How to get OTA with a dp44?

pabisc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
monroe, ga
I am thinking about getting a 622 receiver to replace 2 811's that I currently have. My set up now has 2 tv's and 1ota running from outside. The ota is powered by the satellite box and on the current connection outside it has a separate input for the ota. The question is how does dish hook up ota with a dp34 or dp44 when there is no ota port?

E* really does not have anything to do with an OTA antenna - you're pretty well on your own for OTA as far as E* is concerned, tho' an installer might be able to help you with that part as well for a price.

You will need to either remove the amplifier on the OTA antenna or give it alternate power somewhere in its cable. The OTA signal needs to run independently to the OTA input on the 622 and not through the switch (which does not pass an OTA signal). There are ways to diplex the OTA antenna signal into one of the coaxes that carry the sat. signals, but that is almost impossible when you also need to pass power for an antenna amplifier. There are also antenna amps that run off the same power as LNBs, but I don't have much information on them. You still can't send the OTA signal back through the switch tho' so that probably is not an option in your current system.

If you're going to have just the 622 you can probably eliminate the switch altogether so that facilitates some of those options for you.

There was another member here in a situation similar to yours. He purchased an in-line amplifer from Radio Shack (cat. # 15-1170 - $35) and just used the power insertor part and ac adapter in order to power his antenna amp from the 622's location and it worked very well for him, but I am not necessarily recommending that. He also used a separate cable from the OTA antenna to the 622. You would first need to verify that the power from that RS unit is the same as what your antenna amplifier needs, but you might be lucky!

Good luck with it and do report back...!

Last edited:
What is powering antenna?

I thought the amp. I was using that is mast mounted on my antenna was being powered by the boxes, am I wrong. Where is the power coming from?

there are many preamps on the market that are powered by the feed to the lnbf. You are correct. What switch do you have?

What exactly is the "satellite box" you mention - is that from an older voom system? Regardless, it apparently once handled and provided power to the OTA part of your system. The 622 and the switches you mentioned do not. The 622 has the OTA antenna input but as Van said it is unpowered, so you either need to provide alternate power for the mast-mounted amp or remove it altogether, which may work if you have strong enough local channels...

The preamp at the OTA uses the voltage that operates the lnbf You can connect the line from the reciever to a diplexor then antenna line connects to the OTA preamp. the sat line connects to the switch port.

Tks focusmold - I learn something new every day! Any idea what OTA amp that is? I know the voom system had something like that...

I believe Channel Master makes an OTA antenna pre-amp that is designed to be powered by the satellite box.

An OTA Pre-amp is a small amplifier that mounts on tour TV antenna to amplify the signal immediately after it is captured by the antenna. This helps boost weak singals for long cable runs and distribution. It is also used in fringe reception areas to pull in very weak signals that would be unusable otherwise. These pre-amps are powered by a power injector at the other end of the coaxial cable.

focusmold said:
Your diplexor has to be DC Pass on both ports. That is very important.

Here is the one you need from DishStore.
http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=201

DO NOT use that on or any other standard diplexor with input 1 on a DPP44.

The DPP44 can draw up to 2amps of current from it's power supply.If you put a diplexor between the DPP44 and the power inserter, it must be able to hanle the high current going through it.

ota

I currently have two 811 receivers and am using a mast mounted amp tha runs through a channel master diplexer.