How you move or Lift your Big dish antennas ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vallenato

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2011
America
The Mainly reason to upgrade our Dish antenna in more size is to get more stuff and be happy. We know that more size = more weight and we start to claim to help to anybody else to move the stuff.. I have moved and Lift myself until 6 ft metal (sadoun) but also we have a high risk to get any accident..
The intention of my thread is to know any idea or to see how you are moving and Lift your proper stuff ? and maybe I can get any idea to move and Lift my stuff..I know that the better way is to claim help with one or two guys but sometimes nobody is available when you need to move something.
I saw around some “vehicle Motor lift” or “Cranes truck” that maybe could help, the first picture I saw on ebay around $200 bucks + free shipping is really not expensive and Could help a lot..
The third picture is my stuff that I am trying to move or lift whenever I need.. I am showing sadoun 6 ft and Wsi International 8 ft.. I do not want to think if I could get any 10 or 12 Ft in the future:eek:
Comments are welcome
$(KGrHqN,!pEFEViW-DwhBRG8YWlLB!~~60_35.jpgm98FbJg5dqmflcpfq-bj4jw.jpg02-08-13 095i.JPG
:)

When I worked in Cable TV we always used the hydrolic lift arm on the bucket truck. We did have to hire two large wreckers when we put up a Simulsat dish though.

I'm going to take my 10' fiberglass down (been there since early 80's, laid over for 2 or 3 years) going to take the tripod feed mount off first, then take bolts out of mound and roll it away and turn over to take the 4 panels loose... (tree in way unusable now)

LaserUP 002.JPGLaserUP 003.JPGDishlifter.jpgDSC00328%20(Large).JPG

A small hand operated crane that straps to the pole is what is used by professionals. for example

Think this is about the dish you've located on the edge of a roof.

Rent a Bucket truck But very very careful. Take your time and do all the prep work* before the guy arrives with the truck. (they charge by the hour I'm sure) Make sure the only thing left to do is 'pick it' off the pole and place it on your trailer.
(Maybe the current owner, of the dish, will split the cost???)
Then cut the pole at ground level, salvage the cabling, clean up, and haul it home.
*Remove feed and it's supports, remove the actuator, loosen mount from pole and get all the wiring 'out of the way'. (May need to cut some bolts)

EDIT; confused with post by Carlos Hernandez http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303934-satmex5-and-local?p=3100438#post3100438
Please accept my appologies.

Last edited:
bring friends

Both by BUDs were reasonable size and weight (see my signature).
Both have H-H motors, so we unbolted the dish and lifted it off.

The heavier Birdview took three guys standing on the ground to lift off a pole sticking up 6-7'.
And three of us worked to carry it to the flat bed truck.
Didnt remove the feed at all.

The perforated dish was 9-10' in the air, but there was a structure for one guy to stand on.
Think I stood on a ladder.
We lifted the light dish (without motor) and handed it to two others on the ground.
Two of us carried the dish with feed to the flatbed, without effort.
We used one hand each. :)

Every situation is different : weight, height, access.
There's no one best way.

Got the dish off of the mount, now to get the mount off of the mast after 30 plus years... (Hi Lift jack hasn't budged it yet)...
Sounds like it may need a warm up with the smoke wrench, then a few love taps with the sledge.

Put a torch to it Don.

I stuck an 8' on the pole alone, but I had forks on a loader to do the lifting. I put the mount elevation down to 90° so the "table" was horizontal, then put the dish on a pallet, which then went on the forks. The dish cg was at the ends of the forks, so a strap held it pinned to the center of the fork rack. Easy maneuvering of the tractor placed the pallet next to the mount "table" at the same elevation. Walking it off the pallet and onto the mount was easy enough. I wouldn't do it alone on a windy day though!

I must be nuts but I did my Birdview by myself. Just the mount weighed a ton. I got the 6 inch BV pole mounted on the 3.5 inch pole I had for my other dish. It was plumb and solid. I somehow lugged the mount up to the roof, and using ropes I lifted it onto the six inch pipe. I think it was basically luck and I should have died doing it.

Once I got the humongous polar mount on, I pointed the mount straight up and, when the wind wasn't blowing, I set the dish onto the mount. That was the easy part. Too macho. Not wise. Don't do what I did.

I moved my 10 footer about 15 miles to the new house once we moved in back in 2000. I have a car trailer and I took a piece of 3.5 tubing about 6 ft long and welded a cross on the end made out of 4" channel iron so I could stand it up on my trailer. Then I used two 6 inch C clamps and clamped the post X brace bottom to the trailer floor. Then 3 of us took the dish off it's mount and mounted it on the post clamped to my trailer. Chained it down and brought it to it's new home where a post was already waiting for it.

The 7.5 SAMI I have came from a neighbor that's about 3 miles from me so we just sat that one in the back of my Chebby pickup and brought it home. The trailer mount would be better for something further away though.

Linuxman used to get a bunch of his Linux club members to join him in his van/suv.
They pulled a low boy trailer.
He bought gas & meals, and they supplied the muscle. ;)

for a 10' mesh on a 7' pole
put a pick-up truck on each sides of pole
put dish between the trucks each men get in their truck. lift dish on to the mount and wife puts the bolts in.
reverse for a removal. too easy
pick-up truck with ladder inside works well for adjusting feedhorns too.

Boom trucks and forklifts :D

View attachment 85388

This is a 1.8M offset on the front of our building.

View attachment 85390
When I saw the first picture I said to me looks like 1.8 mts offset and then you are confirmed in your second picture..
I would like to know where you get and if those are on sale on your store?..it looks not heavier like older 1.8 offset antennas..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)