How to prepare for a VOOM install FAQ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rick214

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
New Albany, IN
I recently was showing my VOOM setup to someone who was about to order VOOM. I suggested he go to this site to get some good information and advice on how to prepare for a VOOM install.

Things like getting the phone number of the company that will actually do the install, calling them in advance to make sure they have the equipment, check the antennaweb to see if the stealth antenna will be adequate, 2 lines instead of the diplexer, etc, etc.

I've looked through the "Important VOOM Information & FAQ's" section for a "How to prepare for a VOOM install" link or FAQ but I don't see anything obvious. I'm sure I could be missing it - my wife often proves to me that I don't pay attention sometimes :)

I know I've read a lot of great advise on this topic but it seems to be spread around in numerous threads. It would be nice if we had a FAQ to refer someone to.

Rick, congratulations! Hope you will like it.
It seems you have done enough research already, there's not much I can add, but it may help:
1. Check you house and selet the south facing location for the dish. I have a townhome, so I have to write to the association a letter...
2. If you have cable wired in your home, the installer generally want to reuse it. In my case, I kept my cable, and he had to put new wires through the roof. But I got a chance to ask him to run 2 separate wires for the OTA and dish. If you need to do the same, you may want to find out the roof access point and clear the way for the installer. And they may asking for extra $ for that too. ($150 in my case)
Good luck!

Rick214 said:
I recently was showing my VOOM setup to someone who was about to order VOOM. I suggested he go to this site to get some good information and advice on how to prepare for a VOOM install.

Things like getting the phone number of the company that will actually do the install, calling them in advance to make sure they have the equipment, check the antennaweb to see if the stealth antenna will be adequate, 2 lines instead of the diplexer, etc, etc.

I've looked through the "Important VOOM Information & FAQ's" section for a "How to prepare for a VOOM install" link or FAQ but I don't see anything obvious. I'm sure I could be missing it - my wife often proves to me that I don't pay attention sometimes :)

I know I've read a lot of great advise on this topic but it seems to be spread around in numerous threads. It would be nice if we had a FAQ to refer someone to.

Rick,

that's a good idea. Right now we are short handed but if you want to start the FAQ, it is yours. I will look at it as well and we'll add more. How about it?

Sean Mota said:
Rick,

that's a good idea. Right now we are short handed but if you want to start the FAQ, it is yours. I will look at it as well and we'll add more. How about it?
Uh-oh, :eek: This is like when I'm at work and I open my big mouth in a meeting and ask a question, then before I know it, I have a new assignment :D

OK ... well... maybe we can make this thread a brainstorming session where Voomers can contribute ideas of what should be addressed during the ordering / installation process. Then someone could take the best of the advice and put it in FAQ form.

Below is something I cut and pasted to a .txt file that helped me when I was getting ready to be installed back in December. I can't give proper credit to whoever composed this list 'cause I didn't save that part. I thought it was pretty good. Maybe we could use/build on this:

Guide to getting a successful VOOM installation:

1. Talk to your installer (the actual person), before he shows up at your door. Confirm what he is bringing, and find out his level of experience with VOOM installation. Make sure of: the type of OTA antenna, Voom box, 8vsb module. He should also have installation instructions which can be downloaded from the web.

2. If you have any doubts about getting a clear view of the antenna at 61.5 degrees, figure out the antenna elevation and azimuth beforehand, and try to figure out whether and where you have a clear view. Also figure out the path for cable run(s) to your TV.

3. Educate yourself in all matters related to a VOOM instllation before he shows up - especially tricky issues such as OTA antenna, channel mapping, diplexor, DVI connections, how to change the connection resolution, ....

4. For an OTA antenna, it is quite possible that the antenna installed as part of VOOM doesn't pick up far away stations that you want to receive. You may want to consider investing in another supplementary deep fringe UHF antenna such as Channel Master 4228. If you do, have all equipment ready beforehand.

5. As soon as the installer shows up, he should first validate/figure out the location of the antenna, and make sure there is a clear view. In my case, it turned out to be not on the roof, but on the ground in a corner of my property (too many trees.)

. Insist on having the installer use the signal strength meter in the satellite receiver. I've seen too many reports where the installer is using a hand held signal strength meter for alignment. This is not providing an accurate alignment according to reports in the field.

6. Don't let him touch your equipment. Make all the connections between the VOOM box and your home theater equipment yourself.

7. Observe every step that he is performing. Ask questions when you dn't understand what is happening. Stop him when it appears that the installation is going astray.

8. Don't let him make any irreversible changes to your place that you don't specifically approve. Don't approve any changes unless you are sure that the installation is going to succeed (mainly the satellite clear view issue.)

9. Don't let him leave when the download starts. Wait till it completes (20 minutes). Make sure that everything works before he leaves. To make sure you are not in an endless wait sate, hook up the composite out (or RG output) to view the software downloads.

Make sujre the RF remote controll input from the satellite antenna from the back of the STB is removed. The system resets, downloads, everything works. If your box doesn't work after trying the initial download, Mark Rubin had posted a procedure to get the box up & running. Try that.

10. Even with all this preparation, things will go wrong. Deal with it.

11. Make sure the dish is properly grounded - it's the law.

1. Installs Inc Telephone number should be included. Normally, Installs Inc will not give you the installer's phone number. However, you can let Installs Inc know that you want the Installer to call you.

OTA antenna: By Default is the Stealth Antenna (highly directional). It has a range of 45 miles UHF and 30 miles VHF. Go to www.antennaweb.org and select DIGITAL ONLY and get all live digital OTA stations for your location, miles, direction from you and type band (UHF or VHF). It will be good to find at what power your OTA stations are transmitting. If the OTA stations are more than 45 miles from your location, the stealth might not work. At this point convince installer to let VOOM upgrade your OTA antenna.

What type of Upgrade Antenna are people getting? What are the range?

What is the 8vsb module? Where is it connected? Is there a picture of it?

Do I need to provide a DVI cable, component, s-video, composite?

Do VOOM provides audio coax or optical cables?

Are there diagram for two, three, four receiver installation?

Should I have satellite installed on roof?

does voom provide multiswitch?

How many feet of cable free installation includes?

Wall fishing, is it included?

Do I have to use the diplexer?

Is there extra cost for adding addional coax lines?

Is there a fee for line of sight (LOS) visit?

What if my installer is asking extra to add a coax line for OTA?

2. Clear view to the South East. "antenna of 61.5" should say "satellite at 61.5"

I need to read more of your post and I will add more to the above.

Sean Mota said:
1. Installs Inc Telephone number should be included. Normally, Installs Inc will not give you the installer's phone number. However, you can let Installs Inc know that you want the Installer to call you.
Installs Inc: 888-987-3474 or 1-800-344-4856
VOOM 1-800-438-8666 customer service

Don't allow the use of a diplexer, have the installer run 2 lines for both OTA and the satellite. If you've already got your working OTA installation, all the installer has to do is run one line from the dish

Here's another one to be added. Initial installation is $0. But if you decide to add a receiver later on there is an installation fee (over $200).

If it were my install.....

A state license..would be nice (if needed in your state)

SBCA 1+2 card, cross checked with picture ID is a MUST.

Copy of VoOM certification, see my copy below (this is what they look like)

VoOM Hat.......

Attachments

• Pict0001.JPG
    Pict0001.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 998
Sean Mota said:
Do I have to use the diplexer?

Is there extra cost for adding addional coax lines?

Is there a fee for line of sight (LOS) visit?

What if my installer is asking extra to add a coax line for OTA?

Our install is set for tomorrow- the installer (Crave Electronics) says we need to give them $80.00 to not use the diplexor (my husband is on the phone with them right now at work). I just emailed him (my husband) the Install's Inc phone numbers.

deeann said:
Our install is set for tomorrow- the installer (Crave Electronics) says we need to give them $80.00 to not use the diplexor (my husband is on the phone with them right now at work). I just emailed him (my husband) the Install's Inc phone numbers.

Well... my husband called Voom. I guess the installer *can* charge if you want two separate lines for sat & OTA. It looks like we'll be using the diplexor.

[edit] these really shouldn't be in this thread so I'll start new posts and delete these after.

All of the threads that I have read stated that they cannot charge you for seperate runs. If they do you should contact Joe from Installs inc. The e-mail address is jharkins@installs.com. I've heard that some have contacted him and been reimbursed for the charge. I'm getting Voom on Monday so this is just what I have read over the last few days. I'm hoping that I dont have to worry about being charged.

nupe009 said:
All of the threads that I have read stated that they cannot charge you for seperate runs.
I think it depends on the length of your cable run. If the overall length is not too high, you might get this for free. Otherwise, prepare to pay extra.

I'm having Voom installed on the 18th of May.

Here's a couple of questions.

1.) How much should I tip the installer??

2.) How long will the install take??

3.) Can I schedule a install on a Saturday??

Here's one more. Initial installation is free but any additional receivers added to account after initial installation costs $200 for installation.

Another question - When the CSR says that the installation time is 8AM to noon, does that mean the installer will show up at 8 AM and the install will be completed by noon OR the installer will show up sometime between 8 and noon??

between 8 and noon.

Also include: Best to make appt on a Saturday so that you do not lose a works day. Be ready to deal with lateness or cancel appt. If the weather conditions in your area are bad, installer may decide not to install you that day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)