How will the DVR hook up?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Will the DVR replace the Voom box? I keep wondering how the DVR will wire in to the mix. Will it take the Sat signal before the Voom box? It can't possibly accept DVI or Component to capture can it?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

--Dan

The DVR in itself is a Voom Receiver. It will have two satellite tuners and two OTA tuners. If the Home Network client solution is implemented, you may use your current receiver as client to watch pre-recorder programs on the DVR.

Will it need two feeds coming fromt the satellite to the DVR or will it just need one? That remains to be seen.

Sean Mota said:
The DVR in itself is a Voom Receiver. It will have two satellite tuners and two OTA tuners. If the Home Network client solution is implemented, you may use your current receiver as client to watch pre-recorder programs on the DVR.

Will it need two feeds coming fromt the satellite to the DVR or will it just need one? That remains to be seen.

Unless VOOM can change physics, it will have to have 2 seperate inputs for satellite (unless of course VOOM uses all even or all odd transponders, which currently they do not). OTA on the other hand only needs one input, the box can split the OTA input internally if designed that way.

Jerry

I have my Voom service scheduled for next Saturday, 3/5. Thinking ahead to the hopefully near future when I will have the DVR, would it be wise to have the installer run 2 cables from the dish to the main receiver? One cable would not be used until I get the DVR. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this. Thanks for any help.

Wouldnt it be nasty if "when" the dvr comes out, that its offered to "new customers" as a package deal first, and then making current customers go on a waiting list?

Sean Mota said:

My DirecTV Ultimate TV receiver with dual tuners had to have two dish inputs. I was looking at the back of the Voom DVR receiver that someone posted and although the picture was a little hard to makeout, I saw one input for off-air and one input for the dish. But like I said, it was hard to make everything out from that picture.

Meanwhile, back at the DVR ranch...

I installed additional receivers back in December under the $1 offer and still have a hole sitting in the basement ceiling where I ran additional coax cables. I ran a total of 4 coax cables in preparation of the HD DVR. I actually ran a 5th coax cable for Whole Home Networking, but I can't patch the ceiling until VOOM tells us how they are going to implement Whole Home Networking. Coax, cat5e or twisted-pair? Anyway, my 6 port wall outlet is filled and I'm not about to replace it with an 8 port outlet.

So which one is it...coax, cat5e or twisted-pair? I won't have much time for such repairs once the grass starts growing and the missus is giving me the evil eye. VOOM/Motorola engineers front and center.