How to test locks without renting anything

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
After seeing a pay per view movie on my bill that no one in the house seems to have any knowledge of I decided to use the parental locks. The only thing I locked was purchase restriction on which I set a password. I would like to test this but am afraid of clicking on a "rent" button and being charged immediately.
I also would like to know if the purchase restriction has to be done on each tv or only once for the system. I have a Hopper and 3 Joey's.
Thanks

Also is there anyway to figure out what receiver ordered the PPV?

Each STB will need to be locked or you can have DISH set your PPV purchase limit on the account to zero.

After seeing a pay per view movie on my bill that no one in the house seems to have any knowledge of I decided to use the parental locks. The only thing I locked was purchase restriction on which I set a password. I would like to test this but am afraid of clicking on a "rent" button and being charged immediately.
I also would like to know if the purchase restriction has to be done on each tv or only once for the system. I have a Hopper and 3 Joey's.
Thanks

Also is there anyway to figure out what receiver ordered the PPV?

I just did a test for you. From the guide, channel 1 and 501 the Video on Demand programs, when I select it a window pops up that says Password Entry, The event is locked. Is there any other areas you want me to test? As n0qcu posted, each STB has to be locked out.

Thanks for trying that. I also got that. Here is where I'm not seeing that password prompt. Do a search for a movie called "Better living through chemistry" you will see a "rent" button, if you click that you will get another screen that allows you to choose sd or hd for $6.99 or $7.99. I did not take it beyond there as I was afraid I would be charged.

I just did a test for you. From the guide, channel 1 and 501 the Video on Demand programs, when I select it a window pops up that says Password Entry, The event is locked. Is there any other areas you want me to test? As n0qcu posted, each STB has to be locked out.

Thanks for trying that. I also got that. Here is where I'm not seeing that password prompt. Do a search for a movie called "Better living through chemistry" you will see a "rent" button, if you click that you will get another screen that allows you to choose sd or hd for $6.99 or $7.99. I did not take it beyond there as I was afraid I would be charged.

OK, I see what you are saying. Because that looked like a good movie, I took a chance and clicked on the HD version for $7.99 and the Password Entry window popped open wanting the password. So you are good to go. I thought maybe you found a leak in the control locks setup but the lock out worked. Just took more steps to get to it going thru the search procedure.

Thanks again for trying that. I also noticed that my home media server now requires a password, that was something I didn't need but it's no big deal.

Any HBO deals?

Autopay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)