How will we watch TV in five years?

It all depends on how you watch TV and how much TV you watch. If you are not a big watcher, and can wait for netflix for most shows than you could probably already come out ahead just by buying and streaming the few shows that you want watch now and wait for Netflix. If you live to watch sports 24x7 your future starts to look very expensive.

How will we watch TV in five years? http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...baig-how-we-will-watch-tv-in-5-years/4475565/ Very Interesting andf things I agree with and disagree with !! :)

Here I expected to read something forward thinking. :( Half of the article was a very glowing prediction about 4K TV. The other half said nothing new, including some bird-brain claiming we would watch TV on our smart watches. I already refuse to watch TV on my smartphone, due to the screen size. Why would I want to watch it on an even smaller screen? Of course nobody talked about the death of OTA, or the exorbitant/bundled payTV model falling apart. That is what I wanted to read about.

I think that at some point everything will be streamed on demand that isn't live. News and sports will remain live but tv episodes you will start and stop at your leisure (netflix/hulu style). All on demand content will have commercials. Commercials will be in an unavoidable format. Commercials may stream continuously across the bottom of the screen. They may be integrated into the story, product placement style, (watch the "Crazy Ones" or "The Truman Show" for examples of what I mean). I'd like to think that 3-d tv will come along soon but since we still don't have robot maids or flying cars 3 dimensional characters in my living room probably won't happen in five years.

We went through a bigger/faster phase with larger tvs (think projection tvs) and bigger, faster gaming desktops. We went through a smaller phase where speed and power was compromised for a smaller footprint and less specialization (think ipod touch, led tvs with apps). We are near or coming out of the end of a larger/faster phase again as smart phones become tablets and we saw some more specialization as smart phones became ereaders. It will be interesting to see how things trend.

Here I expected to read something forward thinking. :( Half of the article was a very glowing prediction about 4K TV. The other half said nothing new, including some bird-brain claiming we would watch TV on our smart watches. I already refuse to watch TV on my smartphone, due to the screen size. Why would I want to watch it on an even smaller screen? Of course nobody talked about the death of OTA, or the exorbitant/bundled payTV model falling apart. That is what I wanted to read about.
they already have a laser keyboard that reflects of a desk (works ehh) I predict smart watches that will contain mini projector that will project a decent size tv image

I'd like to see a voice-activated cell phone small enough to stick in my ear.

We will ALL have TV sets in excess of 60" diagonal BUT the actual program will occupy a 24" diagonal frame. The REST of the display will be filled with commercials/advertisements, which we will be paying our IPSs $300 a month to stream.

:( 936full-idiocracy-screenshot-520x291.jpg

We will ALL have TV sets in excess of 60" diagonal BUT the actual program will occupy a 24" diagonal frame. The REST of the display will be filled with commercials/advertisements, which we will be paying our IPSs $300 a month to stream.

:( View attachment 94698

While that may be the dream of ISPs, I think they would find their systems subject to eminent domain long before that happens.

Here's my current set up: Hulu, netflix, Amazon, OTA, FTA and I noticed on my CC am paying for Aereo (??).

I predict in 2019 the middle men (cable/sat companies) wont be around (or be drastically different in how they operate) as I see broadcasters selling their programming directly to the consumer through smart TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, rokus (ie HBO icon/app, CBS appetc). A-la-carte is going to be the future.. just a matter as to when it gets here as people are already "cutting the cord" because they're tired of high prices and having to pay for 40 channels they dont want just to have 15 they do watch.

I dont think OTA is going anywhere... user backlash and government intervention but I do see Aereo getting its arse kicked in the end.

Who knows, live TV as we know it might be coming to an end (except for sports/news)

Either or, its going to be interesting times ahead

Kraven- I'm following your lead. I just signed up for Hulu+ last night.

For some reason my VIP722k failed to record The Good Wife while I was away for 2 weeks. I thought it could be seen on Hulu+ but, no go since Hulu+ only seems to have old episodes from last year. Then, I saw Vudu has it for $1.99. But I wanted to see if it could be seen for free. Tried to catch it on CBS.com but no way to get it on my HT screen. For some reason the sound was corrupted by the HDMI on my Surface Pro but came out fine on the Surface speakers. I tried the ipad but ipad doesn't do Flash. Then I get an email from CBS site advising me to get ipad app. I did that and voila! I connected my HDMI adapter to the ipad and connected to my AVR and with a bit of frame sizing I had The Good Wife on Jan 5th episode via my ipad full 105" screen and stereo sound.

It appears that today IPTV requires a plethora of devices to have all the programming at a low cost. I need PS3 for 3D and 7.1 on Netflix and Vudu. I have the WBTV for 2D Netflix and Hulu+. Now need ipad to see the latest network shows from CBS. I have WBTV for You Tube 2D and SBS 3D. So, how many more boxes will I be needing.

What's missing is DVR capability. It seems TIVO could come to the rescue if they incorporate a full IPTV DVR with user selectable apps off the internet with no limitations like Flash on ipad. With that I could record these shows and skip past the commercials like we now do with the Dish Network DVR.

Hopefully, in 5 or less years we will have a full featured DVR for IPTV and even OTA with no limitations at the box like audio, video, apps, lack of internet browser, lack of OTA, lack of commercial skip and trick play on all programs. TIVO is one company that could innovate this if they could regain their mojo vision. Maybe Apple too but not in 5 years. We would need to give them 15 years. :(

Hulu's owned by NBC, ABC and FOX.. hence the little to no CBS content. if CBS would get on-board and offer all its primetime shows, then Hulu could possibly become the change/diffence make us consumers ahve been craving for..IMO

Cheers, K

CBS only recently struck a deal with Hulu to provide archive access to its shows, everything current goes on cbs.com.

OTA won't die but the major broadcast networks will be putting more/most of their shows on their cable networks and the OTA affiliates wont get more than national news from them, if that. I see the OTA affiliates moving their subchannel networks (MeTV, AntennaTv, Cozi, Movies!,ThisTV, etc..) to their main channels and putting out more syndicated shows and locally produced news shows. Our locals already put out 6hrs of local news with a few hours of national and syndicated stuff from 4am to noon and then another 2 hrs of local news with a half hour of national news from 5pm to 7pm. If abc,cbs,nbc and fox moved all their network stuff to the cable side, it wouldn't be difficult for our locals to move a subchannel network to the primary feed and go about business as usual.

The only thing keeping the Cable companies afloat now is the NFL and MLB. Sports are the only reason you need cable. If Google or Apple can snag NFL Sunday Ticket and stream it that would be the game changer that would force everyones hand.

I currently subscribe to a service that offers 107 channels (no shopping, religious and infomercial channels) including many in HD, HBO, Showtime and NFL Sunday Ticket for less than $8 a month. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)