How to Measure Inclination and Declination see pics?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Where is the Right Location to Measure Inclination and Declination?
After ensuring my Dish is at it's highest point, re a compass or looking for 97.0W, since my Longitude is 97.05, When I'm measuring my Inclination and Declination on my 12 Foot Dish it seems to make up to 0.2 to 0.3 degrees difference depending on where the level is placed? That is, on my Dish, see pic # 1, when measuring Inclination if I put the Level on the Bottom of the Polar Mount, I see 50.3 see pic # 2, but on top of the Big Bar I see 50.2, see pic # 3.

Also this seems to change depending how high up or down on the Bar the level placement is. For Declination measurement if I place the level at the bottom of the Small Bar I read 56.8 see pic # 4, and if I place it in the middle of the Small Bar I read 57.0, see pic # 5. Is there a right and wrong location where to measure or place the Level or Inclometer when doing these measurements?? Any replies would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00751.JPG
    DSC00751.JPG
    650.6 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC00983.JPG
    DSC00983.JPG
    655.9 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC00982.JPG
    DSC00982.JPG
    664.1 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC00985.JPG
    DSC00985.JPG
    817 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC00980.JPG
    DSC00980.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 407
I have the same issues. The littlest rust or spray from the welds will mess things up.
I would go with Pic #3 and Pic #5.
Did you recheck the Mount for Plumb?
How is your signal on Galaxy 25(97west)?

I have the same issues. The littlest rust or spray from the welds will mess things up.
I would go with Pic #3 and Pic #5.
Did you recheck the Mount for Plumb?
How is your signal on Galaxy 25(97west)?

Thanks for the reply Lak7 so then I'll use the Level in the approximate middle position of the Big and Small Bars to measure Inclination and Declination??

I rechecked for the mount for Plumb and it is 90.0 or 89.9, looking in all 4 directions. This is easily adjustable on my Dish's Steel Tripod setup.

Galaxy 25 / 97.0W on KU Band is booming in with 200 channels & at least 5 Tp's with Q in 75 or 80's, so it's not a problem, but as mentioned in another Post, I cannot pick up any Satellites beyond 90.9W to the East, or 103.0W to the West direction.

Which Polar Mount chart are you using for your Angles, Regular or the Modified....
Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing

I use the Modified Chart, more accurate Tracking.

Lak7, I was lucky in that Linuxman made a great calculation on a drawing of my 12 Footer and Voom Voom also helped work out the setup for my area - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in a previous post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=21575&d=1201175343 it's dated 2/9/08. Turns out that for my location the objective is: 57.18 Declination - 50.57 Elevation = 6.61 degrees. But on the Sears Craftsman Digital Level if I round it off (since it only seems to go to 1 decimal point) I usually try for 57.2 Small Bar - 50.6 Big Bar = 6.6 degrees Declination angle. It does seem that my Elevation is a bit low since I'm seeing S Values on Satellites beyond 90.9 to the East and beyond 103.0W to the West below 60, so I might touch it up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts