How to go from a dual to a single reciever

mdc83

Original poster
May 23, 2011
North Carolina
i have a dual receiver in the bedroom tv2 is the living room tv. I want to put a single receiver in the living room. and have nothing on the tv2 on the dual. I know some wires need to be switched in order for a single to work in the living room but not sure what to switch or if i need another line run. I'm attaching a picture of what is off the satellite and the one on the bottom of the pic goes into the crawl space of the house i'm not sure what it does under there i havent crawled in there yet. One wire comes in the bedroom to the triplexer and one wire come out of the wall in the living room? Can anyone explain what i need to do to get the single box hooked up in the living room thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0164.JPG
    DSCF0164.JPG
    732.4 KB · Views: 189
hard to give you a direct answer but all try my best, assuming you have 2 wires pulled from the dish its pretty much a matter of disconnecting the TV2 feed from the home distribution port on your dual tuner, now the cable that was being used for TV2 will then connect to the second satellite cable and then that cable will be fed into your second receiver that will be replacing the TV2 feed (again this assuming you have a second cable pulled from the dish, hopefully that gives you the general idea

It's easy if there is a diplexor after that ground block ( picture ). If there is a diplexor simply disconnect the UHF/VHF connection and place it on the end with the red cap on it. Then you have a sat signal passing through to what is now your second room.
There isn't a second line running to the receiver. In the photo the top lines are running from the LNB. The bottom cable is going to either a diplexor or to a separator located behind the receiver.
Check in the crawl space, you should find the diplexor, it looks like a splitter.

You need to somehow connect what's protected by the red cap on the pictured grounding block to your living room SAT input.

Would the diplexor possibly be under the house? that one wire (bottom of pic) runs and is drilled through the brick somewhere under there is has to split because theres one wire that comes up in the bedroom that goes into a triplexor and says sat 1, sat2, and uhf/vhf all of which go into dual.
I just went and looked in the crawlspace (i didnt crawl in to actually read what was on the connector) there is a connector 1 wire on one side 2 coming out the other side. If this is the diplexor the wire isnt long enough to run back out the the ground block. this connector is under where the living room tv is and the ground block is a around behind the house. would my other option be to buy a strait connector connect to the wire that came off the uhf/vhf and run it back out to the ground block?

I have a hd satellitte looking up at it it has 2 lnb and a space then a third could another 3rd wire be run down? and connected in the red plug

You need only one cable for each receiver.

To do this optimally, you need a separator and two couplers.

Replace the crawlspace diplexer with a coupler and replace the triplexer with the separator.

Run a cable from the red-capped F connector to the living room cable that came off of the diplexer AIR output and use the second coupler to connect the two cables.

You need only one cable for each receiver.

To do this optimally, you need a separator and two couplers.

Replace the crawlspace diplexer with a coupler and replace the triplexer with the separator.

Run a cable from the red-capped F connector to the living room cable that came off of the diplexer AIR output and use the second coupler to connect the two cables.
safe yourself a headache down the road and get the three gig barrel couplers.

Ok let me ask this is i undo the UHF connection on the diplexor and add a coupler and and new cable run it out to the red cap connection that would then make the living room tv operate on the single reciver. And then i could run another cable from a smalltv i have in the kitchen thats never had anykind of tv service run to it and connect that cable to the uhf connection thats open and run that tv from the dual reciver??

Ok let me ask this is i undo the UHF connection on the diplexor and add a coupler and and new cable run it out to the red cap connection that would then make the living room tv operate on the single reciver. And then i could run another cable from a smalltv i have in the kitchen thats never had anykind of tv service run to it and connect that cable to the uhf connection thats open and run that tv from the dual reciver??
correct

Go under the house and you will see a diplexer(looks like a splitter), switch the in/out and the uhf/vhf cables. Move the box to the other room triplexer and all, now the bedroom will have TV2. If you only have 1 box on your account the monthly price is the same so why get a single box, If you have a mode button put the box in single mode.

The 2 cables in the picture are going to the dish and the single to to the diplexer, Its easier on installation to run the 2 cables with a ground to the dish even if you only have 1 box. The red cap is from the red diplexer under the house.

And then i could run another cable from a smalltv i have in the kitchen thats never had anykind of tv service run to it and connect that cable to the uhf connection thats open and run that tv from the dual reciver??
If that's what you had in mind, you should have said so in the first place. It isn't fair to keep secrets when you're asking for help.

Before you crawl around under the house and run a new cable, you need to make doubly sure that the remote will work reliably from the kitchen. Kitchen appliances (especially microwaves) often present problems not seen in other rooms.

Know that the home distribution output is exactly that. Any TV that you can run a cable to can be served by it and both tuners are available at all times.

Yes. You're on it. If you disconnect from UHF on the diplexor, and run a cable from the kitchen and connect onto UHF then you'll now have the kitchen as the tv2.
If you take the cable that runs into the bedroom off of UHF and connect to the red cap then you can put the 211 into the bedroom.
You can keep the triplexor connected whether you connect the kitchen tv or not. If you don't connect the kitchen then you don't HAVE to buy a separator. Triplexor will work just fine as is.

If that's what you had in mind, you should have said so in the first place. It isn't fair to keep secrets when you're asking for help.

Before you crawl around under the house and run a new cable, you need to make doubly sure that the remote will work reliably from the kitchen. Kitchen appliances (especially microwaves) often present problems not seen in other rooms.

Know that the home distribution output is exactly that. Any TV that you can run a cable to can be served by it and both tuners are available at all times.
The kitchen was actually an afterthought after i understood the wiring. Thanks for all the help guys!

I must ask which models you are using. If you are talking about, as I suspect, a ViP622/722/722K/922 and adding a ViP211 (as discussed), you will not be able to share EHDs. Adding a ViP612, no prob sharing. Something to think about.

I must ask which models you are using. If you are talking about, as I suspect, a ViP622/722/722K/922 and adding a ViP211 (as discussed), you will not be able to share EHDs. Adding a ViP612, no prob sharing. Something to think about.
I am adding a vip211, What are EHDs?? I'm new the satellites and the terminology.Basically i'm rewiring the living room to accept the single reciever and moving the line that goes from the dual to the kitchen from the living room tv.

mdc83 said:
I am adding a vip211, What are EHDs?? I'm new the satellites and the terminology.Basically i'm rewiring the living room to accept the single reciever and moving the line that goes from the dual to the kitchen from the living room tv.

MDC took it to a whole different level than what you wanted. An EHD is an External Hard Drive. You're able to hook up an EHD to a 211 and have DVR capability. It was never mentioned so I'm not sure where it came from.

With an EHD you can move recordings off your DVR so you have more space available. With, for example, two ViP722 DVRs you can record on one DVR, then move that recording to an EHD, then carry that EHD to the other DVR and watch it there. You cannot do this between a 722 & 211.

I brought this up because this feature may be important to you one day and you'll then wish you opted for fully compatible receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts