Howdy from Team Summit

Meaning possibly that the hd will return to its formal glory 1920 x 1080i, and that sd could be at least as good as 480p or dvd quality.

Let's not get too carried away :D This is still a satellite tv company we're talking about here.

The only increase in PQ I think we'd see would be the Voom channels going from 1280 mpeg2 to 1440 mpeg4 IMHO.

Sure is a lot of speculation over this. When in actuality there are little known facts and nothing else forthcoming. My guess is if there is any more info, Scott will post it. Till then, I can't see how 95% of the questions asked here could possibly be answered.. Most of us have already guessed that Dish would go 100% mpeg4 in the future. And that somekind of swapout would have to take place. This does give us a possible start date, but then it could just be coming "Soon" :)

Well this is a place for discussion and speculation . I think you will see a lot more speculation in the days and months ahead since little has been said in writing by Dish .

Sure is a lot of speculation over this. When in actuality there are little known facts and nothing else forthcoming. My guess is if there is any more info, Scott will post it. Till then, I can't see how 95% of the questions asked here could possibly be answered.. Most of us have already guessed that Dish would go 100% mpeg4 in the future. And that somekind of swapout would have to take place. This does give us a possible start date, but then it could just be coming "Soon" :)

Best post of the whole thread! Finally someone with some common sense! ;)

Hearing these announcements and thinking about them is like hearing how big the lottery jackpot is and dreaming about what you are going to do with the money.

We can all image what the future holds, but without any solid details all of it will be just wishfull thinking and dreams.

But if your a Satellite Nerd like me I think most of these dreams and ideas of the future are exciting ones. In fact in my thoughts and dreams on this subject I would say, the future is so bright, I got wear shades. :cool:

The good news in all of this is that Dish has a plan that will keep up with or continue their advantage over D*. The business plan looks solid as it allows the current customer base access to what they have today without doing anything. Those who want more will have the opportunity to buy what ever equipment is needed to take advantage of the new offerings.

E* will almost have to advertise how good it is going to be in order to offset the spin D* is already putting out there about 100's of HD channels.

It does seem that the one weak spot is the HD LIL market that D* is now filling and E* is falling more and more behind in. By the end of the year, this could cost them a lot of customers.

Surely there must be something that they can announce that we can see in the next month or so. Charlie chats can be used to speculate the future. Something real should come out of Team Summits.

Dish has no plans to promote this until it is ready.

We will probably see external storage in the next two months. It is just rolling out to its public beta testers now.

Yeah that the smart way to do things wait until you have things up and running. Instead of advertise on things that do not exist yet so overall Dish is doing things the right way. Direct on the other hand I think folks and starting too see that they are behind on the times.

Yeah that the smart way to do things wait until you have things up and running. Instead of advertise on things that do not exist yet so overall Dish is doing things the right way.

But look at it this way. D*'s been doing all the HD capacity advertising, E* hasn't advertised or announced their plans. Come 9/5/07 D* fires up all the HD channels that they've been talking about, overtaking E* as the HD leader. E* has still not said a word about how they're going to match and/or overtake D* so people start to leave E* for D* and the 2 year commitment. Then December 2007, or a few months later, E* officially announces their big plan and it's available now. How happy would you be if you made the switch because E* said nothing about their upcoming plans?

I am willing to bet that come 9/5/07 DirecTV will not be firing up all their new Channels. Many of the mentioned channels will not even be on the air by then.

I met with Universal and the Tennis Channel yesterday, they dont expect their channels online until the end of the year if not early next year.

But look at it this way. D*'s been doing all the HD capacity advertising, E* hasn't advertised or announced their plans. Come 9/5/07 D* fires up all the HD channels that they've been talking about, overtaking E* as the HD leader. E* has still not said a word about how they're going to match and/or overtake D* so people start to leave E* for D* and the 2 year commitment. Then December 2007, or a few months later, E* officially announces their big plan and it's available now. How happy would you be if you made the switch because E* said nothing about their upcoming plans?

Well I think actions speak louder than words Dish just adds the channels the ones that are available. To where Direct talks more about channels that aren't even up and running yet. So right now you get more HD Channels with Dish than Direct that is all there is to say. Right now Direct talks more about HD Channels that aren't even up yet which is ok. So until more Networks get their HD Version of the channel up and running no need to worry about getting them until then. So when these Networks get their new HD channel up then we can see when Direct and Dish add them like everyone else. Right now its best to get Dish for two years because they have more right now instead of going with someone who has less and making promises on things that have not happen yet. Overall all anyone has to do is compare the two HD Programing and see who has more to offer. Either way it seems Dish waits to see what the Networks do before they make any kind of commitment which is the smart thing to do. But like Scott said Direct and Dish plus others will be adding more HD when its available so go with what fits you the best. Right now I just like how Dish does things compared to others. Thats just my 2 cents. :)

Come 9/5/07 D* fires up all the HD channels that they've been talking about, overtaking E* as the HD leader.

Is there some guarantee that D* is going to launch all these channels that the providers say don't even exist on Sep 5th?

Just depends on if the Networks have them up and running by then if they do then anyone can carrier them. So for now we will just half to wait and see what happens.

I would not be shocked if E* does not launch this new service in MPEG4 stop 'selling' new subs to the MPEG2 service and then once (a few years down the road) get everyone converted to MPEG4 they can shut off the old MPEG2 channels and reclaim their bandwidth at 119/110.

If they can do a 1 dish solution at 86.5/97 with MPEG4, they could easily do it at 119/110 once they convert everyone to MPEG 4 down the road.

Everyone in the past has judged Charlie for not being a leader and not doing this and that, I have a feeling that in the end E* will come out ahead.

I can also see Dish Network not allowing new subscribers to use MPEG-2 but would have to use MPEG-4 at 87/97. A Dish500 can handle that. Those wanting to upgrade could simply have their dish moved to receive at those locations unless a special lnbf would be required that is different than what they currently have. I just wonder if they will allow MPEG-2 receivers to be activated. If existing customers are still using MPEG-2 then I hope they will allow them to activate used MPEG-2 receivers as well if they prevent new customers from activating them. They may want all new activations to be MPEG-4 only to save replacement costs in the future.

They probably want to allow existing customers to keep 110/119 for MPEG-2 so that they can allow churn to wither away those subscribers that would be using that slot by the time they would do a swapout. This would save them money. The question is, once everybody ends up being at 87/97 what are they going to do with the bandwidth at 110/119? They will not want to move everybody's dishes from 87/97 to 110/119 when they already have them pointed at a slot receiving all the channels that they need. Maybe they will simulcast what is on 87/97 on 110/119 in MPEG-4 as well when they get ready to do the rest of the swapouts but I doubt that since they would just have the installer move the dish since the installer is already out there doing the swapout. This leaves 110/119 as additional slots that they would have. Maybe they could sell it to SkyAngel or use it to lease out the bandwidth to others such as SkyAngel and use all of those old MPEG-2 boxes for SkyAngel.

They would probably start with the higher prices channels converting them to MPEG-4 only when they want to get people off of 110/119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)