How To Repaint An Old Dish To Increase Gain

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
Hi I'm wondering if is possible to repaint a dish to get a better gain, if possible what kind of paint is needed or does it needs something else?

Painting a dish would not get you better gain. Bare metal dish probably would be better, but when you're talking about frequencies in Ghz and dish being a reflector for the signal
painting it isn't going to give you better gain. Paint it with non gloss metal paint something that will protect your dish from rusting and avoid gloss as the reflected sun can damage your lnbf. Aiming & skewing your dish better would give you better gain.

Ok, thanks so any kind of non gloss paint would be fine, can be sprayed or doesn't matters?

I'm asking this because I've read that those dishes made of carbon fiber have a metal coat

Reactions: DarrylZ
Krylon paint for plastic/and outdoor furniture works for me. I've always read that using "metalflake" paint might give you unpredictable results, so just go with a good name flat paint. I have a few I've painted with just gray primer.

Only way to get 'better gain' is a bigger dish. Assuming the original is tuned up to the max.
Painting: Spray [rattle can or spray gun], brush or roller, it don't matter. Just what works best for you.
Maybe 'get artistic'?

This one is my favorite.
images

Don't paint a fiberglass dish black could make it warp heat from the sun metal dish yes fiber no. Dull gray primer brown primer is best.

I painted my C-band dish flat green (army type green) so it would blend into the trees behind it. It was white before and stuck out like a sore thumb. Would always get comments like "what is that big dish for" and "do those still work" etc... Once re-painted no-one notices it. Works fine too.

Reactions: perazzimx15l
I guess the dish will work with any paint however I noticed that darker colours will do better since light colors will reflect more light and will heath to the LNB reducing the performance.

Something changed since the post. I see pray 's now also. When I type S P R A Y it turns into spray :facepalm

There are paints that block or harm signal; latex inside paints; washable paints (plastic in them); are very noticeable on the signal; all the way to failure! "metal based" paints normally (if they do not have plastics in them) do no harm; because they reflect satellite signals; and that is true also about gloss (the other materials in gloss might be doing it). A black dish absorbs light better; and is warmer to the touch; a lighter color is vooler to the touch. Do not paint the lnbf; as any paint on the "eye" will stop the signal completely.

Please RichyRich!!! You are spreading more BS on this forum than is found a barnyard! Latex-based paints DO NOT absorb satellite signals! Paints with plastics or poly coatings DO NOT absorb satellite signals! DO NOT use glossy finish paints as the reflected sunlight can damage the feedhorn and electronics. You are correct to suggest not using interior paint on an outside mounted dish. :D

Here is a good discussion thread that should address other questions about dish paints or coating. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...dish-used-by-satellite-dishes-factory.316953/

Then this dish thread is one of my favorites! LOL!!!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/dish-reflectors-non-metal.282601/

A few pointers for future dish painters. Prep the surface of the dish by scrubbing with a degreaser or other paint prep solution such as USP90 or Scuff Stuff. Lightly sand the surface to give the new paint a good surface to adhere to. Wipe the surface down with a lint free cloth and rubbing alcohol. Apply a flat finish paint to a small test area to first be sure that the paint adheres well. Wait a few hours (a day+ would be better) if all is well with the test area, finish painting the dish. And yes, I agree with RichyRich, don't paint the face of the LNBF!:eeek

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, don't want people to be led astray. :imshocked

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)