How to get ready for Starchoice HD w/ 505

hockeymatrix

Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
:hungry: Newbie here....but don't hold it against me.

Well, I've gone & done it, bought a big flat screen.

But before it gets here, I'd like to know what problems I'm going to have with Starchoice HD, and prepare for all of my headaches now.

We've had good reliable service for the most part in SD.
I'm going to get the 505 receiver to get HD.

What kind of pains will I need to correct straight away if any?

Already, one of their agents tried to tell me that if I could find a 505A, it would be better than the 505. Something about firmware already in the box? Who knows?

I can get a 505A, but it'll take some driving to do it, like about 4 hours including the ferry.

I'm ready....shoot.

moved to the Canadian forum :)

welcome :wave

What dish do you currently have? If you have the dish with the quad LNB on it you're already set. Just remove the existing receiver and replace with the 505

I thought the only difference between the 505 & the 505a is the 505a is a refurbished unit but I could be wrong

I've got the elliptical dish with the quad LNB.

Thx for your reply.....& I didn't know you had a Cdn forum.

Apparently, another
SC agent just told me, the 505A is a little cheaper, if you can find one. But otherwise, the same technology.
Last night the SC agent said she was getting comments from customers about the A being better?

:cool:

Here's hoping for a smooth ride.

As long as the dish is peaked properly and that you get both 107.3 (main satellite) and 111.1 (the HD/French satellite) you're OK

To make sure you can see 111.1 got to channel 420 (if you subscribe) or 712 & 715. Those are all on F2 (111.1)

You will need a DVI to HDMI cable as the 505 is not HDMI capable. That is if you are not hooking them up through component cables.
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the 505A was a refurb.

You are right Iceberg...

The 505A's are refurb Voom 550 boxes with the OTA tuner removed, SC software and stickers. I have both 505 and 505A's, never had a problem with either. As far as firmware, within a few days, all boxes should dowload the latest F0 update (as long as you leave it off overnight).

Take Care

Satboyz:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)