How well do those Sonic Voom headphones work for AC3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I haven't found a need to cut any wires. Yes, the output audio is low, about 1/4 what you have on non ac3 audio, however, by leaving this connected to my TV all the time, I have found that I don't need to change volumn unless I switch over to OTA.

My problem with cutting the wire off the headphone is that no longer allows you to USE the headphones, and I personally find them beautiful to listen too, even on non AC3 programs. Plus, if I remember correctly, there are a LOT of wires in there, more than are needed, causing a ton of work tracing and soldering (IF I remember this correctly).

Use a mini RCA cable connector, you'll be MUCH happier in the long run, and there are TWO connections on the front for headphones. Keep one for using the headphones, and the other for use with the mini and RCA cabling to the TV. Adjust the volume control on the unit to max and you'll be fine. Plus, the headphones can still be used if quiet time is needed while one person watched TV.

I've been using mine this way for about a year now.

Photto's $.02

EDIT: Question was asked about the battery life ... as I recall, I haven't used it in quite a while, so I took it out, but only lasted a few hours, and drops out, dead quickly. Pulled battery so I wouldn't overcook it, "just in case".

>To call Canadian health care free sounds to some people like the cost is nil. (nothing)
>I don't agree.
>It's only free if you don't pay taxes. Eh?

As a Canadian immigrated to the US, I can say that people just don't get it and of course, it's the media keeping people confused because politics seems to control the news here.

Bottom line is that a social system is the ultimate way of doing things because then everyone is taken care of. But that doesn't come by keeping an old dinosaur around that doesn't know how to make money anymore if things change. That's the main problem here, that in order for it to work, the infrastructure also needs to change.

Yes, it does work, yes, it does cost everyone a little bit but anyone who isn't working, is on their own or with kids and isn't able to take them to the doctor will tell you, that's when it really hits home. Those who have benefits will never get it until it hits them also.

Oh, wasn't I looking for headphones?

I don't understand the price. They went from over a hundred bucks down to under $20.00?
Too bad the headphones are hardwired to the encoder.

Last edited:
the headphones are not hardwired....they unplug from the decoder

Yep, and they have been around 20 bucks for at least 2 years. My decoder has been in continuous operation for 2 years and has never been touched or looked at since I hooked it up.

If I was better at soldering I would try to cut into a set and put RCA plugs on...might do it anyway.

I haven't found a need to cut any wires. Yes, the output audio is low, about 1/4 what you have on non ac3 audio, however, by leaving this connected to my TV all the time, I have found that I don't need to change volumn unless I switch over to OTA.

My problem with cutting the wire off the headphone is that no longer allows you to USE the headphones, and I personally find them beautiful to listen too, even on non AC3 programs. Plus, if I remember correctly, there are a LOT of wires in there, more than are needed, causing a ton of work tracing and soldering (IF I remember this correctly).
Photto's $.02

Photto,

If you take a look at the link I posted yesterday in this thread there is not a ton of tracing to do because I listed the colors of the wires and which ones to connect to. This makes use of the "in line amplifier" the lump half way up the headphone cord. It's easy, just splice this on to a RCA patch cord. Will give you great volume and sound.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/224438-cyberhome-ac3-headphone-wire-colors.html

Jim

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts