. It is not BT capable. Powering down is not a problem since I have the PS3 powered from a power strip with a 12vdc trigger relay which is powered from my Denon receiver. Keeping the game controller handy has been the only solution to turn on and I'll just have to use it to exit out of Netflix as well. I may set the PS3 power to be controlled by a separate X10 module that I use for lighting. I can add an appliance module and then program that into an IR power on / off control.

I did say I was using an IR remote.
Note that I control the PS3 with an IR remote control adapter.
What PS3 IR ( official) remote are you talking about? So I won't be able to power the PS3 on but an IR should be able to power the PS3 off and more importantly an IR button to exit out of the application. I'll keep looking.

This is one I did find that does Power on and off plus all 52 PS3 controls. HDTV-PS3IRX1 $149.95 A bit expensive. The way this device works is it is an IR remote control with a box that translates IR signals to the PS3 Blue tooth full command set.

Last edited:
Don Landis said:
I did say I was using an IR remote. What PS3 IR ( official) remote are you talking about? So I won't be able to power the PS3 on but an IR should be able to power the PS3 off and more importantly an IR button to exit out of the application. I'll keep looking.

This is one I did find that does Power on and off plus all 52 PS3 controls. HDTV-PS3IRX1 $149.95 A bit expensive. The way this device works is it is an IR remote control with a box that translates IR signals to the PS3 Blue tooth full command set.

I need to look around for it. I programmer my harmony to duplicate it's buttons and stored it somewhere. I'll update once I find it.

Also, there is no official IR remote for PS3. The only official one is the Bluetooth remote from Sony. I would get that for $25 before getting the one you found for $150.

Once again, I can't use the BT Sony remote because it only outputs BT! ( Am I looking at the wrong one?) I need to use IR so my home theater master IR ONLY remote can access the PS3.

The Pro IR to BT translator is good because it has lots of features. The downside is it costs $149. There are $60 equivalents but they require additional purchases like a Harmony remote control for the setup. Once everything is working with the Harmony, you can have the Home theater master remote learn the IR codes. There are several lower cost translators on the market and all these will operate the discrete power buttons as well as the disk eject button too.

Also, the Pro unit I referenced has RS-232 control input to operate from a Creston system as well so it has value to a high end home theater controller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)