Howard County Grants Verizon Cable Authority

I work nights so I don't get out much in daytime except on my days off.(Thrs, Fri.) Went out today to run some errands and Verizon is all over the place laying orange cable starting with the border line with PG Co. at Wiskey Bottom Rd, working north. Man, they sure didn't waste any time!!--Ray

Thats pretty cool. The orange cable you are talking about is really the conduit that they pull the wire through.

Anyways, I went out today and took about 14 pictures or so with conduit, FiOS utility boxes, and some fiber. I would like to post it, but what do you think the best way is to post this many pictures at once?

Should I make them all attachments because the total size of all pictures are 20.7MB since they are high resolution?

IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG

Well looks like they all fit haha...click to enlarge.

First 6 pics are in the second section of our neighborhood...

next 5 are by the entrance to the neighborhood on the other side of ours...

last 1 is behind my home...

yea, thanks...

I tried taking the top off one of those green boxes, but i couldn't figure out how to get it off since it was locked in place. I didn't seem to see a "key lock" anywhere, but i wanted to try to get it off to see if conduit is running into there or if the conduit already has fiber in the box. It's just too bad, though it's hard to do that when theres cars driving by and people in the area. I wouldn't want to make myself too obvious...

jgantert said:
Woo-hoo. Just got the little flyer on my door saying Verizon will be digging in our neighborhood!!!

Not much longer now... :)

-John
Congrats! I'm happy for you:) and yet sad for me and the many like me who won't see FiOS TV in our areas for another 12-24 months.:(

Adelphia (soon to be Comcast) is horrible in my area, so it look like my only choice will be to folk over $$$ on Dish's MPEG-4 hardware. It's either that or caugh-up $700 for a Sony ATSC/QAM HD DVR and use it for network only broadcasts...wife may kill me and cash-in the insurance policy.:devil:

I find it odd that verizon is digging in neighborhoods around me...and yet, as I have been checking the construction schedules since december...I never have seen any of these streets posted.

I still dont have any digging for conduit on my side of the neighborhood even though the two neighborhoods on either side of me have the conduit in. I really hope they will come soon because if verizon runs on time...they are supposed to have their TV service activated by early-to-mid April.

Edit: On Dslreports I heard that verizon's projected start date for howard county is April 15!

Last edited:
mdtvzhockey023 said:
I find it odd that verizon is digging in neighborhoods around me...and yet, as I have been checking the construction schedules since december...I never have seen any of these streets posted.
Damn good question...I keep hearing similar things in various forums. Here is what is posted on the Verizon Maryland website: (perhaps someone would like to call?)

For inquiries, contact the following contractors working in your area:
S&N Communications, 800-757-6842
NTI, 866-796-7770
CableCom, 800-322-6852

I still think the schedule is for the laying of fiber. If they're digging, they are just burying the conduit. Our neighborhood is finished with the digging phase. Next up is the running the fiber (in about 1-2 weeks, according to a Verizon worker).

I expect our street to be on the April list.

-John

I'm trying to remember when they laid the conduit in my neighborhood (maybe a year ago), and it seemed like it was real fast after that they had the internet up and running. With the legal actions out of the way, they can do both tv and internet quickly- they'll just dig from the street to your house and get you set up with both on the same visit, so cross you fingers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts