Howard County Grants Verizon Cable Authority

Well, do you remember my previus post from last wednesday about CableCom comming out within 72 hours and beginning to prepare for conduit and such (according to the door-hanger).

Now it has been about a week, well over 72 hours and there isn't even paint markings on the grass. The weather has been well and there is no sign of CableCom trucks in my neighborhood.

Should I call the number on the door-hanger to see what is going on?

Give it some time. First they need to mark everything (Ms Utility). Then a few days after that, they will start digging. I think they hand out the flyers for an entire neighborhood, so they may have started somewhere else, and just not made it to you yet.

-John

Well finally, today, two weeks after I got the notice on my door-hanger, there was a guy that came into our neighborhood that made white lines and boxes with the marking paint throughout the neighborhood.

I know the white means that it is the proposed excavation and also this should mean Ms Utility (as stated by jgantert) should be comming in soon before the paint slowly fades away.

At least I'm glad to see they haven't forgotten about us and gives me positive insight as to what they will soon be installing. Just remember, 72 hours = 2 weeks lol.

By the way, jgantert, I realized today was your set install date for intertnet, how did that go for you?

Last edited:
That sounds great! Hope to hear from you about how great it is once you get it.

After a month since i got that door-hanger, they have just yesterday started putting conduit in our neighborhood. But, they got slowed down a bit because they hit a gas line down the road. It was leaking everywhere and there were firetrucks and BGE gas emergency crews that had to come.

I have also noticed where they have installed conduit in my neighborhood, they left spools of corning fiber that come out of the ground. So i guess this means that theyre putting in fiber along with the conduit. Hopefully all goes well.

Visited the Verizon Fios kiosk in Columbia Mall Friday. Very impressed with the well informed staff and they were impressed with my knowledge(learned here) of their system. So impressed we might get a few new members here. Was not greatly impressed with the picture quality on their LCD display. Discovery HD looked a little grainy but I think most of the problem was caused by to much ambient light from the Mall lighting. Still excited about Fios and closer to being a candidate for switching from D*.---Ray

I also went to the Fios Kiosk at the Columbia Mall last weekend and I really liked how they had everything set up. I asked the guy that worked there if regular SD channels will always be stretched like that on a 16:9 tv. He said that they asked the tech that question because the tv outside of that room showed 4:3 normally and the other stretched it. He said the tech did not know why, even though they were both HD DVR boxes.

Hopefully the tech that comes out to my house knows the answer to this because I hate watching 4:3 stretched on a widescreen.

Otherwise I thought the picture quality was very good (blows comcrap away). Though it could just be those LCD's that make it look bad. I noticed that they were also using component cables instead of HDMI.

Last edited:
My HD DVR does 4:3 pillarbox. My cheap TV can't stretch or zoom an HD image, and the HD-DVR does not have that capability either.

So, if you watch a program thats 4:3 letterbox (actually 16:9), I can't stretch it to fit my full 16:9 screen. One feature I do miss from the Comcast box.

-John

Yea I noticed that in the paper. Nice!

Well I have a question regarding the amount of time for availibility.

About a week or so ago verizon passed the fiber through their conduit and in the past week I have seen several verizon trucks at different boxes working with the fiber in their truck.

Now there are verizon trucks near the entrance of our neighborhood and they have put that tan coloured box on the pole, the fiber is hooked up to that and they have been working there for the past two days.

Any idea how long it will be until I am able to order?

The neighborhood over that got their conduit installed 3 weeks before ours has had fios availible for a week now.

Thanks.

New HD channels for Howard County!

801 WTTG
802 WUSA
803 WJLA
804 WETA
807 WRC

These are the DC locals in HD! Just missing 20 & 50. These new channels pretty much make my antenna for receiving DC Redskins games obsolete. Damn, my $400 investment only lasted like 3 years (Needed it with Voom & Comcast to get DC HD Channels).

-John

Well, now I am finally full of happiness because the other day I checked my number for fios tv and internet and BOTH are AVAILIBLE!

I am thinking of ordering tonight...

1 HD/DVR, 2 SD, with movie pack... I'm not sure if its worth the extra 7 dollars a month to get the home media DVR.

After I entered my number there is a link I can click that says "Get it Today," but to order both internet and tv to have on the same install date I would feel much better calling them to put my order in.

Does anyone know the 800-number to call to order in howard county? Thanks.

Not sure of a local number. I think you need to order the internet online to get the first month free. I did the internet online, then I had to order TV via phone.

I wouldn't do the MrDVR if you have an HDTV. The hard drive fills up quick with HD content. And none of the HD content can be streamed to the other 2 SD boxes.

-John

Okay, thanks, I'll do that...but what I am worried about is if internet and tv are ordered seperately (like you said internet order online and tv over phone...or maybe even both ordered online) can i have just ONE install date for both services (internet, phone, and tv all on the same day).

You probably can, but it would make it harder for me if they were separate install dates.

Didn't order last night because I wanted to be sure of this...but now that I see you get the first month of internet free when ordered online I think I will go for that.

Also, I have a friend who lives about 8 miles away who ordered a couple days ago and his install date just for internet is set for about one month later (they must be busy in my area).

EDIT: Before I remember there was a discount on internet if you currently have their DSL service. Is there still a discount i can get because I have their DSL? I did not seem to find anything on their website.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the DSL discount. You might need to call to get that promotion. Are you sure you can order FIOS TV online? When I tried, it said to call the 800 number.

My neighbor called to order FIOS, and said that there was a long wait as well. Sounds like they are very busy with all of the new orders.

-John

Called up today and ordered FiOS!

FiOS TV Premier for 34.95 /mo (discount when ordering multiple packages)
HD/DVR box - 12.95
2 SD Boxes

(Will add on movie pack later)

Getting the 5/2 internet for 29.95 /mo (discount because we have their dsl)

Install date of September 12. yay!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)