How to prevent "No HDMI Output" problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Skip Laughlin

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I think what I have to say here will only help those setting up an HR10-250 for the first time. But tell me what you think.

My first HR10-250 failed due to the recurring message that the internal temp. was too high. D* sent a replacement.

I received #2 and hooked it up. I knew the default output was S-Video, so I didn't worry too much about having the HDMI cable setup for DVI or having the TV set for DVI input.

So, the DVR powered up, it saw that there was no HDCP-compliant device at the other end of the HDMI cable and, like it says in the manual, turned off the HDMI output. I could never persuade it to turn the HDMI output back on. D* sent me another DVR (and I hadn't even shipped the first defective one back yet!)

I was connecting #3 last night for the first time and thought about what happened the last time. So, I got the TV turned on, set it for DVI input, connected only the HDMI cable for video output to the DVR, and powered it up. It came on, immediately saw the HDCP-compliant device at the other end of the cable, and came up with HDMI output on and the format set to 720.

Maybe this is just coincidence, but it occurred to me that maybe the flaw in the HR10-250 is that in some cases, it cannot turn the HDMI output back on once it is switched off.

So, if you want to use your HDMI output, you might follow this method. It certainly can't hurt anything and might prevent the problem.

I'll be curious to know if anyone else has a different result.

I believe that your TV manual, as well as the HD TIVO manual advises both devices to be OFF/STANDBY, BEFORE connecting the HDMI cable.

IMHO it is very likely that having the device powered on can cause a power surge along that connection and cook the interface circuitry.

For what its worth, I have had the HDTivo since September, hooked up a few different TV's, always making sure that the TV and the TIVO were off/standby and have never had a problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts