How will we watch TV in five years?

There is no need for "live" tv on most of the channels that we have other than news/weather. The future of television is "On Demand" and anything live can be viewed via IP. Satellite companies could download all the television shows to your hard drives and they could use the rest of the space on the satellite for data. For those on cable you could access any television show from their server. Some may bypass the middleman altogether provider on demand on their website charging a fee for it.

Kraven- I'm following your lead. I just signed up for Hulu+ last night.

For some reason my VIP722k failed to record The Good Wife while I was away for 2 weeks. I thought it could be seen on Hulu+ but, no go since Hulu+ only seems to have old episodes from last year. Then, I saw Vudu has it for $1.99. But I wanted to see if it could be seen for free. Tried to catch it on CBS.com but no way to get it on my HT screen. For some reason the sound was corrupted by the HDMI on my Surface Pro but came out fine on the Surface speakers. I tried the ipad but ipad doesn't do Flash. Then I get an email from CBS site advising me to get ipad app. I did that and voila! I connected my HDMI adapter to the ipad and connected to my AVR and with a bit of frame sizing I had The Good Wife on Jan 5th episode via my ipad full 105" screen and stereo sound.

It appears that today IPTV requires a plethora of devices to have all the programming at a low cost. I need PS3 for 3D and 7.1 on Netflix and Vudu. I have the WBTV for 2D Netflix and Hulu+. Now need ipad to see the latest network shows from CBS. I have WBTV for You Tube 2D and SBS 3D. So, how many more boxes will I be needing.

What's missing is DVR capability. It seems TIVO could come to the rescue if they incorporate a full IPTV DVR with user selectable apps off the internet with no limitations like Flash on ipad. With that I could record these shows and skip past the commercials like we now do with the Dish Network DVR.

Hopefully, in 5 or less years we will have a full featured DVR for IPTV and even OTA with no limitations at the box like audio, video, apps, lack of internet browser, lack of OTA, lack of commercial skip and trick play on all programs. TIVO is one company that could innovate this if they could regain their mojo vision. Maybe Apple too but not in 5 years. We would need to give them 15 years. :(

If you can get it to play in a chrome browser you could use chromecast to get it to the big screen.

The future of television is "On Demand" and anything live can be viewed via IP.

True. Let's call it the Netflix model

Satellite companies could download all the television shows to your hard drives and they could use the rest of the space on the satellite for data.

How long will it take, if ever possible, for Satellite download to match our current cable speeds? My folks, living in the middle of nowhere have satellite internet and the thing is slower than molases.

I'll probably be watching it the same way I do now: OTA, Netflix, and Hulu (and hopefully FTA within 5 years). Anything that airs while I'm not home is DVR'd, and things I really want but don't have access to, I find access to. Once my promo internet price is gone, I'll probably switch to the internet + HBOGo option from Comcast, at least during Game of Thrones.

If you can get it to play in a chrome browser you could use chromecast to get it to the big screen.
I was really unimpressed by the chromecast and returned it. I had choppy video, poor resolution, and audio that was out of sync, especially when watching video from the cbs website.

Hulu's owned by NBC, ABC and FOX.. hence the little to no CBS content. if CBS would get on-board and offer all its primetime shows, then Hulu could possibly become the change/diffence make us consumers ahve been craving for..IMO

Cheers, K

Makes sense, thanks!

My ultimate goal is to obsolete Dish Network and the VIP 722k monthly at $125* per here now.

The CBS app seems to work well on the ipad. I will look further into ABC and NBC shows on Hulu+ per your suggestion.

* Well that was last month. Just received email notice Dish Network raised my monthly bill to $148.75 from $125. I need to look into this. Did Dish really increase the rates that much? That's almost a 20% increase over last year. I'm now $65 more than cable for the same programming group.

Last edited:
Makes sense, thanks! My ultimate goal is to obsolete Dish Network and the VIP 722k monthly at $125* per here now. The CBS app seems to work well on the ipad. I will look further into ABC and NBC shows on Hulu+ per your suggestion. * Well that was last month. Just received email notice Dish Network raised my monthly bill to $148.75 from $125. I need to look into this. Did Dish really increase the rates that much? That's almost a 20% increase over last year. I'm now $65 more than cable for the same programming group.

Don, that seems way out of line with the reported increases. Is it possible you also have temporary credits that are expiring?

As for CBS streaming, just be careful because they are the worst when in comes to episode availability (especially earlier episodes of the current season). I've found myself having to find other means of viewing if for some reason a recording from CBS fails.

I dug deep into the website and found where I can see my actual itemized bill. It seems I am billed for 39 days in advance on Showtime, plus the normal $14 charge. The AT250 did go up by $5, probably what everyone else sees. I don't understand the extra line item for Showtime. Guess I need to call them.

Two of my most watched channels are the Military channel in SD and Sportsman channel in HD. Unfortunately I can't lower my bill without losing these two. I wonder if there is a way to lower it with a la carte.??? Need to look into that too.

CBS- I need to catch the latest episode for The Good Wife on Jan 12 and then I'll be caught up.

I don't mind paying for what I want as long as I can control content & have no commercials.

...plus all the taxes and cable/video franchise fees you've haven't paid in the past.

There is no doubt the price will keep going up no matter what way you decided to get your programming. OTA may be free but the commercial time has been slowly going up year after year, costing you more time.

Five years is a long time. Perhaps by then the economy will have finally collapsed, followed by the EMP bombs, nukes, and requisite die-off of 90% of the population in the big cities. Watching TV might not be high on anybody's list.

In five years, for those with access to connections greater than 25mb, will have the option to be 100% IPTV.. all channels will be individually purchases, a la WWE Network.

Yes we will get exactly what we want, but at 2-5$ a channel per month, its going to get expensive.

I was in the UK recently and I was really shocked at how better the television experience was over there. Their stations actually still have live booth announcers. How long has it been since we had that over here? And you didn't see the exact same program repeated two or three or four times in a row. And the ending credits on programs were not truncated. And you didn't get those promotional logos dancing all over the screen.

I generally tend to be a conservative who opposes excessive government involvement, but if we could get television like that back again I would almost consider going to a system like they have in the UK where television is supported by taxes on television sets.

I was in the UK recently and I was really shocked at how better the television experience was over there. Their stations actually still have live booth announcers. How long has it been since we had that over here? And you didn't see the exact same program repeated two or three or four times in a row. And the ending credits on programs were not truncated. And you didn't get those promotional logos dancing all over the screen.

I generally tend to be a conservative who opposes excessive government involvement, but if we could get television like that back again I would almost consider going to a system like they have in the UK where television is supported by taxes on television sets.

Remember in England you have to pay a TV licensing tax... 142.50 pounds to have TV in your house to pay for OTA programming. Then you pay for cable or satellite too...

In five years, for those with access to connections greater than 25mb, will have the option to be 100% IPTV.. all channels will be individually purchases, a la WWE Network. Yes we will get exactly what we want, but at 2-5$ a channel per month, its going to get expensive.
i agree, WWE Network open up like pandora box, and it can't be close now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts