How to get a Genie2 HS17

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not sure if it's changed, but early reports were 7 streams of hd, 2 of which can be 4k.

Not sure if it's changed, but early reports were 7 streams of hd, 2 of which can be 4k.
They really shouldn't say anything about 7 with the new HS17.
People tend to think that means they have gained 2 more tuners and thats just NOT the way it is.
You still only have 5 usable tuners.
They have dedicated the other 2 to link with 4k, from what I can tell, those other 2 only come into play when 4k is being used from the Sat.

I'd switch with ya if I could. I'm calling Directv Tuesday see if I can switch back to the HR44 that I had. This Genie isn't ready for primetime yet.

I have had a HS-17 for three months and have not had any problems with it. It replaced a HR-54. All of my clients are wired.

I have had a HS-17 for three months and have not had any problems with it. It replaced a HR-54. All of my clients are wired.
Mine are wired to. You don't have a 5 second wait in between channel changing with a black screen? When I hold the channel changing toggle switch the screen goes black and you can't see what channel your on. When you press the - button on the remote it takes 15 seconds for the bar to come up on the bottom of the screen. Another thing they didn't tell me was, if you get a genie 2 it needs a mini to to go with it. I wanted 2 extra mini"s to go with my wifes 1 mini, 3 total, didn't realize I would end up with 4.

They really shouldn't say anything about 7 with the new HS17.
People tend to think that means they have gained 2 more tuners and thats just NOT the way it is.
You still only have 5 usable tuners.
They have dedicated the other 2 to link with 4k, from what I can tell, those other 2 only come into play when 4k is being used from the Sat.
Other way around. The HR54 has 7 tuners of which 2 are for 4K and 5 useable. The HS17 can support 7 full usable tuners

Mine are wired to. You don't have a 5 second wait in between channel changing with a black screen? When I hold the channel changing toggle switch the screen goes black and you can't see what channel your on. When you press the - button on the remote it takes 15 seconds for the bar to come up on the bottom of the screen. Another thing they didn't tell me was, if you get a genie 2 it needs a mini to to go with it. I wanted 2 extra mini"s to go with my wifes 1 mini, 3 total, didn't realize I would end up with 4.

It does take a few seconds for the screen to come up when changing channels, but I don’t have the other two delays you describe. If I press the pause button or fast forward the bar at the bottom comes up immediately.

Other way around. The HR54 has 7 tuners of which 2 are for 4K and 5 useable. The HS17 can support 7 full usable tuners
Really ?
So the HS17 has added 2 addl. tuners that are NOT tied to 4k ?

I was unaware of that, I was thinking the 54 and 17 were set up the same.

Really ?
So the HS17 has added 2 addl. tuners that are NOT tied to 4k ?

I was unaware of that, I was thinking the 54 and 17 were set up the same.
Yeh you basically always have full access to the 7 tuners on the HS. Two of which can be 4K. It has 11 total channels

Reactions: Jimbo
Still not enough to make people have to go strictly to clients.
Eh. If it wasn’t for the contract extension I would swap my 54 for a 17. And my hr24 and h25 with clients and have zero issues with 5 clients then I think it was determined 95% of there customer base could have just clients and be all set

Eh. If it wasn’t for the contract extension I would swap my 54 for a 17. And my hr24 and h25 with clients and have zero issues with 5 clients then I think it was determined 95% of there customer base could have just clients and be all set
I'm in the 5%, due to them only allowing 1 genie per account ...
If they continue to keep things the way they are, they will lose ALL the RV'ers as well as All the people that have thier service at thier vacation homes and cottages as well.

I'm not trying to minimize the inconvenience this may present to some, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that 5% is a gross overestimate of the percentage of customers effected.

I'm in the 5%, due to them only allowing 1 genie per account ...
If they continue to keep things the way they are, they will lose ALL the RV'ers as well as All the people that have thier service at thier vacation homes and cottages as well.
All the people who are actually breaking the terms of service by having receivers on one account in more than one location?

All the people who are actually breaking the terms of service by having receivers on one account in more than one location?
NO, not at all ....
In both suituations it was discussed with D* and was told it was fine to have one at the Cottage as well as one in the RV.

So No, not breaking rules.

NO, not at all ....
In both suituations it was discussed with D* and was told it was fine to have one at the Cottage as well as one in the RV.

So No, not breaking rules.
Sorry, you are comparing apples with oranges. The DirecTV terms of service require all receivers on one account to be in one location. At some point someone realized that putting a receiver in a second location (e.g. an RV) was technically OK provided that service was only being received in one location at any one time. So people with multiple receivers started to leave one of them in the RV. This is the situation you are talking about. With the new servers, you can still move your server to the RV but of course you will lose service at home.....which is no different from the original intent.

Sorry, you are comparing apples with oranges. The DirecTV terms of service require all receivers on one account to be in one location. At some point someone realized that putting a receiver in a second location (e.g. an RV) was technically OK provided that service was only being received in one location at any one time. So people with multiple receivers started to leave one of them in the RV. This is the situation you are talking about. With the new servers, you can still move your server to the RV but of course you will lose service at home.....which is no different from the original intent.
That would be great IF they would allow you more than one on an account ....
Again, NOT gonna remove system every weekend if I want to go camping or up to the cottage .... to expect that is ridiculous.

More than likely, thats part of the reason they decided it was OK to have them in more than one location.

That would be great IF they would allow you more than one on an account ....
Again, NOT gonna remove system every weekend if I want to go camping or up to the cottage .... to expect that is ridiculous.

More than likely, thats part of the reason they decided it was OK to have them in more than one location.
Sorry, that's what people with one receiver always had to do. Going to a central server just enforces the terms of service.

Sorry, that's what people with one receiver always had to do. Going to a central server just enforces the terms of service.
And I think another advantageous reason for DIRECTV enforcing the original TOS with the HS17 with clients only on an account is it prevents "account receiver stacking" fraud.

Though I still believe they're going to have to come up with some solution for the RV/tailgating/vacation home, situations as the HS17 installs become more widespread.

And I think another advantageous reason for DIRECTV enforcing the original TOS with the HS17 with clients only on an account is it prevents "account receiver stacking" fraud.

Though I still believe they're going to have to come up with some solution for the RV/tailgating/vacation home, situations as the HS17 installs become more widespread.
Absolutely. All that the HS17 does is return the situation to how it used to be, and close the multiple location loophole.
But you are correct, DirecTV will have to come up with a proper policy for RVs. HS17s won't even work with a round dish (using an SWM multiswitch) now that they have removed the dish selection option.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)