How to watch PyeongChang 2018 Olympics in 4K HDR

Saw this posted on another site. Don't know if it does or doesn't work because haven't tested...Yet.

"For all who are having this issue (as I am) you can set your Hopper 3 to record the 4k channel and then using options > TV Activity can select the tuner that is recording the 4K channel on your Joey. I am currently watching speed skating in glorious 4K HDR on my 4K Joey. But I really hope they fix this bull**** soon. So dumb since I know channel 540 works on the Joey since I have watched Planet Earth II and college football in 4k with no issues last year."

Saw this posted on another site. Don't know if it does or doesn't work because haven't tested...Yet.

"For all who are having this issue (as I am) you can set your Hopper 3 to record the 4k channel and then using options > TV Activity can select the tuner that is recording the 4K channel on your Joey. I am currently watching speed skating in glorious 4K HDR on my 4K Joey. But I really hope they fix this bull**** soon. So dumb since I know channel 540 works on the Joey since I have watched Planet Earth II and college football in 4k with no issues last year."

Interesting. Can someone try that trick and confirm if it works? You would need a 4K HDR-compatible TV at your 4K Joey.

Guess I'll set my DVR to record all 4K Olympics so it's always available when I'm in a room with the 4KJ'S.
This is a total failure by Dish! I have totally reduced my service from them by just keeping a small package that is heavy on regional sports and other sports services...no movie channels, no kiddie crap. You pay for a hopper 3 and 4k joeys with little content and when it does happen to be available they blow it...with the known issue lame excuse.
I get first run movies via Terrarium and have Netflix, Amazon Prime, tons of other APK's on my smart 4k tv's and 4k fire tv boxes. As for HDR it is as stupid as 3D...colors are over saturated and not realistically enhanced...I have 3 separate manufactured 4k HDR tv's...total waste with the HDR on each. By the by if Netflix and Prime can deliver 4k and HDR to both HDR and non-HDR 4k tv's via streaming and do so with bandwidth limitations...how does Dish screw this up?...were they not prepared...did they not test before advertised...no excuses for this!

Reactions: pattykay and LQQK

I just tried that trick myself and I can confirm that it works!!!
Watching Ch.540 on my 4K Joey now! My Sony TV reports 4K HDR.
Looks good. I am seeing occasional dropouts, but I am not certain this is related.

I couldn’t use “Join” in Viewing Options, but “StartOver” did work! After starting from the beginning of the recording, I can then fast forward to Live TV.

Updated my original post to mention the trick.

I have six recordings from channel 540 in my Hopper 3. Can you explain the exacts steps for me to be able to watch them on my 4K Joey?

No, you can’t watch recordings, just the live channel (while it’s being recorded).

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just tried that trick myself and I can confirm that it works!!!
Watching Ch.540 on my 4K Joey now! My Sony TV reports 4K HDR.
Looks good. I am seeing occasional dropouts, but I am not certain this is related.

I couldn’t use “Join” in Viewing Options, but “StartOver” did work! After starting from the beginning of the recording, I can then fast forward to Live TV.

Updated my original post to mention the trick.
i can confirm it works also. it annoying but it works.
i am also able to see the recording on my 4k joey and it says 4khdr in the recording info and plays fine. i am sure dish can fix this with a FW update or its just compressing this so much when recording that is can play on the 4k joey.

i can confirm it works also. it annoying but it works.
i am also able to see the recording on my 4k joey and it says 4khdr in the recording info and plays fine. i am sure dish can fix this with a FW update or its just compressing this so much when recording that is can play on the 4k joey.
I have eight 4K HDR recordings from channel 540 in my Hopper 3 recordings folder. My 4K Joey that is linked to same H3 does not see any of them.

I have eight 4K HDR recordings from channel 540 in my Hopper 3 recordings folder. My 4K Joey that is linked to same H3 does not see any of them.
sorry. i have a home automation systems and i can see the recording in that interface. i just press play and it plays on my 4k joey. that why it leads me to be leave that its disabled in software.sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know that you meant 147-02 and 03, but what it means is you probably don't have a sub with a high enough tier. You must have AT120 or above....
I have the flex pack. So probably if I wanted to pay for a sports pack I could get it. But I'm not having to pay anything extra for it on Directv. So I will watch it on their system.

Enjoying the Olympics on 147-5 / 540. I had an issue where the video on 4K was black, but with sound. I tried rebooting with the same results. To fix it, I paused the other Olympic channel I was watching using "SWAP" in HD. (I think of it as the A and B side from days ago). I figure there was just too much being worked on by the Hopper3. With the other "side" on pause, the 4K came up and worked as expected.

Another work around is to move your 4K recording to your EHD. Works just fine. Can see the file on my 4K Joey and play it on my bedroom 4K TV.

Did not work for me. I moved a 4K HDR recording to my EHD. From both 4K Joeys I can now see the recording file. When I try to play it I get the 1540 popup window and I see the recording in the background. When I click OK in the popup window I see the recording for about a second then it disappears and goes to live TV. This happens on both my 4K Joeys that are linked to this Hopper that has the recording in the EHD. One TV is a HD model and the other TV is 4K but no HDR. Wonder why this work around works for you but not me. :coco

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts