How to stop your 5yr old from recording every show?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peelpub94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
I have a techy 5 year old who now knows how to record his shows on Nick, Sprout, etc. I can't seem to find a way to lock down the recording feature. Just parental locking for channels and or PPV ordering it seems.

Any ideas?

I have a techy 5 year old who now knows how to record his shows on Nick, Sprout, etc. I can't seem to find a way to lock down the recording feature. Just parental locking for channels and or PPV ordering it seems.

Any ideas?

Sure. He is five years old! Take the remote from him!

Take the remote away.

Then every night spend a few minutes with them going over their shows and let them pick 3 or 4 shows that they want recorded. Try to start explaining reason to them. Eg. If they are home to watch something live then it might not be worth taking up a recording spot etc..

Use a visual indicator of how many shows they can record and take one away for every choice and tape it to a piece of paper or something with the time.

Great time to teach them about time, basic math and reasoning.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was auditing my series manager list the other day and he had just about every one of the Nick Jr shows on a series record.

The short list:

Remove the R button from the remote, just pull it out leaving a worthless hole.
Threaten the child, press R and I'll break your finger.
Threaten the mother, if child presses R you'll break her finger.
Remove the hard drive, that will stop anything from recording.
Call DirecTV and cancel your DVR service.
Plug a toaster-oven into your ESATA port.

:) Hope everyone knows I'm just kidding, please don't be angry that I reference breaking fingers, it is a joke.

This is awesome! My 4 year old thinks you can rewind anything........not just shows in the family room.....:)

And I thought I was the only one with this issue.

As far as the OP, yeah put the remote out of reach,

OR

This is more long term, unplug the box, make up something about it being too full of recordings and now it's full and won't work. You have to "fix" it, and just plug it back in the next day and delete a couple things.

Then explain to him how if he keeps recording everything, then he will break it again. Let him record a few shows, put them on auto delete after a couple episodes, in the series manager.

Do what I did, get them their own box, then if it's full well it's their fault and they have to decide what to cancel.

Do what I did, get them their own box, then if it's full well it's their fault and they have to decide what to cancel.

This is a 5 year old were talking about here.

I don't think I ever had my own TV till I was about moving out of the house, let alone my own CHOICE of what to watch.

This is a 5 year old were talking about here.

I don't think I ever had my own TV till I was about moving out of the house, let alone my own CHOICE of what to watch.

My daughter had hers since she was 5.

If the kid is smart enough to record what show they want they are smart enough to run their own TV.

My daughter had hers since she was 5.

If the kid is smart enough to record what show they want they are smart enough to run their own TV.

Thats not the point, but kids get away with anything they want anymore .....

More often than not, the parent uses TV as a babysitter, a very bad habit in the last 20 years or so.

(not pointing at anyone here, just saying)

Thats not the point, but kids get away with anything they want anymore .....

More often than not, the parent uses TV as a babysitter, a very bad habit in the last 20 years or so.

(not pointing at anyone here, just saying)

I agree, that's why I put a time limit on how much TV she can watch plus during school homework needs to be done first.

Any ideas?

one of 2 things ... teach him how to use the remote ... or get him his own recvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)