• Somewhat!

Votes: 100 23.9%
  • Very Little!

Votes: 112 26.8%
  • Not at all!

Votes: 163 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not at all worried. The industry as a whole is in a slow down. Granted, Dish lost customers, but do you know how many new customers they hooked up to lose all those customers (that kinda sounds bad). I am putting in 2 - 4 New Connects a day, just like I have been for the last 2 years. Not sure why it's not slowing down in my area as much.

no worries here

I've been a sub since '98 when all of my friends had D* but weren't necessarily paying for it. The one thing that confuses me is that no one gave D* as hard of a time when E* had HD channels that D* didn't get for almost two years. Even if E* were to implode on itself I'd simply just up my Netflix account, watch my 300+ DVD/Blu ray Disc collection and watch/record OTA via my 2 tuner HTPC.

Worries, but not about Dish. Who will be the next president? Will I continue to make money? Will my family be healthy?

I've wanted my locals in HD for several years now. But why worry? Dish will ultimately cover them, probably within 9 months--I'm looking to see at least 100 new Local HD dmas lit up by next June. Mine will be among them. I have the faith.

:D:D:D

I'm not particularly worried. I've been watching Echostar for well over 10 years now and it always seems the forecast is for doom and gloom and yet here they are, still going. Say what you will about Charlie and company, I think things are better off than everyone thinks. Even so, Dish has entirely too large a customer base to simply disappear. The absolute worse case would probably have them getting snatched up by a competitor (cable/D*/etc...).
Say I didn't read these forums and therefore know more about the inner workings than probably most of their customers (who don't read forums such as this)? What would my opinion be? Gee, my service works and they're there when I call them. All seems to be in order.

I voted Very Worried!

I was worried when the dropped Voom, I did not see that as a good sign.

I had DirecTV for 4 years with a TiVo DVR and then switched to Dish with a 622 DVR.

There never was any comparison, Dish won hands down, both with their DVR, PocketDish, and 24/7 Monsters HD (and a few other Voom HDs no one else had).

Today I am fine that Voom is gone, but I was and am worried because Dish no longer offers Voom w/ Monsters HD, channels worth staying with Dish for because no one else had them. That HD edge is gone now. Channels between Dish and DirecTV are equal now.

I'm worried because Dish is very very behind (compaired to DirecTV) in sat launches and has had sat and launch failures. I'm worried beauce I am totally addicted to Dish Network technology and switching would take away luxuries I cannot get anywhere else.

I have hope though. I doubt Charlie is going to sit back and do nothing. I'm hoping that Dish will release a WiFi patch so the new Gen 7 Archos devices can stream DVR content through the net and be viewed anywhere. If any company is going to come out with new and inventive technology, it's going to be Dish Network and EchoStar.

People here love their DVRs. Lots of us have used external storage years before DirecTV, but how many of you take full advantage and own/use an Archos device (PocketDish, Gen 5, Gen 7)? If you are not using an Archos device, then you really do not know how amazingly cool your DVR is. I can't wait to get the new Archos Generation 7. No one offers such cool options and I would hate to switch because Dish can't keep a bird up or maintain decent business relationships.

I think once the new birds are active by years end, we'll have an idea where DishNetwork is standing/going.

No contract here.....but, VERY WORRIED.....DishHD Absolute (best deal in HD)....................not ready to pay more than $29.99 monthly for TV.

Last edited:
Not particularly worried. Lawsuits are business as usual for Echostar. They win some, they lose some, and the ones they lose they've found workarounds that limit the damage. Everything I need is on Dish - local HD, increasing numbers of HD channels, stable receivers. Satellite launch failures are out of Echostar's control. They use the same launch vehicles that everyone else does. The satellites themselves are state of the art. Echostar 2 failed. No big surprise - it has to be over 10 years old, and wasn't used in one of the critical satellite slots. Echostar 5 is being replaced (not a big deal for me, it works fine here in the Midwest). The replacement might have been up by now if not for the slowdowns at ILS. Why worry?

In this world, there are more important things to worry about than the survival of DISH - which with 12+ Million subscribers, is not an issue.

I'm more worried about the company I work for surviving than DISH. A paycheck is higher on my list of concerns than Television.

How worried are you E* customers that stuck are in contracts, about the direction E* seems to be going?
With the Local HD that were supposed to laund July 30th ,that still haven't. The LOW numbers per quarter.
The dropping of channels without notice
Lawsuits (TiVO)
Lawsuits (Voom)
Disagreements with FOX.
The Satellite failures, and Launches that failed.
Again whats the feeling about this?
Directv back with Tivo
MLB Pack, Now MLB Channel

Please explain your answers.

Hemi, you hit the nail on the head.

Im out of contract and downgraded my service because of thier( dishes) shananigans
with Voom.

But to see how they play hardball with providers is just poor bussinesss.
Why does Charlie conduct bussiness like this?

I can understand getting the lowest price, but pulling channels off the air because
you want to is just stupid. I know Walmart strangles their suppliers into submission with lower prices. This kind of sounds like Charlie at Dish.

I think dish, to me, is running scared. This whole Turbo Hd? Ive had the service with all HD..Whats in the name???

If dish can treat their venders poorly.. Why would they care about the subs???

Hemi, you hit the nail on the head.

Im out of contract and downgraded my service because of thier( dishes) shananigans
with Voom.

But to see how they play hardball with providers is just poor bussinesss.
Why does Charlie conduct bussiness like this?

I can understand getting the lowest price, but pulling channels off the air because
you want to is just stupid. I know Walmart strangles their suppliers into submission with lower prices. This kind of sounds like Charlie at Dish.

I think dish, to me, is running scared. This whole Turbo Hd? Ive had the service with all HD..Whats in the name???

If dish can treat their venders poorly.. Why would they care about the subs???

I don't know who's in the right, but you talk like these "vendors" are providing free programming for Dish to carry as a public service. I can remember my cable company back in the 90s dropping MTV for 2 or 3 years, back when people actually cared about that channel, and not having ESPN2 for years after launch. Everybody plays the same games, there's probably tons of near misses on every provider that no one hears about.

I don't know who's in the right, but you talk like these "vendors" are providing free programming for Dish to carry as a public service. I can remember my cable company back in the 90s dropping MTV for 2 or 3 years, back when people actually cared about that channel, and not having ESPN2 for years after launch. Everybody plays the same games, there's probably tons of near misses on every provider that no one hears about.
And let us not forget about the millions of cable customers who did not get the Big 10 Network last fall.

And let us not forget about the millions of cable customers who did not get the Big 10 Network last fall.

Anyone living in the Los Angeles area should still have a faint memory regarding Time Warner Cable having a dispute with the local ABC station (if I remember correctly - correct me if I'm wrong) and it being yanked off of their system for a short amount of time - I think it was about a week or so. Speaking of Time Warner Cable, did they ever reach an agreement with NFL Network (another popular dispute)?

Speaking of Time Warner Cable, did they ever reach an agreement with NFL Network (another popular dispute)?

NO to the NFL Network question. Still not available on TWC.

They just inked a deal with the Big Ten Network on 8/26/08 to carry football games on the analog, digital, and HD version of the channel.

At least here in NW Pennsylvania, and NE Ohio.

It is available now.

Yes, but not because I'm a customer of theirs. I think it's a shame that the TV industry is so hostile against smaller companies. Let's face it, in 4 or 5 years, the only 2 media distribution hubs will be Comcast and Time Warner, maybe AT&T and FIOS will still be selling TV service, and by then I'd expect AT&T and Verizon to be making a deal to become one.

That's half the reason I *DON'T* want comcast. I don't want to support monopolies, I'm all for choice, and the day DirecTV and Dish Net merge I'm going to be sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts